1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How much do you pay Dez Bryant?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Galian Beast, Jan 15, 2014.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,616 Messages
    4,168 Likes Received
    That's a good point. The franchise tag was 10.5M in 2013. The tag number seems like a good starting point for a top player at a position. It seems doubtful that he would average much more per year than the tag value.
  2. radioactivecowboy88

radioactivecowboy88 Active Member

400 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    I'd say 11-14 mil a yr and try and get him for like 5-7 yrs and of course a crap ton of incentives... and I would try and throw in some incentives for off the field stuff
  3. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

5,121 Messages
    1,055 Likes Received
    Build around a receiver?

Ok...
  4. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,322 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    I would definitely extend him this year. That way they can eat a year of the signing bonus this season. They can do it after June 1st when they cut Austin. I would give him 5 yrs/55-60m max with a 15m signing bonus and 25m guaranteed. The guarantee is basically 2014's salary, plus 2 years of being franchised.
  5. Texan_Eph89

Texan_Eph89 Well-Known Member

1,053 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    It's also Tom Brady...
    Tom Brady is Tom Brady.

It's like saying AP is doing well with an average OL..
    Cowboys606 likes this.
  6. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,664 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Romo is good but he isn't Tom Brady...plus, Brady has one of the best coaches in NFL history.
  7. venky

venky Active Member

439 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Did no one else see the off year Brady had? The overrating of Brady continues. Not sure where this "Brady can produce with anyone" talk is coming from. He had 9 TD's in the first 8 games and only started to produce better once Gronk and Amendola were fully healthy.

Not saying he's a bad QB, I just never liked the argument that Brady could do well with any receivers while people (not anyone here) bash Manning for having top quality receivers.

/rant
  8. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,282 Messages
    821 Likes Received
    Leading Receivers on Divisional Round Teams:
    New England Patriots - Julian Edelman - 105 catches, 1,056 yards, 6 TDs (0.8M)
    Indianapolis Colts - T.Y. Hilton - 82 catches, 1,083 yards, 5 TDs (0.6M)
    San Diego Chargers - Keenan Allen - 71 catches, 1,046 yards, 8 TDs (0.6M)
    Denver Broncos - Demaryius Thomas - 92 catches, 1,430 yards 14 TDs (2.6M)
    Seattle Seahawks - Golden Tate - 64 catches, 989 yards, 5 TDs (0.9M)
    New Orleans Saints - Jimmy Graham - 86 catches, 1,215 yards, 16 TDs (1.5M)
    San Francisco 49ers - Anquan Boldin - 85 catches, 1,179 yards, 7 TDs (6.0M)
    Carolina Panthers - Greg Olsen - 73 catches, 816 yards, 6 TDs (3.3M)

The list ranges from above average to great players. But there is nobody on there making giant money, because smart teams invest their money in QBs, defensive and offensive lines, and depth. The Cowboys invest their money in weapons and cornerbacks. The smartest thing this team could do is deal Dez this offseason for multiple high draft picks, but I'm sure that one is unlikely to happen.
  9. Cowboys606

Cowboys606 Active Member

285 Messages
    25 Likes Received

Totally agree
  10. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

652 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    88 will get north of 80 million for about 5 then...watch out come 2021
  11. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

652 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    4 or 5 of those 8 player are on rokkie deals no fair at all
    mugsybows likes this.
  12. Jerryrage

Jerryrage Active Member

389 Messages
    177 Likes Received
    7 year 100 million, calling it now.
  13. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,452 Messages
    773 Likes Received
    Or Bobby Brady for that matter
  14. phildadon86

phildadon86 Active Member

375 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    This is all predicated on the fact Dez will even want to re-sign here. Dez isnt like Romo, Ware, Witten, and the other yes men on this team. He doesnt enjoy being mediocre. I hope he signs i really do, but if i were him i wouldnt even re sign here
    StarBoyz83 and mugsybows like this.
  15. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,282 Messages
    821 Likes Received
    I mentioned there were great players on there. But it's no coincidence that the teams that invest big money in their salary cap on skill positions are sitting at home from December on.
  16. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

3,902 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    I expect the Cowboys to overpay and for Dez to fade away, after all it is the Cowboy way.
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,822 Messages
    2,673 Likes Received
    Eh, I don't know. Do you think the Broncos are going to let Thomas walk, or the Saints Jimmy Graham? I bet they pay them, as they should.

Is the contract of Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson really what's holding those teams back? I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong, I used to argue for not paying WRs a ton also, but the way the league has become more and more wide open with the rules and the interpretations making it harder than ever to cover, I think a great talent at WR is more valuable than ever because he can win one-on-one battles more than ever before.

And for all the talk about spending only on the lines, there are teams out there that do that and then don't have any playmakers out wide to make big plays, which is almost a necessity in today's game. The Panthers and Patriots could really use a Dez. The Niners really benefited when Crabtree came back from injury.

That doesn't mean I advocate overpaying Dez like Jerry will probably do, just that I don't think we would be better off letting him go. (As long as he continues to develop, that is.)
    mugsybows likes this.
  18. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,662 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    Yep ... wait until Dez, Romo, and Ware's contracts eat up 50% of our salary cap.
  19. Szczepanik

Szczepanik Well-Known Member

847 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    Sign me up as TE. We all know I'd get playing time when Gronk hits his annual injury.
  20. Texan_Eph89

Texan_Eph89 Well-Known Member

1,053 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    If TY Hilton continues to play as well as he has played, he'll get paid.
    Allen is a highly rated rookie, if he was on a contract year, he'd be getting paid.
    Demaryius Thomas is going to get similar money to Dez, he's getting paid.
    Golden Tate is an underrated receiver and return man, he's getting paid.
    Jimmy Graham is going to get tons of money, no doubt about that.
    Anquan Boldin is old, but he still plays well. For years we was a #1, and he still plays like it. He'll get another 2 year contract somewhere.
    Greg Olsen is a really good young TE, maybe not a top tier TE, but pretty close.

So out of your list, Edelman is the outlier.
    The reason why many of those players aren't making giant money is because they haven't signed their extensions..
    Hoofbite likes this.