1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How long will the wishbone pistol style work...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by juck, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,318 Messages
    3,043 Likes Received
    Thing is there are teams who run the pistol who do not have big time running QB. The offense is not based on a QB ablity to run there are many option you can run off of it. You have 3 WR. TE and RB it is not all about the QB being able to run. It is not the wishbone option.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,686 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    He cannot afford to take big hits. The Rapist is a large QB who can more readily absorb them. RG3 cannot. He will have to learn to run only when necessary.
  3. Doomsday101

77,318 Messages
    3,043 Likes Received
    True but more important is to know how to protect himself by sliding or getting out of bounds. Trying to pick up the extra yardage is going to get him hurt.
  4. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,129 Messages
    1,159 Likes Received
    Next year I expect teams to dramatically alter the way they defense the Skins offense. Happens each year. That's why the league has a history of QB's, even HoF'ers, who struggle in their 2nd season as a starter. This year we are seeing it with Cam Newton. Even Matt Ryan regressed his 2nd season and he's a very traditional style of QB.

It's not really the pistol. Quite a few teams use it, like the Saints. I think it makes life a little easier for the tailback and play action to be made. That's where it fits RG3's biggest strength, his ballhandling skills.

As far as RG3 goes, I have watched the past 4 Skins games. He can't beat teams from the pocket unless he uses a playfake that the defense bites on. Each game, his worst throws of the games were quite bad and they came on passes from the pocket where the Skins either didn't play fake or the defense didn't bite on the play fake. He can't see over the linemen and he can't throw comfortably in closed quarters.

I suspect that opposing defenses will assign a weakside defender to rough him up every time they do a read option. If he hands it off to the tailback, they can still drill him. And it would lead to a QB that takes a ton of hits, even more than Roethlisberger (who is far larger and still injury prone).

Right now, the best defense against the Skins is a good offense. They don't score a lot of points, particularly for leading the league in yards per play. Everything is predicated on the running game. Get a 14 point lead, now they are forced to pass and the play fakes are less likely to fool defenders.

YR
  5. AmericasTeam31

AmericasTeam31 Active Member

1,226 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    The Seahawks hardly ever run the read option. Same with the Colts, and the Bills? Really threatening to have Ryan Fitzpatrick running any kind of an option play.... It's not nearly as "big" or as up and coming as you might think. I think the wildcat is the perfect example of this.

Remember when Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams started that whole thing in Miami? Then the following season just about every team in the league had a package of wildcat plays in the books. Well it failed, horribly. Partly because not every team outside of Miami had the right parts to make it work, but mainly because defenses figured out how to defend it.

That is more or less what you are seeing with the read option right now. The read option has nothing to do with the pistol, or the formation. It can be run from any shotgun formation. Now teams are seeing the quick success it has and every team is saying the same thing they did about the wildcat. "Hey man, this is working and no one has it completely figured out yet. We should put in a few of these plays for ourselves." That's what makes it seem like it's taking the NFL over, not because of it's wide spread use as a predominant offensive system.

The Falcons used to run the read option a ton with Michael Vick. They even made it to the NFC Championship game with it. Granted RG seems to have a little more sense above the shoulders than Vick, but the point is that if I were a defensive coordinator, I'm digging up film from Tampa games back then to see what they did to combat him. BTW, he had "olympic sprinter speed" even more so than RG, and a rocket arm as well.

One last thing, totally off topic of the read option, how is it that if the player who scores a TD cannot go to the ground and celebrate his success, but RG can stand 40 yards away and do his little falling celebration with no flags?
  6. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,125 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Funny how the redskin fans in here think its great and all the rest think eventually he gets blasted or it ends. lol. I will say this Giants lost that game redskins didnt win it. Penalties lost the game. I personally think a good James Harrison style blasting will end it lol
  7. Wayne02

Wayne02 Well-Known Member

2,319 Messages
    639 Likes Received
    What makes you think that he can't see over the linemen? Just curious.
  8. AmericasTeam31

AmericasTeam31 Active Member

1,226 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I think one of the best ways to stop it is to take away any chance that RG has to run on the edge. Your DE or OLB has to account for him EVERY PLAY. That doesn't happen now. Against Dallas, you could see it coming. Morris took and took and took handoff after handoff. You could see the OLB's start to crash inside, they set them up. Then it was a fake and RG went off the edge for two big runs. The same thing happened to NY on Monday night. Osi and the boys got sucked in thinking he wasn't going run. Next thing you know he's around the edge for 40 yards. You simply have to make Morris beat you in the run game. Give him 120 yds. That's fine with me. But don't give him 90 and give RG 70 too.
  9. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Jason Piere Paul on the scheme in the weekly media session

10. rdskn4eva

rdskn4eva Member

90 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I wonder if Drew Brees can see over his lineman?
  11. slaga

slaga Member

214 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    That is because RG3 is reading the DE or OLB. They make the first move, and then RG3 decides whether he hands it off or runs it himself. If you leave that OLB in contain all night, RG3 will hand it off every time.
  12. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

997 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Watched the Giants game again. Noted some observations of Griffin's plays:

13-21 attempts, 163 yards, 1 TD
    3 passes dropped by Josh Morgan, Pierre Garçon, and Logan Paulson.
    3 passes overthrown. (1 within 1-10 yards, 2 from 20+ yards)
    10 passes were thrown from the Pistol using playaction.
    10 passes were thrown from the Pistol NOT using playaction. (One completion called back due to offensive PI)
    2 plays from under center were completions.
    4 option plays. The results of those four plays were one hit on the sideline, one slide, one where Griffin went out of bounds, and one tackle from behind.)
    1 screen play called all game
    5 times RG3 looked off his primary read, went through progressions, and made completions to secondary options.
    2 of those secondary options were WRs who hadn't left the line of scrimmage.
  13. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    You know what is a far more fun watch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdXNY3_MnLo
  14. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,399 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    One funny part about people saying they will figure out the scheme...
    It's a college offense, etc.

They all played against this offense in college or HS. They should already know it.

Seems like a silly point to make to me.
  15. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    What was his Contagiousness Per Smile Ratio?
  16. 30yrheel

30yrheel Well-Known Member

2,600 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    gimmick offense, won't be successful very long.
  17. Wayne02

2,319 Messages
    639 Likes Received
    The Pistol is a gimmick offense? Don't watch much football do you?
  18. Doomsday101

77,318 Messages
    3,043 Likes Received
    I agree. It is no more of a gimmick than the WCO.
  19. 30yrheel

30yrheel Well-Known Member

2,600 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    as run by an nfl team, yes.
  20. Wayne02

2,319 Messages
    639 Likes Received
    No it's not, just because an NFL team is running it, doesn't make it a gimmick. As Dooms pointed out, you must believe that the WCO is a gimmick to huh?