1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How much money would you need to be happy?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Apr 21, 2013.

1. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,754 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    There's no correlation dude. Happiness is happiness whether you're homeless or a billionaire. Just make the best of what you have
  2. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,852 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    What can I say, you're right. A phrase seldom seen on this forum.
  3. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,852 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Absolutely!
  4. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,634 Messages
    1,077 Likes Received
    :bow:

Go find my Richard Cory song in the Music Videos. Listen to it....

Here is what it is about.

Whenever Richard Cory went downtown we people on the pavement looked at him, He was a gentleman from soul to crown, clear favored and imperially slim. And he was always quietly arrayed and he was always human when he talked. But still he made pluses flutter when he said, "Good morning", and he glittered when he walked. And he was rich, oh yes, richer than a king. Admirably schooled in every grace. In fine, we thought he was everything to make us wish that we were in his place. So on we worked, waited for the light, went without meat and kissed the bread. And Richard Cory, one calm summer night went home and put a bullet through his head.
  5. 5Stars

25,634 Messages
    1,077 Likes Received
    :lmao2: :laugh2: :lmao2:
  6. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    They're saying money can't buy happiness and all that, but being out of debt would sure bring a smile to my face. Keeping the monthly mortgage payment in my own account would be grand. So seeing as how I'm now at 90,000.00 left on my mortgage, I'd say 90,000.00 would make me happy.
  7. 5Stars

25,634 Messages
    1,077 Likes Received
    But, if it's a nice house, never pay it off. Houses appreciate in value, and unless you are rich, just stay in the mortgage and as rates go down?

Refinance...while the rates are low and maybe you can save some money.
  8. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I'll probably be better off moving, to cut down on commuting costs. At the housing height, it had doubled in value and if I had sold in '06-'07 I would have been really happy. Right now, I'll still be making a pretty good profit when I sell, but I am kicking myself for sitting still when the market was at it's best.
  9. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,578 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    Even if your house is paid off you still have the taxes. Depending on the value that would be $200-$800+ per month. Add in another $300-$500 for typical monthly bills of running a house. So you are never really living for free in a house.
  10. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    True, but 450.00 a month is better than 1300.00 a month.
  11. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Money doesn't equal happiness but it sure as heck removes a lot of the barriers between a person and happiness and don't let anyone tell you any different.
  12. Trendnet

Trendnet Member

719 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Whoever said money can't buy happiness, never had money to begin with.
  13. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

1,113 Messages
    79 Likes Received
  14. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    That's not exactly true. I spent a lot of money because I anticipate I'll be getting a lot of money in the future. So I think the moral of the story is, money comes and goes. Your happiness shouldn't be dependent on something that can be taken away.
  15. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,642 Messages
    397 Likes Received
    Yup.

Hard work and smart decisions pay off.
  16. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,578 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    Make enough poor money decisions in your life and you will be miserable. Regardless of how much you earn or have in savings.
  17. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Smart decisions are the key.

We, as a country, do such a poor job of educating our citizens about making sound financial decisions.

If kids just out of college realized that the big house and new car are terrible choices for them, we'd be so much better off. That $30,000 car could equal a heckuva a lot earlier retirement if invested between ages 22-26. When someone is pre-approved for x amount when searching for their first home, the smart move is to look in the x/2 range and don't be afraid to put in some elbow grease . I know so many people that are mortgage poor it's not funny.
  18. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,642 Messages
    397 Likes Received

They are to busy suing people as a means to get money or hoping they win the lottery.
  19. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,068 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    Saving for retirement is a good idea but you have to live in the moment.
  20. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,950 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Money doesn't = happiness, except that I can never go to a Cowboys game because of it. Hope Jerry Jones is happy. Not to say I have never been to NFL games, but they were Raiders games in L.A. and Oakland from tickets given by former jobs. I'll make it to see my Cowboys someday soon. Been to many hockey and baseball games. Hockey is expensive too, but not nearly so much. Go Sharks!