1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hurricane Ike... *Merge*

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by dillinger319, Sep 12, 2008.

1. dillinger319

dillinger319 Striped Leopard Zone Supporter

825 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I dont know that this is the correct forum, if so feel free to move it mods..

I just wanted to take the time to wish all the families in the wake of this huge storm all the luck in the world. I hope everyone listened to the news and evacuated because what I see on tv is amazing yet very disturbing. My family will be praying for all of yours and theirs.

I was watching Fox news earlier and there were some idiots at a bar drinking heavily, when the news anchor informed them of "certain death" if they stayed, they just toasted each other. Wow Im pretty sure I would be out of there.
  2. stealth

stealth Benched

4,882 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am talking back and forth with people in houston at the moment.

prayers for all

but don't get caught up in the media hype, its really sad but it seems like its gotten into the weather now ever since Katrina.
  3. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Same here. You'd think the people in the city would be okay -- or at least not have their lives threatened -- but you have to hope that some of the ones closer to the coast make it okay.

I was just watching Houston TV and saw a disturbing thing... They said that up to 40% of the residents make have chosen to stay and ride it out? I hope that's not the case, because pretty much the entire island is going to be underwater.

Anyway... Best wishes for everyone.
  4. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,065 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I don't really think there's too much hype. The more the better. Hopefully more people will leave in the future.

I'm an insurance adjuster and work the 1st wave. Just got back from Gustav, because my company called me back to work this. I'll be on the ground by Sunday.

Most the people I talk with, after staying the first time, will never do so again. On top of the hours and hours off high winds, rain, and tornadoes - it's the days to weeks after the storm without water, electricity, or decent food.
  5. CowboysFan07

CowboysFan07 New Member

87 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That 40% was in Galveston, those of us here in North Houston haven't had and won't get a mandatory evac. We'll still get wind and rain but we aren't in anywhere near the danger that those in Galveston are.
  6. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Sorry, yeah, I just brain-farted and left that out. Obviously, that was Galveston.
  7. Nexx

Nexx Well-Known Member

1,610 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    anyone else wanna just ream into those idiots live right on the coast on a peninsula who thought they could ride the storm out only to put their lives and the coast guard rescuers lives at risk after they realized they made a big mistake? :mad:
  8. miamicowboy21

miamicowboy21 Active Member

2,836 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    My prayers go out to everyone, just a week ago Ike seemed headed my way in south florida. Somehow it went west and avoided us. All you can do is be prepared and listen to the local officials. Storms make you appericiate the simple things you take for granted like, power, and cable television.

Good luck to all.
  9. stealth

stealth Benched

4,882 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree that it is a pain in the butt if you stay(assuming the best), but I am on the fence if telling people they are all gonna die is worth it.

I can see both sides of the "why" I just don't know what is right or wrong in this instance.
  10. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,046 Messages
    790 Likes Received
    I live in Nacogdoches ..... deep east Texas ..... it supposed to run over us tomorrow.
  11. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,042 Messages
    1,152 Likes Received
    The media totally overreacts to this sort of thing. Of course, if you're directly on the coast in a trailer home, you better be gone. But outside of that, there's not much damage going to be done. I guess it's a good thing they overdo it, because it's better safe than sorry. But there's a reason the city was built inland. And there's a reason only one "hurricane" has ever done any significant damage to the city. And that wasn't even a hurricane, it was just a tropical storm that stayed over the city too long. You're not going to see much wind or rain damage that you wouldn't see in any normal severe thunderstorm.
  12. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,065 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    It's not just those on the coast that get damage. Tree damage is very significant and can cause death. Plus, random tornadoes spiral out of these storms quite often.

Your being very naive to think just those on the coast are affected by these storms.
  13. theogt

44,042 Messages
    1,152 Likes Received
    Naive or just lived through quite a few of them. It's whatever.
  14. CactusCowboy

CactusCowboy Benched

1,861 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If people who live close to shore stay, they are just plain stupid. I do not wish ill feelings on anyone, but if you are stranded because you did not heed the warnings, you kind of get what you deserve.
  15. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Yea i agree. The main thing i worry about is losing power/water. Hurricanes have to be the most over hyped thing every to be created by mother nature. Now if you never hear from me again after tonight, then i was wrong. :p
  16. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,849 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    Victoria shouldn't get it too bad since they are on the left side of the hurricane. Those in Galveston and to the right will get the brunt.
  17. theogt

44,042 Messages
    1,152 Likes Received
    lol...I was just thinking the same thing.
  18. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,065 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  19. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I wish all the best with this up comming hurricane. I honestly feel you are all apart of my extended family and wish this storm would poof and disappear. My prayers are to you and your family
  20. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Yea i hope so, but took all the precautions just in case. They do say 60-70 mph winds can still cause power outages and with the storm being so big we may feel some of those gusts. As long as i have power for Sunday football day!