1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How very strange...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by silverbear, Feb 28, 2009.

1. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In this forum filled with political commentators, most of the right wing variety, nobody has mentioned how the purported savior of the Republican Party, one Bobby Jindal from Louisiana, told an blatant LIE in the course of his response to Obama's speech to Congress last week...

I refer to the claim that he was in sheriff Buddy Lee's office and heard a telephone conversation where some bureaucrat told the sheriff that they couldn't employ a flotilla of volunteer boats because of insurance and liability issues...

And now, we learn-- from Jindal's own people-- that that story wasn't QUITE true... hell, let's call it what it was-- a bold-faced, self-aggrandizing lie... he learned about that phone conversation after the fact, some days after the fact, and at the point in time where he supposedly heard it, he hadn't yet set foot in New Orleans (he had just come back from a trip, and immediately went to where his family was evacuated, in Baton Rouge)...

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/bobby_jindal/

It strikes me as odd, the way assorted right wing critics in here will jump all over EVERY Obama pronouncement, and analyze it to death, yet here we have one of their own, telling a flat-out LIE, and none of them seems to be bothered by that at all, at all...

It seems that some in here much prefer lies from the right to the truth from the left...
  2. irvin88

irvin88 Active Member

1,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nobody outside of Olberman and his dwindling ratings will care about Jindal's speech when the jobs report come out in a few days.

Non-story.:rolleyes:
  3. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually, that speech is the kind of thing that can dog a politician for years...

It's not an IMPORTANT story, to be sure... but people tend to vote for politicians that they trust, that instill a sense of confidence in the voters, and if that's a sample of how Bobby will come across in national speeches, we might have just heard the death knell for his presidential ambitions...

Note that I said "might"; among the politicians who have emerged from the ashes of poor performances in their first foray into the national spotlight was one William Jefferson Clinton, who before he ran for president gave a perfectly awful speech at the Democratic National Convention...

But if Bobby wants to regain his luster, he needs to stop telling whoppers like the Harry Lee story...
  4. irvin88

irvin88 Active Member

1,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It didn't dog Clinton when he gave a 400 minute speech in 1988.
  5. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    What's strange about it? It would only be strange if the majority leaned the other way. Or is there some alternate reality out there where the Left outs and criticizes the Left and the Right outs and criticizes the Right? Forgive my doubts that the alternate reality above exists. Nothing strange at all.

I would welcome the kind of strange where the Political parties and their followers had that kind of honesty. What this country needs is for both sides to hold their party's feet to the fire and demand something beyond the empty promises both spew. It wouldn't be strange. It would be wonderful.

I don't care about the opinions of which Political party is worse. Frankly they both suck. The sooner the country can realize that and demand reform inside their own party the better. It will never happen as long as either side stands there pointing fingers at the other and claiming they wear halos.
  6. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually, that was sarcasm... my point is that there exists in this forum a certain percentage of right wing propagandists who start thread after thread after thread putting down Democrats, and Obama in particular... but those same propagandists studiously ignore anything that puts their heroes in a bad light... but for me, Jindal's little self-aggrandizing lie would have never even been mentioned in here...

Go read the Huffington Post for a few days, and get back to me on that one... you'll quickly see the Left criticizing Obama all over the place... what's amusing about that is the criticisms are generally that he's too MODERATE to suit them...
  7. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I know it was sarcasm. So was my response.

Quite frankly the only thing impressive about either Political Party is that they can still brainwash people into thinking they are right and full of good honest people, and the other party is wrong and full of evil people. That is impressive. Sad as hell, but impressive.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Your post probably flew right over silvers head.
  9. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There are exceptions to every rule, irvin... but you go ahead and tell yourself that the right's flavor du jour didn't shoot himself in the foot with his performance this week...

Then, ask yourself if the American voter is REALLY ready to vote for a guy who freely admits to taking part in an exorcism... you can bet that if he ever does run for the Presidency, that aspect of his past will get big play in Democratic ads...
  10. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,724 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    and Obama has been caught in several lies... most recently twice in a two week period he stood in front of the American people and said "There are no earmarks in this stimulus bill", yet there are thousands...
  11. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,720 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    I can't wait. I'm sure you'll find a way to blame Obama, having been in office for all of 40 days or so.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Jindal blew his chance. Now that might not be fatal to his hopes (Clinton came back from a similar disaster) but it will not be easy.
  13. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,526 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    The diff is, over time, the right does flush its political toilet ....from Bob Packwood, up thru Newt, onto Foley, Stevens...and more.....when caught in the cookie jar...........they get flushed.............

now compare the Left: G.Studds --actual gay sex w/ intern--turned into a hero, Cold Cash Jefferson, B.Frank of the gay bordello in basement. The swimmer Kennedy, the entire lot of Clintonista's, Turbo Tax Geitner, Foley's replacement in Florida, ....and yes Obama--if Jindahl has a Ayers or Rev.Wright in his circle he would not survive it,

the above list of democrats are the present power circle of this Admin----

but at least the democrats are consistent.........they recycle:rolleyes:
  14. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,567 Messages
    505 Likes Received
    You realize you just ruined Silverbear's day with your scathing truth about the Dem party. You can add Sandy Berger to the list. He was the one stuffing classified papers in his underwear and shredding as many as he could before leaving.
  15. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    What's strange is that people still think that the lies of politicians not in their favorite party are worse than those in their own.

Lefty this, righty that, with dopes in the middle playing the role of the monkey.
  16. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Yep. And it's 100% DELICIOUS. Progressives left and right standing around with their jaws on the floor, bitter tears in their eyes because they thought they were getting a total liberal but surprise! You got a moderate democrat instead! Another example of pander to the edges, govern from the middle.
  17. sbark

3,526 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    cannot agree.......the Left will jetison a Blago or Cold Cash Jefferson in time...but anyone with power----Clinton, Kennedy, Frank etc will not get sent to slaughter---in fact will be elevated in power and esteem...

they may get voted out ala Dachle in S.Dak.....but the media and DNC will not close the door on anyone with power....

vrs. GOP.........Newt & Packwood and ultimatly even Nixon were geniune power brokers......and the GOP turned them out into the night......

one could easily argue the 900 FBI files on clinton desk was a far worse transgression than Watergate......

Conrad & Dodd, part of the CountryWide 6---if they were GOP--the funeral Pyres would be in full flame.......
  18. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,567 Messages
    505 Likes Received
    Are you implying politicians in the middle are innocent and tell the truth. Are middle-road politicians better than the Left or Right? I, personally, trust the Right much more than either the Middle or Left.
  19. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    No. The monkey in the middle is the voter.
  20. sbark

3,526 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    ........I think this catch all phrase: all politicians are crooked or whatever...
    gets alot of mileage for Libs/Dems in deflecting direct attention at their worst of the lot that will never get jetisoned because of their power...and gives them an excuss for maintainence of status quo....

no doubt both side got a good share that will circumvent the direct truth....but the GOP tends to not to re-cycle as the DNC does .....heck, the DNC doenst even re-cycle their crooked polticians....they dont even wipe in the 1st place