1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How many CUDA Cores do you have?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Sam I Am, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Time to upgrade tupper! :laugh2:

==========================================

NVIDIA is releasing the GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448-Core GPU.

Just in time for the holiday buying season, NVIDIA is at the ready with a brand new graphics card. Sort of. Today, NVIDIA is announcing the GeForce GTX 560 Ti with 448 cores. Some of you may be thinking, “Hey! GeForce GTX 560 Ti cards use the GF114 GPU which offers a maximum of 384 cores!” And you’d be right. This new GeForce GTX 560 Ti with 448 cores, however, isn’t built around the GF114 GPU. Rather, the GeForce GTX 560 Ti with 448 cores is outfitted with the same GF110 GPU powering the high-end GeForce GTX 570 and GTX 580, but with a couple of its SMs fused off.

There are some other factors that differentiate the GeForce GTX 560 Ti with 448 cores from other GF110-based cards as well, but NVIDIA had a bin of the GPUs with 448 cores available and decided to put together a graphics card that would fill the gap between existing GeForce GTX 560 Ti and GeForce GTX 570. Instead of naming the card something like the GeForce GTX 565, however, NVIDIA chose the GeForce GTX 560 Ti with 448 cores moniker because the card will be a limited edition. Once the bin of 448-core GF110 GPUs is gone, so will the GeForce GTX 560 Ti with 448 cores. NVIDIA is also only offering this card in certain key regions—it won’t be a worldwide release.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Complete Review
  2. dback

dback Member

809 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Very nice. GPU clusters are the hot topic in scientific computing since you can get more FLOPS/dollar with some of these cards. Imagine having a 100 node cluster with 3 of these things in each.
  3. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
  4. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,849 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    I recently got this for a steal.

A sony series of mistakes and errors on a lesser laptop let them to send me this one

Cost of lesser one: $600 (was worth $1,800)

The one they sent me was:

Sony VAIO VPCZ12GGX laptop

Processor Intel Core i7 620M / 2.66 GHz
    Multi-Core Technology Dual-Core
    64-bit Computing Yes
    8 GB RAM
    2 - 256 SSD
    Features Intel Turbo Boost Technology
    Max Turbo Speed 3.33 GHz
    Backlit Keyboard
    Graphics Processor / Vendor NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M / Intel HD Graphics - 1 GB

Spec'd out at $4,000+ when I got it last year
  5. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    lol, I thought it said it was a new 580 series. I didn't notice it said 560. I need to get more sleep at night. :laugh2:

I quit spending $500 for video cards. Now, I just buy a highly regarded model that is in the $200-$300 range.
  6. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Nice. Though I can't see myself spending lots on a laptop. I build up my desktop and then would just buy a decent laptop to do work from.

I'm thinking about getting that ASUS Transformer Prime to be my laptop. I can use that when I'm at co-locations with the servers or when traveling. When I'm traveling, I just need VPN, web, ssh, rdesktop, and IM access and I'm good to go.
  7. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,885 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Same here and they still serve my needs for several years.
  8. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Im currently running an NVIDIA GeFORCE 280 GTX 1GB card. I have been thinking about upgrading.

Any thoughts?

ATI?

NVIDIA?

Something in the 300-400 range would work.

I also need to take my desktop to 16GB from 8. Its 2 yrs old and appears to getting a lil slow. I have had some choppiness in Skyrim a few times.
  9. tupperware

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    I used to do this, but I try and do a full system rebuild and just scrap some parts every 3 years or so. With my last system, the 8800 GT graphics card was way too long in the tooth when I built this system. I wanted this system to still feel good after 3 years. If it does, I might even stretch it to 4 or so.
  10. tupperware

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Nah you shouldn't need more RAM unless you're a super duper multi-tasker (and I mean HUGE) I have 8gb and never max it, ever. Invest that money in to a nice SSD SATA 3 drive (Even if your MB doesn't support it, you can swap to a SATA 3 port when you finally make a motherboard change in the future). I'd personally recommend this 480 core version of the GTX 560 TI nyc just posted. The dropoff isn't much. I definitely would do SSD though if you don't currently have one.

