1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Humans by Nature

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Afigueroa22, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Afigueroa22

Afigueroa22 Well-Known Member

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Are we naturally good or naturally bad?

Are we born with intellect? (ex: Einstein, Da Vinci, Hawking)

What is your opinion on how we as the human race have done so far? Please take into account as many aspects you can. (ex: wars, morals, media, social conventions, etc.)

Really take a second to think about this.
  2. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,503 Messages
    3,808 Likes Received
    Well, we are much more like Pan troglodytes than Pan paniscus so I would look at their behavior and its similarities to man. In fact they are so similar some think we should be in the same genus with them esp considering we share much of the same genetics.
  3. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,843 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    No way to answer this...

Some people take on genetic traits from biological parents while others don't... no scientific explanation as to why...

Some traits are learned, and some are built in...

The only thing we DO know is that we are all born innocent...
  4. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    The answer probably depends on mood, circumstance and perspective.
    One man can look at where humanity has come and gone and think it's a wonderful thing. Another can look at the same thing and mourn.

Ask a Sudanese this question and you'll get the entirely opposite answer had you asked an upscale American.

Overall if history teaches us anything it's that men don't learn from history, people still fight over land masses and resources. Despite, after securing their prosperity through war and solidifying certain era's of reasonable peace, they still degenerate into war at some point. They can maintain certain postures of higher thinking and reason, but in the end, military advantage is still the great restrictor of all out war, not reason.

Technology and science grow and so do greater ways to kill and abuse people with it.

It's not all bad. Some terrible people have done terrible things and created horrible situations. Some special people have been able to make some beautiful things and sometimes out of those terrible situations.
  5. Afigueroa22

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    These traits can be bypassed through sheer will. Every person has a precipice that changes the way they look at life and behave.
  6. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,404 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    We have progressed over the last million or so years of evolution.

I think generally man is good, that is why the bad stands out so much.

We are products both of genetics and environment.

My son is smarter than some as his parents are above average intelligence but he also has a good environment, his parents earn good inc, give him all the opportunity he needs to succeed. If we were poor, then he might not have had the same opportunities (certainly no private hockey club).
  7. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,503 Messages
    3,808 Likes Received
    Absolutely man has the free will to moderate his emotions and behaviors which are formed from both environment and genetics. However, if you look at the broad picture we are much more like P trog than any of the other primates and that should create some thought.

If you look at violent behavior, crime and testosterone levels you will be amazed. Is the female of these species more able to moderate behavior to avoid destructiveness or is it more in the genes/hormones/yada than we'd like to believe?
  8. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There is really no way to have a conversation about the inherant good or evil within mankind without bringing any sort of religion or spirituality into the discussion, because any inherant universal good or evil within us would have to be present at some higher level. If no such things exist, then we are simply products of our environment and genetics, "good" and "evil" have no real meaning outside of individual morality and this discussion is moot.
  9. trickblue

28,843 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    I disagree... there are several documented cases of siblings separated doing the same thing...

My oldest son has been with me longer than with his bio father (they have little contact), but definitely has his trait of irresponsibility/putting things off...

He didn't get that from me or mom...
  10. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,671 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    This.
  11. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,856 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    What is good?

What is bad?

Who says so?

Who makes the rules?

Who enforces the rules?

Where's the door if I want out?
  12. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Exactly.

Either there is a supreme entity, being or set of laws that govern the universe or there isn't and morality, good/evil, etc. is up for individual interpretation and nobody is inherantly anything, they just simply are.

Personally, I believe their is a higher authority from which morality is clearly derived and that man is inherantly good and the world twists and corrupts certain individuals because of a number of factors. I don't believe anyone is born "evil".
  13. trickblue

28,843 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    ***** ****** this is easy...

What is bad?
    Washington Redskins

Who says so?
    I do

Who makes the rules?
    I do

Who enforces the rules?
    I do

Where's the door if I want out?
    You can't get away from reality... it is what it is...
  14. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So sayeth trickblue
  15. trickblue

28,843 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    Yep... which is why your bible says "trickblue" on the lower right-hand side...

I'm Gospel... ;)
  16. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,070 Messages
    1,264 Likes Received
    Man is good. Men are evil.
  17. Afigueroa22

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    :bravo:
  18. Afigueroa22

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Maybe the fact that we don't actually try to get rid of the "classes" should tell you something.
  19. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Something about human nature.
  20. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    We are products of both our environment and our genetics.

No, intellect is "book smarts". Wisdom is different. it is learned through experience and no, you are not born with wisdom either. Now, some people are born with a natural ability in deductive reasoning. Those with that ability tend to be wiser than people who cannot.

My opinion? There are enough people that are selfish, greedy, power hungry, stupid, and flat criminals to make the would a inhospitable place.