1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Hudson Houck on Cowboys OL he leaves behind: "they played as hard as they could play'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Alexander, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,203 Messages
    5,448 Likes Received
    http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/01/hudson-houck-on-cowboys-ol-he.html

Hudson Houck on Cowboys OL he leaves behind: "they played as hard as they could play''

[IMG]
    By

David Moore / Reporter <A href="http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/authors.html#David Moore / Reporter" rel=internal>

dmoore@dallasnews.com | Bio
    12:10 AM on Wed., Jan. 11, 2012 | Permalink

The Cowboys offensive line was in transition this past season.

First round pick Tyron Smith played well at right tackle, but like any rookie offensive linemen there were games his inexperience was exploited. Doug Free struggled at left tackle and didn't perform to the level he did in 2010.

The interior of the offensive line featured a solid veteran who couldn't practice most of the year due to a foot injury (Kyle Kosier), another veteran who performed well after being cut in training camp (Montrae Holland) and an undrafted, second-year player at center (Phil Costa) who spent most of his college career at guard.

It was not the most illustrious group Hudson Houck worked with in his long, productive NFL career. How does he assess their performance?

"I think this,'' said Houck, who at 69 announced his retirement Tuesday night. "I really, truly believe this, they played as hard as they could play. I thought their preparation was excellent.

"I could have probably coached better.''
  2. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,471 Messages
    1,630 Likes Received
    If that's as hard as they can play, we're in a lot of trouble.
  3. starsfreak31

starsfreak31 Member

105 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't question their effort, their talent is not very good though.
  4. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    Good guy. Wish we could have sent him out on a better note, but glad to be moving on.
  5. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,203 Messages
    5,448 Likes Received
    And they prepared as best they can. So basically Houck is saying he did not coach them well. If that is the truth, good to see him gone and I hope we seriously try to upgrade all three positions.
  6. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They played hard, but they just aren't very talented.
  7. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,858 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Nothing says rebuilding quite like having three rookies starting on the Oline at the beginning of a season.
  8. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    exactly
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,514 Messages
    9,681 Likes Received
    I don't doubt effort. I doubt talent.

Of course he's going to say he could have coached better. That's just him falling on his sword for his guys.
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,514 Messages
    9,681 Likes Received
    It's amazing how this is the mantra right now but when I talked about it at the beginning of the year I was a hater.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,881 Messages
    7,621 Likes Received
    I don't know that it's a mantra. The team was playing for the division title in week 17. We weren't rebuilding.

We *were* rebuilding the OL, though. And it was long overdue. And their performance this year wasn't as bad as we're pretending it was right now, either. We were middling, and we've got a hole at LG and could use some improvement at C. We're actually in pretty good shape compared to where we were just a season ago, when the out look for that unit was disastrous.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    when it mattered the O line could not get it done. That is not middling; that is POOR.
  13. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,241 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    But how can that explain a top of league QB rating for Romo in 4th quarters? Looks like more of a failure, consistently, on the defense...
  14. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,241 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    As the investigating officer walks up and asks: 'If you can't trust a guy by the name of Buddha, who can you trust?:)