1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How/When did you become a Cowboys fan?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Aven8, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,371 Messages
    980 Likes Received
    Being that the news is slow today I thought I would ask this question.

I was born and raised in TX so I've followed this team since birth. I know a lot of the board is from all over the country and just wanted to know how you became a fan, etc?

Also, for the older then the Internet, satellite tv, generation when you were fans before these inventions how did you see the games, etc.? Radio?
  2. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,529 Messages
    2,582 Likes Received
    When: the last game of the 1975 preseason

Where: Texas Stadium, Irving

Why: Staubach to Pearson to beat the Steelers

I was a Dolphins fan when I walked into the stadium that night, but left a Cowboys fan.
  3. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,708 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received
    Yeah, I saw the games on the radio. :laugh2:

I've been a fan since the day the Cowboys became a team. I used to get The Dallas Cowboys Weekly (i think that's what it was called) mailed to me every week.

The first Cowboys Superbowl I got the Cowboys Weekly newspaper, framed it under glass after I carefully read every word of it. I have since lost it and have no clue to where it is to this day.

I have been to Texas Stadium 12 times to see the Cowboys live.
  4. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

866 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    My father was a cowboy fan. I just followed in his steps. Believe it or not I do remember the super bowl year and our win in '95.

And I become really interested and followed the team and roster moves when I was 14, so in 2000. I'm from Fresno, Ca.
  5. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,371 Messages
    980 Likes Received
    I'm older as well. I love listening to the game on the radio. A good analyst can describe the whole scene as if you were there.

Lived in TX my whole life and DFW now for the past 22 years and have only been to one game! The game? MNF when Parcells benched Bledsoe at halftime and its been Romo ever since. I can remember using the restroom at halftime and started a chant Romo, Romo, Romo and some guys started in with me. Then I walk to my seat and the crowd went nuts when # 9 came running onto the field!
  6. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    In the 80s.

I grew up on Danny White and Tom Landry. My father and older brother were Redskins fans and my dad especially hated the Cowboys.

I liked the Cowboys uniforms and my mom kind of encouraged it when she found that out, even though she couldn't care less about football. She bought me a Cowboys shirt or jacket (I can't remember which) and I was hooked.
  7. bouttime

bouttime Member

89 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I was born in Dallas. I remember watching...get this...Don Meredith, Bob Hayes, Staubauch, Dorsett, Newhouse, Hollywood Henderson, Randy White, Harvey Martin, The Triplets and so on. I live in Upstate New York now & people ask me why I'm a Cowboy fan??? Really???:draw:
  8. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I was six during the Chan Gailey era. Never had the chance to see the Dynasty squad.
  9. bouttime

bouttime Member

89 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Which one ??
  10. 5Stars

26,708 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received
    WTH!

Bro, I had to drive from Albuquerque to Dallas, 12 hours straight, both ways!

And you live there, and have just gone to one game? :cool:

You are so on my ignore list!

;)
  11. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,275 Messages
    1,528 Likes Received
    Being as I'm not from Texas, I was drawn to the team because I liked the uniforms as a little kid. I was in the 2nd grade, had to have a Troy Aikman poster in '92 and have stuck with the team ever since.
  12. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    The 90s squad. I became a fan in 98.
  13. 5Stars

26,708 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received
    You do know that a Redskin fan would not consider you a Cowboy fan because you are not from Texas, right?

:cool:

(idiots)
  14. bouttime

bouttime Member

89 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Young uns...Wish you could have seen Bob Hayes...and Randy White play. The game is played differently now because of players like them. Hayes is why zone defenses were invented.
  15. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,717 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    I grew up in NW IN, about an hour or so East of Chicago. My older brother and I used to play the electric football game with the buzzing men, and the two teams that came with it were Pittsburgh and Dallas. My brother was a big Steeler fan, so I was always Dallas. Eight years old, and I knew practically the entire roster. That year, they won SB XII, and that was it.
  16. bouttime

bouttime Member

89 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I was raised in Albuquerque...I would have KILLED to see a 'Boys game! 12 hrs is a heck of alot closer than 3-Days drive...
  17. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,275 Messages
    1,528 Likes Received
    Couldn't give a rip what a Redskin fan thinks. :laugh2:
  18. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I would have loved to see Roger Staubach play. And Troy in his prime. Now, bad teams can slip into the Super Bowl and it is pretty sad, IMO. I've seen hours of highlights from the games against the 49ers from the 90s, though. Do you see any hope for a championship under the nut Jones?
  19. HardHittin'Witten

HardHittin'Witten This ain't Madden

2,557 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    I'm 36 and been a fan as far back as I can remember (early 80s). My parents are Cowboys fans and taught me well.
  20. 5Stars

26,708 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received
    Where about?

I played for UNM Lobos Baseball as a 2 string catcher for one year. They let me loose the following year.:eek::

I live in Utah now, so next time if I ever get the chance, I would love to drive down their again to watch the Cowboys.

;)