1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I am congratulating Jerry

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Joe Realist, Jun 18, 2014.

1. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

27,561 Messages
    1,096 Likes Received
    Guess they didn't see the 1998 movie remake of the show either. Young people. lol. :)
  2. Cowboy_Shawn

Cowboy_Shawn Active Member

550 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    Yep and I'm willing to bet that there are at least a couple hundred other NFL players hitting up Vegas and other party destinations across the country as well but no one cares about them so they're not being stalked by TMZ and the paparazzi. And there's definitely no ESPN "party tracker" or whatever that thing was called that ESPN had up the other day where they were tracking all of Manziel's destinations.

If the kids performs well I would not care one bit about all the media attention. As long as he's where he's supposed to be and not doing anything illegal.

Besides we're the Cowboys. There's always going to be a circus surrounding the Cowboys, especially with Jerry Jones running things. No other middle of the pack NFL team is covered nationally like the Cowboys. So with or without Manziel, the circus will always be in town when it comes to Dallas. Whether you like it or not.
  3. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

6,014 Messages
    338 Likes Received
    Jerry was never taking Manziel anyway, the dumb GM just gave his aging quarterback a huge extension...so I fail to see what you're congratulating him for....
  4. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,202 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    I hope the reason we passed on Manziel was for football reasons and not circus reasons.
    LOBO7, daveferr33 and JoeyBoy718 like this.
  5. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,516 Messages
    3,750 Likes Received
    To me, it is asinine when it is the offseason and there is nothing, literally, to judge whether or not Manziel "gets it". If he crashes and burns in a game after a weekend of drinking champagne from the back of an inflatable goose, beat him up then.
    StarBoyz83 likes this.
  6. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

7,899 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I made a comment once about the remake of True Grit, when a few people were talking about it, after it first came out....someone said....that was an old movie before...I then asked if they ever heard of John Wayne...they paused, said, yes, then said they would look it up and watch the original too then...
  7. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,388 Messages
    509 Likes Received

I was torn. On one hand Manziel is a talent. On the other hand, the one with 6 fingers, I thought Manziel was a ticking timebomb.

Then the other day I saw a photo of him in a mini-camp and the guy next to him dwarfed him.
    My concussion is this:

This kid will be thowing a lot of sidearm passes when them 6'-7" defensive linemen come at him. He will have to scamble and revert to Johnny "Won't Stay in the Pocket" and will become a interception king.

good job, Jerra, you resisted a grab for celebrity and flash and instead was more prudence and picked accordingly.
  8. Cowboy_Shawn

550 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    His size is the thing that always concerned me as well. Not necessarily his height but his weight.

Brees and Russell Wilson are successful QBs who are 6' and under but they are a little bulkier than Manziel. Plus neither of them run as much and when they do they know when to get down and avoid the hit.

My concern is that Manziel is a bit stubborn/cocky when he's running in the open field. Kind of like RGIII back in 2012. He doesn't want to slide and wants to prove how tough he is by putting his head down and fighting for a few extra yards.

I'm sure the Cleveland brass has talked to him extensively about this but young guys like him are usually head strong and don't listen until it's too late. Again....see RGIII. Washington coaches told him several times that he needed to get down or get out of bounds but he was so hardwired to fight for extra yardage that their advice never took until he got hurt. Two knee injuries later, now he gets it.

I can easily see the same thing happening to Manziel. I watched him play a lot and just like RGIII he'd rather lower his head than slide down. He got banged up a little playing that way in the SEC. Nothing serious but still. In the NFL we all know the players are bigger, faster stronger....but you also have to factor in all the extra practice sessions and extra preseason and regular season games.

It'll be interesting to see how long he holds up in year one. I suspect he'll put on 10 pounds or so going into next year.
    cml750 likes this.
  9. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,404 Messages
    830 Likes Received
    I agree. Only time will tell if it was the right decision. It 's easy to say so right now.
    cml750 likes this.
  10. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,322 Messages
    1,622 Likes Received
    I don't watch college football, but the fact we don't even call a bootleg, except every time their is a solar eclipse, is enough to quash the idea that he would be good for us. That is why I'm glad he wasn't drafted.
  11. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,322 Messages
    1,622 Likes Received
    Please don't put Weeden and great in the same sentence...
    cml750 likes this.
  12. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,318 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    This team is enough of a circus w/out Johnny Fanziel.
  13. GimmeTheBall!

12,388 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    Are you a scout?
    That was an awfully good assessment.

Thx!
  14. GimmeTheBall!

12,388 Messages
    509 Likes Received

or Romo and Super Bowl, or Romo and Manning/Brady etc.. . . . wait, that is another thread. nevermind.
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Exactly. If Romo doesn't come back from his surgeries or his career is shortened. The decision to pass on Manziel won't look so smart. Good point about the Cabo trip as well.
    cml750 likes this.
  16. Cowboy_Shawn

550 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    LOL...I'm no scout.

I just based my assessment on general observations from watching Manziel in college.
  17. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,825 Messages
    1,236 Likes Received
    Very True!

Having to root for Deion as a Cowboy is enough for one lifetime!
    daveferr33 likes this.
  18. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

7,899 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    LOL
    Wasn't my intention to have that analogy. I'll rephrase next time, if it comes up.
    khiladi likes this.
  19. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,314 Messages
    696 Likes Received
    Even if Romo doesn't play another down passing on Manziel could still be the right decision. Manziel may not be a good QB. I'm betting he won't be.
    DFWJC and CowboyMike like this.
  20. Cowboy_Shawn

550 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    I was against drafting him as well. Mainly because I wanted us to go all in on upgrading the defense. Plus I was assuming Romo would be our guy for the next couple of years.

Next year I'd be perfectly fine going after a QB in the first round; provided the value is right.