1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How were the abuse photos leaked?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Eric_Boyer, May 5, 2004.

1. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,277 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    I have yet to see this addressed.

Where did this footage come from and how did it fall into international hands a full month before our own media picked up on the story?
  2. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,277 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Seriously, does anybody know this?
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt °¤~Cold Eternal~¤° Staff Member

58,786 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    I wish I did...that is why I touched on it in the other thread.

I would not be surprised if it was a fellow soldier or a loved one back home that got the pictures, realized what they were doing was wrong...and turned them in.
  4. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hate to break this to the Iraqis but even in the great western democracy of America, sexual assault, physical abuse and other reprehensible actions are common place in the prison system. Prison sucks no matter what country you're in.

Regarding the original question and who leaked the pictures, this is in the latest CNN story:

.....and looked at "numerous photos and videos portraying in graphic detail actual detainee abuse" that were taken by personnel at Abu Ghraib prison on the outskirts of Baghdad.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

58,786 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received

I take it by personnel they are talking about the soldiers...and there seems to be no question that they soldiers took the pictures as they were posing in them.

The question is how did they get from the soldiers to the press.

Were these soldiers showing them to other soldiers that turned them in?

Did these soldiers put them on an internet site and someone turned them in?

Did these soldiers send some of this pictures home and they turned them in?

Did someone come to do a routine status check on the troops at the prison and find them and turn them in?

Did some other soldier tell another unit or someone that something bad was going on at the prison and then officials came to check it out and found the pictures?

Did these soldiers do some of this stuff outside that was seen by Iraqis outside the prison and one of those civilians reported it to somebody?

The Female General in Charge of those soldiers was saying something to the effect that she did not know it was going on and that the MI (military intel) people were pleased with how her soldiers were doing....It almost sounded like she was trying to say that the MI were telling them to do that...she did not say that but it seems like she was trying to point in that direction.
  6. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I assume personnel means soldiers as well. I hate how the media though is clouding this issue with interrogation. If some soldiers are sick f*cks and getting their kicks in prison, yes, that is a terrible thing and should be stopped but don't confuse that with necessary interrogation on Iraqis or other men we think may have insider knowledge. These yahoos have no problem riding a jet into a building, I think it's obvious that the U.S. is having to use some "extreme measures" in interrogation to stop terrorism and I support them 100%.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

58,786 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    I guess you have to know when things cross the lines...what these soldiers did without a doubt crossed the line and it does not take an expert to know that.

It has been years since I had to read the geneva convention code...I know there were many parts of it I could agree with...and other parts of it where I really thought it hurt the US soldiers ability to survive when other countries were not following the same rules. Funny thing is I still have my Geneva Conventions Identity card.....all Military members get a regular Identity card and if you are in the medical field or religious field you get an extra card.
  8. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The story's been circulating in scuttlebutt since the start of the new year.

How it "got out" as far as the pictures go, I have no idea let alone a theory. The DoD has kept a pretty tight lid on it for a while.

From what I've heard, the whole thing goes much higher than the soldiers already named. MI supposedly openly used some mild torture techniques and members of the 372nd took this as a green light. Things simply escalated to what we've seen.