1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How would you like these 1st three rounds?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheSport78, Jan 31, 2012.

1. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,439 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    1st round: Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama

2nd round: Ben Jones, C/G, Georgia

3rd round: Leonard Johnson, CB, Iowa State
  2. garyv

garyv Active Member

1,410 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    It seems kind of high for Ben Jones doesn't it ?
  3. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,723 Messages
    918 Likes Received
    Give me a CB (Boykin) in the 2nd and Jones in the 3rd and I'd be happy.
  4. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,454 Messages
    138 Likes Received

Way to high. I think he'll be a mid to late third-early 4th rounder.
  5. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,009 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    Too early for Jones. I would rather have a CB in round 2 if we are not taking one in round 1, but if the Cowboys are looking to go Oline in round two and then CB in round 3, I would take Kelechi Osemele or Kevin Zeitler at G in round 2.

Would also rather have Brandon Boykin in round 3, but if he isn't there, then Johnson would be a great pick.
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,144 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    Disapointing if it happened. Need a Cordy Glen level O Linemen worst case.
  7. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,960 Messages
    555 Likes Received
    Would be pretty upset to be honest. I dont think Upshaw will be a dynamic pass rusher in the NFL. And I just dont see the hype with Johnson. There are literally 8-9 CB's in this draft that I'd rather have. Jones also got abused in the senior bowl. I know we need a C, but we cant draft 1 just for the sake of drafting 1.
  8. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,231 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    Yeah Ben Jones had a bad senior bowl he dropped a few rounds from what i hear.

Philip Blake had a good senior bowl and if Blake can put up a good combine with good 225 bench press he will be a 3rd round pick.
  9. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hate it.

There is no OLB worth taking at #14. Not Upshaw and not Ingram. Neither one of them is an improvement over Spencer.

There are a few good line players (DeCastro, Brockers, Coples, Poe) that would improve this team. Other than that, CB should be the pick.

Much rather go line in Round 1; look at LB in round 2.
  10. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,009 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    I don't agree that Ingram isn't an improvement over Spencer. I still don't think I would take him at 14, but he is better than Spencer IMHO.
  11. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Based on what? Spencer was a much better prospect than Ingram.

Spencer has better physical attributes.
    Spencer was more productive in college.
    Spencer has better mesasurables.

By what metric would you say Ingram is better?
  12. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,439 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    Apparantly Chad Pennington, Giovanni Carmazzi, Chris Redman, Tee Martin, Marc Bulger, and Spergon Wynn were better QB prospects than Tom Brady.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,437 Messages
    3,677 Likes Received
    Not feeling it.
  14. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,960 Messages
    555 Likes Received
    I think hes basing it off of the lack of production by Spencer thus far in the NFL. Personally, I dont think Spencer has been as bad as people here make him out to be. Hes stout against the run and does a decent job covering when asked. Hes a solid all around player, the sack #'s just havent added up as much as the fans want. If we can add a real NT to better utilize Rat's rush skills and improve our secondary I think our D will be just fine this year with Spencer or some other non 1st round pick OLB.
  15. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,009 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    I base it on seeing both players extensively in college. I've seen just about every snap of Ingram while at South Carolina. Spencer may have better college stats, physical attributes and measurables, but that doesn't make you the better football player. I believe Ingram's instincts and recognition will make him a better NFL player. You can also put him on the line in the nickle and dime formations, and he can line up as OLB and also drop back into coverage. You can't say the same for Spencer.

Regardless, I think Spencer will be back this year and I think he has been a solid player for us, so I see no need to replace him.
  16. Sandyf

Sandyf Member

579 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Based on what I saw at the Senior Bowl, I wouldn't take Upshaw or Ingram at #14. And as to Ben Jones, only 4th round or lower. He isn't an improvement over Costa or Kowalski.

Could live with Johnson in the 3rd but would rather take Boykin CB Georgia in the 3rd.

Right now, Brockers DE LSU would be a better pick at #14 or DeCastro OG Stanford or trade down and take Konz around #20. Take Curry OLB Marshall in the 2nd.