1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How many times can an ACL be repaired?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by ghst187, Jan 10, 2013.

1. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,405 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    before a football player's career is over? I have to wonder about it given RGIII's second repair of the same ACL. Really hate it for the guy, really like him, hate it that I like a Redskins player. But I have a hard time imagining him tearing it a third time and him not being "done" with football. Couldn't happen to a better franchise but shame its such a great player and total class act.
  2. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

806 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Not sure. I keep waiting to hear something about the state of his meniscus and also cartilage loss. Both of which haven't been mentioned. Apparently the procedure was only supposed to take about 2 hours, but wound up taking 5.

I'm concerned. Gonna be a long offseason.
  3. taggy24

taggy24 Member

88 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    my friend tear her acl 3 time by playing volleyball. doctor told her if she tear it again itll be serious might affect her for rest of her life.. it depend on muscule and how serious tear each time
  4. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

1,739 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    I may be wrong, but IIRC I think Mark Schlereth had like 20 knee surgeries?
  5. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,655 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Those were more than likely scopes
  6. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm a layman, so take this with a grain of salt.

It depends on the details of the surgeries, particularly the second and subsequent. A third injury to the same knee would be bad news.

First, you only have two patella tendons for autografts, so the third would have to be a hamstring tendon or cadaver tendon, which have a lower rate of success. More importantly, ACL reconstructions rely on tunnels drilled through the femur and tibia. Most of the time, new tunnels have to be redrilled. Eventually the bones themselves will be compromised and may required bone grafts.

Athletes have returned to sports after three ACL reconstructions, so it's not written in stone.
  7. DallasInDC

DallasInDC Active Member

1,849 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    True they may have come back after three, but they the same player? I got to believe it will affect GIS game mentally if not physically after 3.