1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How/When did you become a Cowboys fan?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Aven8, Jan 24, 2013.

1. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,832 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    I was born and raised in Dallas so it just happened. Natural selection.
  2. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,756 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :star:
  3. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,376 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    Born and raised in Texas.

Growing up, we only had one Television and my dad would hog it up on Sundays and watch The Dallas Cowboys. So either we watched football or go played outside. I decided to watch football one day and I remember Michael Irvin scoring a TD and doing a celebration. I was immediately hooked on him. The following week I watched the boys again just because I wanted to see Irvin again and my enthusiasm for him soon spread to the entire team. It was 1996 and I've been a fan ever since. I wish I would have been more football conscious during at least one superbowl. I Dont know when I will ever see one... EVER and my 30's are fast approaching. :(
  4. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

2,971 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    Dad is a fan and dressed me up a in Cowboys gear as a young one. Eventually I started paying attention more to games and I am now a fan.
  5. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

862 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    That's pretty cool. I've been to two games here in cali. One preseason game a couple years back when they played the chargers. And one regular season game, at candlestick when Romo went on a tear with his broken ribs and beat them niners! It was like 50/50 cowboy and niner fans. Great game, went with my father and grandfather. They had a guy who works with the niners organization who is a frat brother of theirs and also :starspin a fellow cowboy fan and hooked it up with some tickets. Same with chargers, I have an uncle who has season tickets and I will be at the cowboy game this year.
  6. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Well I've been around since the first game. Saw all the greats play and all the great games, but not in person. I've never been to a live game and I've lived in San Antonio most of my life. Now in Hot Springs Ark. Think about it each year but never follow through. Staubach is my favorite player with Bob Lilly a close second. Like in life things in football were much simpler then. For the most part the players remained pretty much the same from year to year. I don't get half as much enjoyment now as I did then. Back then you never heard from the owner, in fact, some fans didn't even know the owners name.
  7. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,380 Messages
    1,374 Likes Received
    I was at that game at the stick too but I would say more like a 60/40 split in favor of the boys :) It felt like that anyways
  8. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,756 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

:bow:
  9. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,083 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    how did you react when his first pass was an INT ;)

For me, became a fan really in 1977 although liked the name and team helmet earlier. I was 11 in 1977 when I first watched a lot of NFL. Stuck with them ever since.

I used to get a lot of their games on WCAX Burlington Vermont. When moved out west in 1980 was a little harder to see them as local CBS in Seattle thought local TV meant NFC West so I was stuck with Falcons, Saints etc. However, got enough Cowboys to keep me a fan.
  10. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

862 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    Haha true true. It felt like a home game. Moreso then our current stadium lolz!
    Same thing with the chargers game to.
  11. dfan32

dfan32 Member

259 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    but I didn't see the early years. Not from Texas but I lived there in Dallas/Oak Cliff from 70 to 75. That's when I became a fan. Started watching when Craig Morton was the starter. Lost the Superbowl that same year to the Colts. That's of course when Staubach came into the scene and I've been a fan ever since.
  12. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,048 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    I've been a Cowboys fan for a while. I'll be honest though, if I knew I was going to be dead before the Cowboys got to the NFC Championship game, I probably would have done something else.
  13. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,384 Messages
    799 Likes Received
    I grew up in NC during the 1970's. I didn't really follow football until 1975 when I was 10. Before then I'd watch a game ever so often but that would be that. Back in those days the teams that were on tv all the time were The Cowboys, Steelers, Dolphins and Raiders. In NC back then it was Deadskin country. Their games were on every single week. I just liked the Cowboys. I was a big western fan and I liked the players...mainly Roger Staubach. what a leader he was. I liked Tom Landry too. I just started following them. The first SB I ever watched was SB X. I've been a fan ever since. We used to get the Cowboys on tv quite alot so I got to see most of their games. It was great being a fan back then. Every year we were in the playoffs and it was only disappointing when we didn't make the SB. But we could always say, "Wait until next year," because you knew we would be back.
  14. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,125 Messages
    749 Likes Received
    Didn't bother me. That dang Strahan!!!! I knew we were in for a ride and Parcells old cronies were a thing of the past. Hope was reborn in Cowboy land that day!
  15. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,480 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    First Cowboys game I can remember watching as a young lad was the Hail Mary playoff win over the Vikings.

Have been hooked ever since !
  16. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,864 Messages
    577 Likes Received
    Grew up in Ft. Worth and a fan since I could remember watching football 1976 or so.
  17. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    Staubach, Tony D., The Manster, Harvey Martin and Doomsday....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh: those were the days. Beat Denver that year in the SUperdome in N.orleans and I was HOOKED.:star:
  18. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,311 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    It was 1968, and my Dad told his 12-year old daughter (me) that she would have to learn about football if she wanted to be able to talk to boys. :rolleyes: (I think my Dad just wanted somebody to watch games with him). :p: I started watching or listening to Saints games with him for a few weeks, but it got boring because they were losing all the time. Mid-season, the Dallas Cowboys came to town. My Dad told me about the Ice Bowl game that ended the previous season for the Cowboys...I think I kinda felt a little bad for them and decided right then and there that they would be my team. I dumped the Saints and never looked back. :starspin
  19. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,170 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    born in Texas, everyone in my family is a Cowboys fan, therefore I am a Cowboys fan have been since I was a 1yr old toddler with a Bob Hayes jersey, over 40yrs of being and Cowboys fan, the only NFL team I have ever followed and will always follow, I am not one of those people that has a team in the NFC and the afc or just more than one team.
  20. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

700 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    I came into the world about the same time the Cowboys did, so I've been a fan since I was old enough to know what a football game is.