1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How much would it cost to move up?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cruz_aedo861, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,236 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Stay put and take decastro. If he's gone, trade down.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,286 Messages
    1,757 Likes Received
    I don't think we need to trade down. At 14 there will be a top player out there that will fill a need.
  3. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,399 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    depends what we do in FA if we get a guard or 2 and a OLB I could see packaging picks to get claiborne...this team needs differance makers on the defensive side and those type require top 10 picks a lot of the time...so I wouldn't rule it out all together.
  4. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,605 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Yeah its interesting how some make the decision without knowing who we get or are going after in free agency. If we picked up 2 OL in free agency, why would we pick DeCastro in the first place?

Besides we have alot of needs, not just OL. At this point, all depends on free agency and who we get there to decide where our needs are. Plus these picks have to actually workout, some will rise, some will fall.
  5. Doomsday101

75,286 Messages
    1,757 Likes Received
    True FA signing prior to the draft will have an effect on who we may pick in the draft. While I like DeCastro at 14 I see other players who may be at 14 that I like as well.
  6. Deep_Freeze

6,605 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Yeah, I just don't see how anyone can be definite on who they want in the draft at this point. They haven't worked out, we haven't been through free agency, and anyone (including DeCastro) could rise or fall as prospects.

We have so many needs, there will probably be someone there at 14 that could help us. I could see moving to 10 for a CB or something, but they still could rise or fall also cause of how they workout will have a huge effect on them. If Dre runs a 4.5, he might fall to us, if he runs a 4.4, he could really rise.

We just don't know at this point.
  7. Doomsday101

75,286 Messages
    1,757 Likes Received
    I have guys in this draft I like at 14 but it is not 1 or 2 I see some other top players who should be in the 14 pick range that would be excellent pickups. Clearly FA plays a role. I never go into any draft thinking of only 1 or 2 players as the only option out there.

As for the workouts that is fine and all but my interest tend to be what they did as players on the field not at a workout session. A guys 40 time does not mean jack to me if he can't make the plays.
  8. Deep_Freeze

6,605 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Well what a skill position player runs does have an affect on his status usually, especially if he really disappoints or goes past expectations. Kinda just the way it is, players like Ware and Tyron improved their status cause of workouts.

Of course there are always exceptions, its not an exact science, but it does affect their draft status one way or the other.
  9. Doomsday101

75,286 Messages
    1,757 Likes Received
    It can but that does not make it right. Emmitt Smith did not grade out good but he became the NFL all time leading rusher. Rice was 4.5 guy and yet became one of the all time best. Combines right or wrong can have an effect on a guy slipping or rising but sometimes I think even scouts over think themselfs, in the end are you a football player or not.
  10. Deep_Freeze

6,605 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Well there are always exceptions like I said, and it is a balance of both on field and athletic measureables that are taken into account. In a perfect world, you would want both to be great, but that's not always the case especially the lower you pick in the draft. There are just so many variables, its hard to predict. Mark Ingram had all the production in the world, but at least so far he has looked average in the NFL.

There are also guys with alot of on the field production who don't do well in the NFL cause they don't have the athleticism to compete on the NFL level. Of course that depends on the team they played on, competition and such, but nothing is exact.