1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hypothetical

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by JDSTAR, Jan 31, 2013.

1. JDSTAR

JDSTAR Active Member

218 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Lets say we find lots of depth for both the Oline and Dline from the combine and pro days. Would you take Cordarelle Patterson if he fell to 18? He is a true talent at the WR position and he would make our receiving corp look elite.
  2. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Jerrah? Is that you?
  3. JDSTAR

JDSTAR Active Member

218 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Maybe
  4. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    :laugh2: It wouldn't surprise me at all if he took a wr.
  5. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    No. I would trade back with the Vikings, so they could take him. We need top qualify OL and DL, not more receivers.

Stop drafting 4th - 7th round players and hope they develop.

There is a reason SF has a good line, they have 3 1st rounders playing the OL.
  6. JDSTAR

JDSTAR Active Member

218 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Yea, but they also have 3 first round recievers (Crabtree, Jenkins, Moss) and a first round TE. I know you can make the argument that two of those players have been obsolete this season.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,695 Messages
    5,845 Likes Received
    I said in another post that in 3 years when we look back at the 2013 draft, Cordarrelle Patterson might be the best player drafted.

I would only consider it if Warmack and Cooper are gone. Those are the only 2 must-have players for me that could be at #18.

I put a higher value on OLinemen over DLinemen because of the percentage of snaps played. The DLinemen are normally in a rotation; whereas, the OLinemen normally play 100% of the offensive snaps.
  8. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,480 Messages
    843 Likes Received
    Jenkins doesn't count. He doesn't do anything
  9. chuch

chuch Member

49 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I've always wondered whether front offices takes this into account when determining positional value. Seems like keeping more skilled players on the field for longer periods of time should be obvious.
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    I'll be kind here.

NO:D

The kid is talented though, I'll give him that.
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    Wouldn't hate it. Doing so would mean releasing Miles, and hopefully landing a G or T in FA or via trade.

However, I think if he falls, a trade back with someone who really covets him makes a lot of sense.
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,662 Messages
    1,486 Likes Received
    They should take the highest rated player on the board, the scouts have actually been good at spotting talent. If somebody offers them a deal that blows em away, they should take the deal. In general though, I believe this team needs more bodies, not less.
  13. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,189 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    Only if he was the best player on our board and I couldn't trade out.
  14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,695 Messages
    5,845 Likes Received
    Good point about Austin. They could put the 6M in salary cap savings into a Lineman; therefore, partially offsetting the fact that they didn't take one with #18.

The problem is that they would need to sign the Free Agent Lineman before the draft.
  15. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    They didnt' draft Moss, so you can't count him.

They drafted Jenkins the year after they went to an NFC Championship game and the OL was established. When we get our OL established, I will be all for using another 1st rounder on a skill position.

Until then, no WR/TE/RB in the first 2 rounds. They are all a dime a dozen.
  16. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    Right. It would only work if the Cowboys decided that WR was a priority, and designated Miles as a June 1 cut.
  17. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,195 Messages
    2,792 Likes Received

:laugh2: