1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How many of you guys (and gals) ride?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by TheCount, Sep 3, 2009.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    I just got my M endorsement on my drivers license a couple of months ago and I'm looking to do more riding.

I got into it because there's a group of us that enjoy tinkering with project bikes and scooters as a hobby and here in NY, you need a motorcycle license for anything that goes over 30 mph.

Just curious if any of you ride and if so, what? I'm a tall guy (6'6") so it's a little tough to find something that'll fit me comfortably, so I'm still looking.
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,066 Messages
    805 Likes Received
  3. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,785 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    vtx 1800 retro cruiser.......big twin & pipes--snaps like rifle fire....

dang relaxing
  4. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,890 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I rode for several years in college and my bike was the only mode of transportation. Had a really nice CBR600 F2 that was a joy to ride.

Not my pic but I had the same color scheme:

[IMG]

I'd love to get another bike one day but riding in Houston traffic would scare the crap out of me.
  5. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,103 Messages
    3,115 Likes Received
    I am currently without a bike, but I do ride, and I hope to have a new Harley soon.
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    I'd love a Harley, I'm more a cruiser guy that a sports bike guy, but I love the cafe racer style, mostly for how stripped down they are. I'm currently looking real hard at the Triumph Bonneville or perhaps an old Honda to work on myself.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,287 Messages
    4,606 Likes Received
    Jarv rides.
  8. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There is an old biker thread in the members zone iirc. Lots of members here ride.

Count, if you're looking at old triumph stuff, be prepared to invest twice as much as you initially think. Love trumpets, but they're a pain in the ***. The new ones are dope though...throw a hardtail on a new Bonnie and be done with it.

Still looking for a shovelhead if anyone has one laying around. :)
  9. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey Count, have you sat on any of these bikes yet?

Good idea to start with something in that 750-900 range IMO. Ride it for a year, get some miles under your belt, and then move up if you want.

I like a standard bike. The Bonnie is a great looking bike, too.
  10. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Driving in Houston is scary enough
  11. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I've had various dirt bikes and several superbikes.

ZX-7
    GSXR-750
    R1

I have since gotten married and have two small kids. So lets just say that motorcycles aren't my wifes favorite thing, so now I ride a Schwinn.
  12. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    I sat on a friends Triumph but it wasn't a Bonneville, but I did fit on it. I plan to get something used, I need more experience working in traffic, I've only ridden on relatively free flowing roads.

I don't plan on bothering with anything pricy till I've got a good deal of experience.
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,530 Messages
    3,832 Likes Received
  14. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,735 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Definitely more of a sport bike guy myself; haven't owned one (due to living in a ****ty place for riding). I do mess around a bit on some friends' bikes though.
  15. Viper

Viper Active Member

2,190 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have a black vulcan 1500, I'm 6'2" and it fits me like a glove. Living near Chicago, we don't have a long riding season. I'll get me a Harley one day, but I'm keeping the Vulcan for the days the Harley needs repairs.:D
  16. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Smart plan.

I know that a lot of guys love their huge displacement bikes, but there is also a lot to be said for a relatively lighter, more agile and maneuverable bike, especially early on.
  17. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    when I saw the thread title I thought,,,,,