1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: How will the Cowboys defend Calvin Johnson?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,889 Messages
    1,389 Likes Received
    No one is in Revis' league. Or at least Revis, pre-injury. Sherman is knocking on the door of that, but no one goes and hangs out on an Island like Revis did (and probably would if he was completely healthy and TB used him correctly).

I love Carr. He's been good with us. But I'd put (in no particular order at the moment) Sherman, Flowers, Joseph, Talib, Haden, Leon Hall, Peterson for sure above him, which puts him up there around 9th at best, but there are still some other really good ones out there.

The only thing that matters, is that he's good enough to be our number 1 and will help us be successful.
  2. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,242 Messages
    1,447 Likes Received
    I would put Revis and Sherman above Carr but Carr is right there with Flowers, Joseph, Hayden, Peterson, etc. I watch every single one of those guys play too. Carr has always been drastically underrated. He is extremely talented and physical.. not to mention he plays with fire and hates to lose.
    dallasfan4lizife, Corso and Jenky like this.
  3. kramskoi

kramskoi Well-Known Member

1,863 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Without Burleson, that means Detroit has only 1 receiver over 64 DYAR [Calvin Johnson - 14th] ... Dallas has three [Byrant - 9th, Williams - 16th and Beasley - 1st < 21 passes]. Durham [62nd] and Ogletree are well off the pace [DYAR < 20]. Witten and Fauria are a wash. Bush is the x factor but not between the tackles... he excels in space, which is why he is on his third team in 4 years. Dallas needs to prove the paper on Sunday and they will have a chance.
  4. DuceizBak

DuceizBak Active Member

424 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Did that really happen? If so, highlights plz
  5. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Joe Haden is the only guy I'd put at Revis level and I think he's close. He held Calvin Johnson to 3 catches for 25 yards and zero TDs. That's Revis-esque.
  6. Blue Eyed Devil

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
  7. Ntegrase96

2,889 Messages
    1,389 Likes Received
    Calvin Johnson was pretty limited that game and just played a little over half Lions' offensive snaps.

Johnson didn't go strictly up against Haden either. He was passed around.

All in all, I think Haden is having an awesome year, and is a young guy with loads of potential, but prior to this year he's never been asked to do what Revis does (0 help on a good majority of downs against the other team's #1), on purpose at least.

I'm going to take a look at his year so far this Saturday before I get my day going, but I'd be willing to bet he's still not playing a Revis role.
  8. Blue Eyed Devil

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    I'm not going to claim I religiously study Browns football or anything but I did live in Ohio from 2009-2011 so I've seen a good deal of Joe Haden. Especially in the 2011 season (last time I watched a good deal of Brownies football) he was just manning up with guys and running with them. I'd say most of the time he was either in man coverage or was in a quarters-quarters-half zone where he was responsible for half the field. Dude really is incredible, he's everything we imagined Claiborne would be but isn't. That said Revis is the best CB to ever play the game in my opinion so if you're going to put no one up there with him then I understand that, all I'm saying is Haden is #2 in the league and if post-injury-Revis isn't the same guy then Haden is the #1 in my opinion.
  9. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,108 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    Hayden is probably the 3rd best CB in the league behind Revis and Sherman.
  10. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,620 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Stop it.....

I love Carr, but there is no one who can handle Calvin, nobody.....probably the only corners who can, are Haden or Sherman.
  11. Ntegrase96

2,889 Messages
    1,389 Likes Received
    Revis completely shut him down the only time the two have faced off.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,417 Messages
    3,744 Likes Received
    I'm more concerned how the defense as a whole plays, more than who and how the Cowboys cover Calvin. He has put up big numbers and yet the Lions still have lost the game. I suspect Carr will cover CJ and he will get help through out the game.
  13. Ntegrase96

2,889 Messages
    1,389 Likes Received
    Yeah I went back and broke down every one of his snaps on game rewind last year. He really is an excellent CB. Plays very well within the system, very great closing and breaking on the ball. But there were a handful of guys I would've placed over him coming into this year because of consistency issues. Although he didn't yield a ton of negative stats, he was out of position on a higher percentage than guys like Sherman, Flowers, Hall to name a few.

There's been a lot of buzz about him so far this year so I've planned on setting time aside to check out how he's doing so far this year to see if my mind has changed. Talib is another guy I'll take a look at.

I'd say Claiborne actually has more potential than does Haden, but Haden is more aggressive and a better overall corner by far. It's really amazing that he's only a year older than Mo', too.
  14. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,341 Messages
    780 Likes Received
    +1, A healthy Revis is the best corner in the league.
  15. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,341 Messages
    780 Likes Received
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,472 Messages
    2,366 Likes Received
    Fortunately, Calvin Johnson is nowhere near 100%. Thev'e had talks of even shutting him down for a game or two, but they got one glimpse of how destructive that is to their offense (when they played at GB) that they will find a way to get him out there.

Anyway...advantage Dallas.

But sorry guys and gals, Brandon Carr cannot shut down even a hobbled Megatron all by himself. Johnson is taller, way faster, a much higher jumper, and yes, even stronger.
    Carr is playing great right now and I'm sure he will match up with Calvin.
    But he still will need help...just not as much as normal.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,417 Messages
    3,744 Likes Received
    Solution!!! force poor throws by Stafford. :)
  18. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,341 Messages
    780 Likes Received
    Brandon Carr - DB - Cowboys
    Brandon Carr is expected to shadow Calvin Johnson Sunday.

The Cowboys won't risk letting Morris Claiborne get singled up on Calvin, so a shadow scheme makes sense. Carr has been excellent of late and currently grades out as ProFootballFocus' No. 13 overall corner out of 107 qualifiers. Of course, Megatron is a different beast and will be our top wideout play in Week 8.
    Related: Calvin Johnson

Source: Bryan Broaddus on Twitter
    Oct 24 - 10:50 AM
  19. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,620 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Yeah I mean, today

Because Revis is not 100, or so they say.
  20. Ntegrase96

2,889 Messages
    1,389 Likes Received
    Gotcha. Yeah he's not 100% and the Bucs are dropping him in Zone a lot.
    Frozen700 likes this.