1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How much do you pay Dez Bryant?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Galian Beast, Jan 15, 2014.

1. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,481 Messages
    833 Likes Received
    Unfortunately for us, you can't just tell Romo to take a pay cut if he doesn't want to. He has the ball in his court in that regard. Unless we simply cut him.

For me, Dez doesn't command Calvin money because we don't use him like Calvin. The way our offense is constructed you don't pay a guy 100+ million to be a receiver and get 3 or 4 targets some games and some games get 10.

Personally, I think he should get somewhere in between what Cruz and Desean got and what Calvin and Fitz got. Somewhere in the 60-70 mill range.
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,886 Messages
    2,138 Likes Received
    I have a really hard time paying a WR huge dollars.
    But Dez is pretty special. Not 16 mil/year special, but certainly in the top 5-10% for WRs.
  3. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,591 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    Dez literally plays offense and defense for us and he's invaluable.. He saves Romo's bacon quite often and makes our over paid stat machine look better..

Dump/Trade Romo, Millie hamstrings, Spencer, Witten, Hatcher and then build around him...

-Championship!!!
  4. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,723 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Ideally 6 years 54 Million... just like the Austin contract. Just give him more guaranteed money to help sweeten the deal.

I like Bryant. But he hasn't really separated himself from guys like Julio Jones, AJ Green, and now apparently Josh Gordon, and I'm not so sure he ever will because of his lack of top end speed-- freakish athleticism and possession receiver skill aside.

I just don't think you can afford to pay a guy too much more than that, especially considering how talent rich the WR position seems to be nowadays.

I'd love to keep him though, and would be okay with an 10-11 million dollar a year deal.
    Cowboys606 likes this.
  5. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

4,185 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Dez is about 1/2 the player that Megatron is... so we should start there.
    TheCowboy likes this.
  6. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Build around a receiver? That you Jer?
  7. Hardline

Hardline Benched

750 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Its not my money. I don't care what they pay him.
    Muhast likes this.
  8. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,021 Messages
    1,318 Likes Received
    It depends entirely on how he plays next season.
  9. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,021 Messages
    1,318 Likes Received
    It may not be your money, but if you care about the team, you should care about cap space to build a better team.
  10. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,892 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    I wouldn't overpay, but 13-14M a season is probably a given. Not sure if it's feasible, if we could fetch 2 1sts and a viable veteran WR a trade might be the best option.
  11. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Calvin and Fitz were product of top 3 picks in the old rookie pay scale. They had Romo type leverage of blowing up the cap for their cash strapped teams if they did not get what they wanted. Dez is only at wr tag levels which is about $10 million. Even if they were to franchise him twice he is looking at $22 over two years or 25 million over 3. Dez has not produced at their level and does not have their leverage.
    Ntegrase96 and bkight13 like this.
  12. theSHOW

theSHOW Well-Known Member

3,253 Messages
    1,057 Likes Received

Get rid of Dez.
    Cowboys606 likes this.
  13. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,451 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    He's the best player on the team and one of the few that offer hope for the future, pay the man.
    Muhast, venky and CowboyFan74 like this.
  14. Cowboys606

Cowboys606 Active Member

320 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    Dez is to much like Moss, Owens, C.Johnson. Just my thoughts you may not agree. Take his money sign another wide receiver that can produce or focus on the D.
  15. bounce

bounce Active Member

689 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    He's too much like three of the best WRs in NFL history....so you want to cut him and free up his money?
  16. sadams

sadams Well-Known Member

1,203 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    Trade him while he has value to help rebuild the roster. Plus he has questionable pass catching ability and route running. I have seen a lot better getting paid a lot less.
  17. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,656 Messages
    1,725 Likes Received
    We already have one 100 million dollar player, so lets go for the combo! Then the year after that we can sign one of our young TE's to a 3rd 100 million dollar contract and call them the "triplets", woohoo!

Seriously though, I'd offer 8-10 million/year(high guarantee maybe?) for him, and if he declines then I'd franchise him and trade him to the highest bidding offer. Then I'd turn around and use those draft picks to help rebuild an actual defense, and use a 3rd/4th to develop another WR.

You don't need to break the bank for elite WRs, there's an abundance amount of young talented WRs these days, so finding another serviceable WR won't (shouldn't) be an issue.

There's only one WR in this league worth over 10 million/year and his name is NOT Dez Bryant.

Also, here's the salaries of the top 50 WRs "contracts" - http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=WR
  18. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,541 Messages
    819 Likes Received
    If you're going to continue the dink and dunk stuff then it's a waste to pay the kid. However, if you're going to throw the ball down the sidelines to him, and let him show how good he can really be, then you pay him top five money. That said, if there's a way to add a screw-up clause to his contract, you need to do that also.
  19. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

646 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I'd be surprised if any player currently in the NFL could fetch a trade like that, maybe Calvin, and that's a maybe. A first and a viable veteran WR would make sense considering how we use Dez and still having a couple up and comers on the roster.
  20. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,933 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    He's not worth a high 1st - I'd take that trade in a second. You get freed of a huge cap hit over the next few seasons by drafting another 1st round WR like Watkins.

Dez is one of the best WRs but his health is a question going forward. I'm leery of another big contract, another big dice roll which has continuously turned out bad for the Cowboys. I'd prefer to let next season play out and go from there.