1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How much do you pay Dez Bryant?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Galian Beast, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,086 Messages
    1,329 Likes Received
    In 2013 Dez Bryant was 13th in the NFL in receiving yards, yet he was 2nd among receivers with touchdowns.

Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald make 16 million a year, but I think it would be really difficult for Dez to command that much. If he holds out for that type of money, I would franchise him, and then trade him.

What I think is much more reasonable is that 10-12 million range, which I think is legit compensation for Dez, but also doesn't break the bank for the Cowboys.

And I think you need to sign him for at least 6-7 years, so we're talking about a max 84 million dollar contract. Maybe a 15 million dollar signing bonus. Maybe 25 million guaranteed.

I think Dez is one of the only players on our team with actual trade value. I don't think we should jump into a bad contract, but I think we can pay him whatever and not necessarily be afraid to trade or release him.

One of the beauties of rebuilding your team is that generally you shouldn't be too afraid of dead money, especially with big money players. It's when you have a lot of high value players who are all underperforming... that is when you need to start worrying.

At this point I think we can get away with not resigning guys like Bruce Carter and Morris Claiborne, but we are going to need to draft well in the next couple years to keep in a healthy cap situation.
  2. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Dez does not deserves Calvin or Fitz money. He can go find another team for that kind of money.
  3. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,759 Messages
    1,859 Likes Received
    Dez will get over 64 mil i know that much.
  4. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

894 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    Dez should get paid...he has 40 TDs in 4 seasons. He deserves whatever he gets. Cut ties with Miles and a few others and there ya go.
    CowboyFan74 and Aven8 like this.
  5. TonyRomo17

TonyRomo17 Well-Known Member

783 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    fitz is done
  6. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,096 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    Dez will be a Dallas Cowboy for a long time.
    CowboyStar88 likes this.
  7. JDSTAR

JDSTAR Active Member

218 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    As much as he wants!
    lqmac1 likes this.
  8. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,173 Messages
    1,870 Likes Received
    No receiver on this offense scares anyone except for Dez. He is a huge part of what success they do have. You let him go, might as well close up shop with that bad defense we have. His presence alone lets the offense compete.

I would go for a 6 year deal for 70 million with around 32 mill guaranteed. I hope Jerry doesn't make him the highest paid WR at that time like he did with Romo. Dez already has some back concerns like Tony did, albeit not as bad so far.

Lock him up but do not handcuff this organization even more IMO.
  9. Bwareinrings94

Bwareinrings94 Active Member

544 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    He will get top 3 $$ at his position. Cost of doing business at that position and he is arguably in the top 5. Couple that with Jerry's method of pouring premium resource into that position and you get top 3 money.
    Muhast likes this.
  10. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,969 Messages
    946 Likes Received
    Let him play out the season and keep the franchise tag option in play if negotiations get out of hand.
  11. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,477 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    You pay Dez.....tell Romo take a pay cut so his best weapon and best player on this team can continue to make us dangerous.

Romo does not like it? You get rid of him. Dez can make any qb look good and free up things for that qb and wr's

we lose dez though, then what does Romo and the rest if this offense do? Magically become dangerous? Yeah Romo to Witten for 3 yards on the out route will get it done.

don't worry Austin will return to form and magically learn to fight for the ball. T-Will, can learn to catch with his hands.
    Ren, Wheeltax, mugsybows and 2 others like this.
  12. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    bites tongue and walks out.....
    Corso likes this.
  13. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,639 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    I am more concerned with back issues that seem to keep coming up for Dez. Dallas has been burned several times with that injury so I would use your own medical people then hire 3rd party medical group and do exhaustive evaluation on his back before locking in for what will be a big contract.
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    We all know Jerry is going to pay him a ridiculous amount. Jerry loves paying his own draft picks (shows how smart a GM he was to pick them) and Dez is a special pet project success story.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry makes him the highest paid WR in the league, if our cap allows it.
    Muhast likes this.
  15. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,422 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Brady seems to be doing well with WRs that are like Beasley and Harris.
  16. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,679 Messages
    1,276 Likes Received
    He will probably get between 9-11 mill a year. He doesn't want to go anywhere and his endorsement deals should start coming in and paying good money. I believe Dez is the kind if athlete that plays for the love of the game but also understands the business side of things. I think he gives us a hometown discount because if his love for this team and JJ. He is so emotionally invested in this team.
  17. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,683 Messages
    1,473 Likes Received
    whatever the hell he wants
    CowboyStar88, TheFinisher and Ky31 like this.
  18. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,599 Messages
    480 Likes Received
    Brady could do well with you and I playing receiver.
  19. 65fastback2plus2

65fastback2plus2 Well-Known Member

1,542 Messages
    893 Likes Received
    uh no
  20. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,422 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Maybe my grandmother, she had better hands and would go over the middle.
    sadams likes this.