1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

How will McCain campaign against Obama?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Danny White, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,350 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Obviously, running a campaign against Obama is trickier than running against Hillary. Hillary has a well-worn liberal track record, and high negatives that are not going to disappear anytime soon. Obama is much more likable, is a much smoother communicator, and doesn't have the long track record that Hillary has.

At the same time, Obama has been running to the left of Hillary and has embraced a platform that, when you look at it closely, is far more liberal than Hillary's.

Based on his campaign promises alone, Obama may very well be the most liberal Democratic nominee in recent memory.

How can/will McCain use this to his advantage?

Here are a couple of articles I came across today from the Republican blog "Redstate" that start to lay out a campaign strategy for McCain:
  2. Danny White

12,350 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    http://redstate.com/stories/electio...in_vs_obama_pork_and_earmarks_will_not_cut_it

3. Danny White

12,350 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    http://www.redstate.com/stories/elections/2008/mccains_challenge_to_obama

4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

82,577 Messages
    6,132 Likes Received
    All I can say to my fellow conservative if you don't think McCain is conservative enough how conservative do you think Obama is?
  5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

5,095 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    If Obama wins the democratic nomination, nothing short of a miracle will bring McCain the presidency as he is too closely associated with the current administration which the election will be a referendum on, and I don't think the religious right is going to be praying very fervently on his behalf.

His only hope is a Clinton comeback.

McCain's moment may very well have passed, his presidential aspirations swiftboated forever by Carl Rove in 2000.
  6. Doomsday101

82,577 Messages
    6,132 Likes Received
    Or conservatives will get out and vote in the general election to prevent Ted Kennedy Jr from winning the presidency. Obama is liberal enough for republicans to get out vote
  7. Sasquatch

5,095 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    I don't get that sense. Moderate republicans seem quite willing to give him a chance to prove that his rhetoric has substance. And the extremists who are not keen on McCain don't appear to loathe Obama enough to go all out to defeat him. Of course, we can't tell for certain at this point, but those are my current impressions.
  8. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,748 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    It's the Republican's worst nightmare.

They don't like McCain...no Hillary to energize their base against her...and a guy who HAS energized people in Obama.

And the best is the Religious nuts don't have anyone to carry their cross.

Good times for all. :D
  9. Doomsday101

82,577 Messages
    6,132 Likes Received
    I agree. I just feel things start to change once we get into the General Elections. I think McCain will get the support from top conservatives to help rally the Republicans. Right now Obama has been able to avoid the specifics of his call for hope and change I think we are about to see Hillary call him down for those specifics as she is fighting for her political life and I think that will play well for the republicans it is hard to fight change and hope until you know what a person is actually putting on the table.
  10. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That is the most likely scenario if Obama wins the Democratic nomination.

McCain is the opposite of a firey orator - he trips over his own words, reads directly from notes (not glances, reads), and pronounces Washington "Warshington".

Yeah, with an 'r'.

Things could get nuke-ya-lur in War-shington.
  11. ConcordCowboy

12,748 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    If that meant anything Bush would never have gotten within a thousand miles of the White House. :D

Ever hear Bush pronounce Nuclear? :p:
  12. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sorry for the confusion - that's who I was referencing with the nuke-ya-lur part.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

43,028 Messages
    2,554 Likes Received
    McCain has a secret weapon- he can pull out all the nice things the newspapers, Democrats and all the rest said about him when he was opposing bush, and being a rebel in the Republican party. then when they start to attack him he can whip out those quotes and ask them what has changed.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

43,028 Messages
    2,554 Likes Received
    One thing the Real Campaign will highlight is how liberal Obama is; he will not be able to hide from that then. THAT will energize the conservatives and McCain also needs to remind them what happened the last time they sat out an election - 1992.
  15. Sasquatch

5,095 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    It may energize the republican base but Obama's advantage is that unlike Clinton he won't shy away from the term since he is not a product of the culture wars of that came out of the Vietnam Era. That will not only energize his own base but attract progressives and independents who might otherwise not support Clinton. And, frankly, I think many moderate conservatives would be more than willing to support a liberal who offered the possibility of transcending the debilitating politics of rapid partisanship.
  16. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,297 Messages
    1,042 Likes Received

I do enjoy seeing the religious right getting their panties in a wad over McCain and how he won't carry on "Christian" ideals and doctrine...and how such horrors of gay marriage, stem cell research, the continuing abortion practices will continue. And how they'll bemoan the administration of not adhering to Christian practices and such..... And I will be glad Church and State were separated once again.

But then I look at what the Democrats are offering in Obama and Hillary.... and I get disappointed. Because its not change. Its the same ol' same ol'.

Giant ******.

Turd Sandwich.

Either the general population wakes up or its Kerry vs Bush re-runs for the rest of my life.

Oh. Joy.
  17. ConcordCowboy

12,748 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Sorry I thought that sounded awful familiar. :D
  18. NewJCowboy

NewJCowboy Active Member

1,225 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  19. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It'd be tough for McCain to beat Obama.

McCain's best strategy would be to replicate George W's (Rove's) winning strategy. That means doing the following types of things:

1. Smear Obama with whatever you can think of and hope something sticks. (If Kerry, a war hero with a Purple Heart, can be swift-boated as somehow cowardly and opportunistic, perhaps Obama can be branded a racist ....)

2. Use the word "liberal" often, and in a disgusted tone such that it sounds like a curse word.

3. Scare the public into believing that a vote for the Democrat renders the country and its citizens helpless to terrorist attacks.

4. Use the phrase "tax and spend" often, in a disgusted tone such that it sounds like a curse word, while trying to maintain a straight face (in light of the record deficits posted by recent Republican administrations).

It's going to be tough, though.

Obama is striking a cord and exciting people. There is a rock star component to his popularity. He's showing the charisma - the ability to gather the popular support - that could allow him to be a transformative figure.

So far Obama is showing the potential to become another "Teflon President," such that a majority of the population find him so likeable that criticisms rarely stick and, as a result, he is given rather wide latitude....
  20. Danny White

12,350 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I'm starting to move over to that exact line of thinking Dooms.

I really can't stand McCain, but Obama is positioning himself so far out there I think I'll have to hold my nose and vote for Johnny Mac.

I think a McCain presidency will do serious damage to the Republican party... but an Obama presidency will do serious damage to our country. And I have to put country ahead of party here.