1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

how would thid effect the Cowboys

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SDogo, Apr 7, 2011.

1. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Peter King recently said he believes neither of the QB's will be taken in the first 5 picks. He is probably about the 4th person who I have heard say that in the last 3 days. I have to imagine this would open up some interesting possibilities for Dallas.

How do you think this would effect the Cowboys if at all.
  2. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,375 Messages
    2,788 Likes Received
    It means we draft Tyron Smith. Patrick Peterson will be long gone.
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I disagree with him. I think "a" QB will be taken in the top 5.

Obviously, it would have a negative impact on the Cowboys I think. Of course, a big reason I believe that is I think trading back is the wrong thing to do. If we trade back, the furthest back I would go would be Vikings at 12.

I think trading back to 13 with Detroit is probably not a good idea unless you are absolutely positive that they want Prince.
  4. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    Of course it effects us..in many different ways

#1 - it minimizes the likelihood of Peterson falling to trade up territory

#2 - it increases the likelihood that our target, whoever that may be (smith?) will be taken before us

#3 - it also increases the likelihood that one of these 2 qbs will be available @ 9 which could land us some strong leverage in a trade down..with wash @ 9 and min @ 12..teams may have to give up a fortune to get one of them..

Personally, I'd prefer if they both went top 5...but it could definitely be mode advantageous for us if they don't
  5. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,838 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    It means we make a major trade with the Dolphins so they can pick the slider.
  6. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,700 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    Unless he's gone, too. If that be the case, and one of the two QB's falls to #9, then I see us looking to trade down with a team like Miami or Minnesota who might really want one of them.

I find it interesting that King would say this. Seems all I'm hearing this week, is that Newton is "leading" to be the top pick.

*Nice avatar, btw. I graduated from UTC in 2005.*
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,007 Messages
    1,007 Likes Received
    I would love to be able to come away from this draft with extra picks, but not at the expense of missing out on players we really like and having to settle for those we don't.

The strategy we employed last year was great, go get the guy you want. We are in a position where we may not actually have to GO anywhere, we can just take who we want.
  8. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Other than possibly opening up a few more trade down scenarios, I dont think it effects us at all.

We're drafting Tyron Smith regardless unless someone else gets him before we do.
  9. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,332 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    It means we trade back, a team who wants a QB will jump for one.
  10. canters

canters Active Member

1,788 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I would be happy with Smith, but JJ has a history of trying to get cute when drafting, as we know. I can envision him trading down hoping to still snag Smith, but then having Smith taken a pick or two before our pick.
  11. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,558 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I think this would be great especially if Gabbert and Newton are on the board when we pick. We can trade with the Vikings and still get Smith. The Redskins can have the one that the Vikings don't pick.
  12. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,016 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Interesting. Everything I've read has Newton going to Carolina. I was thinking that the word must be getting out that they love him.
  13. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    This would have huge effects on Dallas.

If both qb's slide, then Smith is going to be one of the players taken instead.

That obviously isnt a good thing. But what it does open up is a trade down for extra picks.

If Smith is gone before 9, then we make a trade with a team wanting one of those qb's. We move down and pick up the next best lineman. Pouncy? Castonzo? Carimi?

Maybe this is where all the Pouncey to the Boys stuff is coming from
  14. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,332 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Not really, just have to go by the teams ahead needs.

Dareus
    Peterson
    Miller
    Fairley
    Bowers
    Prince
    Green
    Jones

thats 8 players right there that can be taken before Smith.
  15. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    You seems awful sold that the Cowboys are 100% certain they are drafting Smith and nothing is going to change that.

It really cant be further from the truth.

They like Smith, he's the popular choice right now, he is probably the most likely choice but it's FAR from a lock.

A lot of things can happen between now and the draft and we all know when the clock starts crazy things happen.

I just find it curious because it's the total opposite of the feeling it get which is all options are still open and personally, I'm more comfortable saying even at this point Dallas is not leaning one way or another.

If I had to hedge my bet now I would say Dallas is going to sit comfortably at 9 and let the draft come to them at which time I'm pretty certain from everything I hear there will be plenty of opportunities to trade out of the spot should they see fit.
  16. GloryDaysRBack

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    We must be hearing the same things..looks like we are trading down
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,007 Messages
    1,007 Likes Received
    That's not at all what he said. :laugh2:
  18. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    yeah I guess I could of just made it short and said I'm 99% certain Dallas is not locked onto anyone or onto any movement up or down right now.

This Tyron Smith stuff is just as solid as the Prince or JJ Watt speculation we were hearing so much about.
  19. GloryDaysRBack

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    We must not be hearing the same things
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,007 Messages
    1,007 Likes Received
    I'd question my sources if they told me a team was locked into trading down without even knowing who would be available at their pick. That is terrible strategy.