1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hypothetical Question... Trade Up?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Hostile, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,124 Messages
    3,184 Likes Received
    We all love trading down and adding picks.

If Dallas trades up to Miami's spot (let's assume to take Barron) how would you feel?

Would this forum explode?
  2. myslamsareolder

myslamsareolder Active Member

200 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I hate trading up in the first unless someone falls hard (i.e. Dez). Trading up to get a player just because you're scared someone else will is dumb. Its called bidding against yourself. I'm a fan of staying put. If you trade it should be down.
  3. Canadian BoyzFan

Canadian BoyzFan Active Member

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    It would be the epitome of stoooopid.
  4. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It may make some sense it really depends on how they graded the players
  5. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,487 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    I can't stand it when we trade down for more pics. History has in no way shown that this team can make the most of those pics. This team is best off when we just stay where we are and take BPA.

I would be completely in favor of trading up for Barron. We are not that far off in talent and he is quite possibly the difference maker we have needed in the secondary for years.
  6. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,098 Messages
    1,310 Likes Received
    I can't see it happening. But I suppose it depends in how things are shaking out in the draft and what sort of intel they have.
  7. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Do it. We all realize they aren't going to draft DeCastro at this point. May as well get the guy you want.

As long as it doesn't cost our 2nd rounder. I think that pick will be a good impact pick.
  8. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Who are we trading up for?
  9. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    For Barron? No way. For Cox or Coples? Ehh depends on the price. 14 and 45 is a bit much to be honest. Although we could then trade back in the 3rd for another 4th and 5th. So our draft would be pick #8(Cox or Coples), 3 4ths, 2 5ths, 6th, and 7th. Could we make an impact with those picks?
  10. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    IMO trading up this year would be a waste of picks with the # of holes we need to fill....If we were needing a franchise QB it would be different, although after the first two I wouldn't say there is one at this point and too early to draft one this year.
  11. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,092 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    Cox is the only player i would not rage if we traded up for

My wish is still that we sit tight and grab DeCastro, i'm cool with Barron at 14 if that's the pick but i really hope we don't trade up for him
  12. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,045 Messages
    9 Likes Received
  13. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    If it is a trade up for cox, I'd def be okay with it. It'll pain me since it seriously reduces the chances up us getting Irvin later in the draft, but I could support the move.
  14. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,198 Messages
    948 Likes Received
    I'd be furious if we traded our 1 and 2 for anybody.

If Cox were to fall to 10 and we used our 3rd to trade to that spot and grab him, I guess I'd be cool with that - I think Dallas knows what they're doing when they construct a draft board, and if the board says they should do this, great.

If "our guys" are being picked off early and there's only one left by 12 or 13, I'd be okay with using our 4th to make sure we get him.
  15. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

8,138 Messages
    642 Likes Received
    I can't fathom trading our #2 or #3 for anyone at this point.
  16. dannyboy

dannyboy Member Zone Supporter

359 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cox seems to be the only pick we would move up for. My concern with him is that he wasn't on anyone radar till this year. How proven is he?
  17. Hostile

119,124 Messages
    3,184 Likes Received
    I believe that is in the OP.
  18. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,923 Messages
    120 Likes Received
    I mentioned this exact scenario in a reply to one of SDogo's posts a few threads down. I think Miami is exactly who we'd have to trade with to secure either Barron or Cox. Tannehill still might fall to them at #14. Honestly, I'd only trade up to 8 for either Claiborne or Kalil if they fall that far (very doubtful). But, if the Cowboys are dead set on Cox or Barron, and it's not going to cost them too many picks this year (let's say next year's first only), then I wouldn't be too upset.
  19. Hostile

119,124 Messages
    3,184 Likes Received
    Could be a player, not a draft pick.

Felix...for instance was at one time rumored to be on Miami's radar. Now, we denied it like crazy...
  20. Pabst

Pabst Active Member

970 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    I have a feeling that if Dallas trades up, it'll only be with Arizona one spot ahead. They'll offer something like a 5th rounder to ensure they get Barron or Cox ahead of the Jets and Eagles.

The big problem with staying at 14 right now, is Arizona would seem to want a OT badly. If Reilly goes off the board earlier than expected, they'll be looking to trade down as much as possible to get the best value for Cordy Glenn or a more ready made OT. So you'll have a team that wants to trade down, and teams that want to trade up to jump Dallas. Not a good situation.