1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How would y'all feel if the draft turned out this way...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheSport78, Mar 6, 2013.

1. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,439 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    1st round: Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina

2nd round: Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

3rd round: Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin

4th round: JJ Wilcox, S, Georgia Southern
  2. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,959 Messages
    555 Likes Received
    Can't say that I'd be too unhappy, although I don't feel the need to address RB that early. Id rather go S in the 3rd, LB in the 4th, and then RB/WR in the 5th.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,112 Likes Received
    I would be a pretty happy camper.
  4. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,009 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    I like the first three picks, but Wilcox at S is questionable. He is a fantastic athlete that has played multiple positions, both offense and defense, but I don't think he is ready to start right now and is still a project at safety. I am a big fan of Montee Ball in round 3. However, with the current state of the safeties, I think the Cowboys would need to get someone more NFL-ready than what Wilcox can offer. For this reason, I would look for a safety in either round 2 or 3, going after a safety that can start immediately like Eric Reid, Phillip Thomas, or Jonathan Cyprien.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,556 Messages
    5,289 Likes Received
    I'd be thrilled.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,919 Messages
    1,304 Likes Received
    Agreed. Though I'd be happy with virtually any draft that gets us Cooper.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,579 Messages
    4,143 Likes Received
    Short has major work-ethic issues.
  8. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I'd take him as our first pick. You just don't get those kind of stats over three years with a bad work ethic. Maybe he's like many players and play better than they practice. Good or bad work ethic I will take his game stats any day.
  9. XxTDxX

XxTDxX Active Member

739 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    I think Short goes before we pick in round 2 and I think Wilcox goes before we pick in round 4. and there are much better pro prospects than Monte Ball for a 3rd rd RB
  10. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,439 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    I could see a scenario where the Cowboys don't even draft a safety. Instead, they sign a mid-level FA safety, and act like Matt Johnson is a redshirted draft pick.
    He does, and it definitely concerns me. I'd also love Tank Carradine in the 2nd, if he's there.

You could be right about Short and Wilcox, but I disagree about Ball. I think he's EXACTLY what Dallas needs in the running game. He's an NFL ready runner who rarely goes down after initial contact. He also has a real knack for the endzone when the offense in the redzone. He's a tough kid who's carried the rock like an every-down back.
  11. XxTDxX

XxTDxX Active Member

739 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    I am very weary of Big Ten backs.. It is the slowest of the major conferences in terms of average player speed. I think he is pretty good at everything and could be a very solid player but I think there are guys like that you can pick up in the 5th or 6th round.. If you are going to take a back in round 3 give me Andre Ellington out of Clemson or Christine Michael out of A&M
  12. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,732 Messages
    673 Likes Received
    Yeah, we keep hearing questions over his work ethic, so much so that it becomes an automatic red flag among fans. And yet, his numbers are very very good.

Sometimes, sure, these players have major work ethic problems. But it seems to me that alot of these players fall through the cracks because these 'problems' were rumors and nothing more. Repeated and repeated and repeated with no actual truth behind them
  13. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,231 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    Not bad so I wouldn't hate, live the 1st pick, like the 2nd. Not a big fan of Ball. Safety in the 4th might as well be a special teams player, Dallas better sign a safety in FA.
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,508 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    Don't like Short.
  15. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,852 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    I would hate it. Love the cooper pick, just okay with short. I don't like ball at all, especially in the third.