1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: How will the Cowboys defend Calvin Johnson?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,534 Messages
    2,108 Likes Received
    Not even worried about it. Calvin will do nothing and I am 100% confident. Thank my fantasy football misfortunes for this one.

Example: I only needed a measly 9pts tonight from Adrian to win and he gets 5. Next week is for my season and I need to win but I won't and it will be because Calvin gets shut down and I will like it :)
    CowboyMcCoy likes this.
  2. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,941 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    The only worry is in the Red Zone as Johnson is a BIG guy... otherwise I think Carr has been stellar...
    CowboyMcCoy likes this.
  3. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,799 Messages
    245 Likes Received
    Honestly, I would have Church or Wilcox deliver serious rib shot or two at beginning of the game. That's should make him think before leaping for jump balls.

It'll be Carr and one of the safeties.
  4. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,237 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    Game plan him like you would any great receiver. You will win some and lose some. Let him get his 150 and 1 TD and shut out the rest. Do not make him the focal point and try and out think it roll coverage to his side and play with in the system.
  5. Ratmatt

Ratmatt Active Member

931 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    I don't think you can put Carr on him without any help.I don't care how well Brandon Carr has been playing,I don't think anyone can cover him simply one on one.
    jobberone likes this.
  6. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,054 Messages
    1,198 Likes Received
    Last time Carr faced him he shut him down.
  7. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,391 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    That's funny right there, you'd almost think that the Lions are punting and that Megatron is a gunner but it's on the goal line.
  8. TonyRomo17

TonyRomo17 Well-Known Member

968 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    is ogletree starting for the lions?
  9. jason54858

jason54858 Gloomy Sunday

2,219 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    This made my night tbh :D
  10. DC Cowboy

DC Cowboy Active Member

678 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    this is the only answer to me, put Carr on him and try to take away everyone else.
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I'm a little more concerned about Reggie Bush. Calvin is going to get his. He always does. He had one of those jump ball TD catches between 2 defenders (3rd one was around him and 4th came over at the very end after the catch) this week that makes you wonder why they just don't do that all the time. It was like 50 yards and just absurd. Send him deep every route and if there's less than 3 guys in position throw it up. If not, kill teams with short and intermediate.

Calvin is probably going to do damage. If you can take away the other weapons, even a big game from Calvin can get the job done.

Reggie Bush coming out of the backfield will be a test. They handled McCoy well but repeating dominating performances like that against good backs is difficult.
    jobberone likes this.
  12. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,085 Messages
    1,133 Likes Received
    You know how the NFL is. Just like Desean and McCoy yesterday, you gameplan and expect for Calvin to beat you and he puts up decent but nothing spectacular. I'm with Hoof.....I think Reggie Bush might be the bigger factor.
  13. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,681 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    If we basically shut down Reggie Bush like we shut down McCoy, we'll be okay. Stafford is a much better threat to beat you than Foles, but Detroit's offense is probably a lot better than it has been the last couple years because they actually have a threat at running back. And Bush is coming into his own as a back after a bit of a disappointing start to his career.
    DuceizBak likes this.
  14. DuceizBak

DuceizBak Active Member

424 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    The eagles have /had more weapons than the Lions, but luckily the Lions have a better QB. Shut down Calvin and Stafford and the frustration starts to set in..they are not a running team and they pass a lot..I would expect a few interceptions.
  15. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,259 Messages
    702 Likes Received
    i was reading BTB and its interesting that we were in nickel most of the time with the safeties close to the line to stop McCoy,i dont think we can do the same for Reggie bush because the Lions have more weapons on offense than the Eagles.
  16. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,350 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    Pray that their front four can get to Romo.
  17. Section444

4,350 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    They actually have a lot of weapons this year. They've quietly built a hell of an offense that isn't 100% Megatron.
  18. Section444

4,350 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    For some reason, it won't let me edit my previous post, but here are the players we need to keep an eye on not named Stafford or Johnson:
    - Reggie Bush - This one is obvious. I'm honestly not concerned with him as a runner, I'm concerned with him as a pass catcher. He's broken off some very impressive runs this year, they key to stopping him is to tackle him the first time, and not allow him to break tackles.
    - Joique Bell - He may honestly be the best pure RB on the roster, guy runs with great power, and has good burst. Good thing is, he's also injured (ribs), and won't touch the ball much, unless Bush goes down.
    - Joseph Fauria - The last name should look familiar. This is a guy that wasn't on my radar going into the season, but the undrafted rookie from UCLA has been lighting it up in the red zone (has 6 TD's on the year). He's 6'7", and has some of the best body control in the air I've seen. He's already taken Scheffler's place as the #2 TE.
    - Kris Durham - This guy couldn't catch a cold last season, but with Burleson out, he's transformed into Stafford's #2 guy, and he's taken advantage of the opportunity. He's another monster on the outside at 6'6" with 4.4 speed.

Guys I don't expect to see play this week: Nate Burleson, Tony Scheffler,
  19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,471 Messages
    3,797 Likes Received
    I would say have Carr play him physical off the line with a safety over the top. main thing get to Stafford force him to get rid of the ball quickly.
  20. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,256 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    lol at that picture!! Awesome.