1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

how would you feel if we took Floyd at 14?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by GloryDaysRBack, Apr 22, 2012.

1. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,474 Messages
    841 Likes Received
    Rumblings going around saying that we absolutely LOVE Floyd
  2. fishspill

fishspill Well-Known Member

1,120 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    I would take it as a sign that one of our two primary wide receivers is not performing as the staff would like in some way. Given Floyd's history, they'd really need to be anxious about something to pull this.
  3. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    See my response in the other thread about how I feel about "rumblings" this close to the draft.

I don't see any way they take Floyd unless they gamble by trading back and then have all of the other guys they wanted getting taken before they go on the clock. You just can't sink that much money into the #3 receiver. If they were going to do that, Robinson would still have a star on his helmet.
  4. GloryDaysRBack

9,474 Messages
    841 Likes Received
    lets not really compare robinson w floyd..and floyd wouldnt receive robinson money for 5 years
  5. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would definately fell underwhelmed if Floyd was the pick at 14. However if all the top players on the cowboys radar are gone then I'm positive someone would be willing to move up to get him. Maybe Cincy? Pair him up with Green. Sets up nice with Dalton.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,384 Likes Received
    If we took another outside WR when we already have two that either are already getting big money or soon will be, I would be scratching my head.
    I'd love to have him on our team but spending our 14th pick on a WR would set us back some, imo.
  7. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    If not for the fact that he's a bone head and I'm sick of bone head receivers in Dallas I would be fine with it.
  8. GloryDaysRBack

9,474 Messages
    841 Likes Received
    not saying i like the move

but moving austin into the slot in 3 WR sets..and this offense is loaded..
  9. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    You're correct in that Floyd wouldn't cost as much this year. If taken at #14, his figure would likely be about $3 mil per year, give or take....or half of what Robinson would have been paid.

It's not just the dollar cost, though...it's lost opportunity cost as well. By taking Floyd and leaving other holes unfilled with a first round draft pick, you are costing yourself more, in my opinion, than the pure dollar figure it would have cost to keep Robinson...you're losing out on a potential starter at another position.

With two starters already on board and under contract at WR, and a lot of other positions that really need an infusion of high-round talent, just doesn't make a lot of sense.

See Matt Millen and the Detroit Lions.
  10. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,478 Messages
    2,895 Likes Received
    It would tell me that they think Miles Austin was a one hit wonder or Dez is a bust.

Teams dont draft #3 WRs at pick 14, Floyd would be replacing either Austin or Dez.
  11. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,045 Messages
    1,163 Likes Received
    I'm not too high on him. His production wasn't that great and his measurables aren't abnormally good. I'm not quite sure what makes him a top 15 pick.
  12. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,682 Messages
    314 Likes Received
  13. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,119 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Has had 3 alcohol related problems and doesn't seem like the Garrett type. Sounds like we are trying to drum up a market if he is there at 14. NYJ and Cleveland could have interest in moving up to get him.
  14. GloryDaysRBack

9,474 Messages
    841 Likes Received
    interesting that you feel that way..in my opinion hes undoubtedly the most talented WR in this class
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,587 Messages
    9,778 Likes Received
    I agree. I would hate the pick.
  16. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    My understanding from a couple of weeks back is that Cleveland really likes this guy, and may even have him rated higher than Blackmon.

If he's still on the board at #14 and Cox and Barron are both gone, I think Cleveland will trade either their second round pick (#37) to move up, assuming the Cowboys would give them a pick back (their fourth rounder) to help balance the deal, or trade their third rounder (#67) AND either their fourth this year (#100) OR their third rounder next year.
  17. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,478 Messages
    2,895 Likes Received
    Yea, the character flags pretty much should strike him off our draft board, dont see Garrett drafing a guy with alcohol problems.
  18. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,045 Messages
    1,163 Likes Received
    What is it about him? Usually with receivers the ones that are productive in college are productive in the NFL. You can find tons of receivers with his college production. I can see a second round pick. Maybe late first. But I don't get his current projections.
  19. GloryDaysRBack

9,474 Messages
    841 Likes Received
    he has the best size/speed/skills blend in this class..hes tremendous at high pointing the ball at snagging it..he also is a true deep threat..seems like a pretty polished WR to me..he was widely considered a top 15 pick before last season
  20. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,012 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    Hate it.