So:

SSD
    GTX 560 TI (480 core)

Your choppiness is most likely due to your GPU. What CPU do you have?
  11. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I like the SSD option. I will take a peek at Dells site and see what they have available. I have a nice zero interest account w/ them that is sitting empty atm.

Thank you for the suggestion.
  12. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I like what ATI is doing by open sourcing drivers etc, but I've never had an issue with any Nvidia cards I've bought so I've always stuck with Nvidia.

Upgrade to 16GB from 8GB? :confused: What do you use that would even eat 8GBs? I have 8GBs and I usually have a few free GBs of memory even when playing Skyrim or BF3.

It would have to be something artsy fartsy. :laugh2: (ie, video editing)
  13. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    CPU is Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 at 2.9GHZ if I remember correctly.

My system is SMOKIN. Its a Dell XPS 630i. The reason I got it was the hardware at that time but mainly because of the true ATX case it had. Not only was it a great looking tower, but it was trul ATX and I could do w/e upgradew I wanted in the future, even system board replacements that aren't Dell specific. Any ATX MB will fit.

Appears the future is now. :D

BTW: Dell has a Post Cyber Monday Sale going on today.

You can get 27" Planar HD WS monitors for 209.99 today. GO GO !!!
  14. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Yeah, SSD is my next upgrade. I figured I will get two of them and then still keep my 1TB drives.

One for the OS, and One for the large games. (Skyrim, BF, etc) I hate long load times. :mad: Then the spindles for other games and storage.
  15. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,885 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    I bought a HD6970 card earlier in the year and it's been rock solid. Some people don't like ATI cards/drivers but I've never had an issue with one.
  16. tupperware

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Your CPU will start showing its age pretty soon with newer games but it's still more than capable to play most any game at a decent level. One possible issue will be bottlenecking. I think the Q9450 is riiiiight at the barrier where if you don't OC it at all it will bottleneck anything over a 560 TI, so you may want to go for the original TI over the 480 core version. But really, your setup right now taking into account all parts is pretty decent. You won't really want to drop much money in a GPU because in my opinion the performance gains seen over your current GPU don't warrant it considering when you finally do build a new system, you probably won't stick with the 560 TI or maybe you will (I wouldn't, though).

That seems like the best bang for your buck route at the moment, a 560 TI and an SSD. The SSD won't impact in game performance too heavily but will help a lot with games that have a lot of in-between loads and level loads (I'd think Skyrim would fit that criteria) But the SSD will benefit everything and a Sata 3 SSD will last you some time to come, so can be swapped into any new builds you do.
  17. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    How is your crashing of Skyrim going? Are you impacted by it? The reason I ask is that my tech and I are back and forth about Skyrim crashing more often than not on NVIDIA cards than ATI. He runs an ATI card similar to yours and swears he not crashed more than 1-2x in 40 hrs of play. I have probably crashed 100x in that time frame. :mad:

Checking SSD drives now

CRAZY SPENSIvEOMG
  18. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    ...and there are tiny! You don't get **** in GBs for your money! :laugh2:

I haven't kept up with SSD drives since the Intel X25 came out some years back. They had a lot of upside, but a lot of downside too and they were expensive so I just marked them off my list.

That will change with my next upgrade.

What SSD drives are good these days tupper?

Here ya go Dallas. 960GB SSD and it's cheap!
  19. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Awesome information Tup, and thank you. I will def be going the SATA3 SSD option for sure. I might just see what that buys me before grabbing a 560TI.

Appreciate your knowlege.

Thanks
  20. tupperware

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    What I do is run the OS and games I play a lot on the SSD and put most of my data and other applications/games on another drive.