1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I call for a switch back to the 4-3

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jblaze2004, Nov 23, 2012.

1. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,482 Messages
    711 Likes Received
    No kidding, with Lee and Carter we have 2/3 of an awesome 4 - 3 line-backing core. I am ready to make the switch. What good is a 3 - 4 if you don't use to blitz which we rarely do?
  2. GoCowboysGo

GoCowboysGo Active Member

981 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    This is exactly the problem I have, dropping LBs who should be rushing the passer seems ineffective, made even worse if you don't have a huge, athletic NT who eats up two gaps, which we don't have.

Earlier poster is right though, there are just so many problems with this team! :mad:
  3. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,741 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    the 3-4 is not the reason we don't get turnovers, its lack of pressure. We rush 4 and 5 and still don't get pressure. The secondary doesn't make plays either, and that has nothing to do with 3-4 or 4-3.

Better, more talented personnel up front, that can play the run and pressure the QB is what is needed.
  4. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,917 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    i understand your point of view but our 3-4 has not been like the steelers and etc 3-4. No exotic blitzes and we seem to love the 4 man rush. If we are going to use the 4 man rush so much than we should just switch to a 4-3.

Our 4 man rush is basically ware, rat when healthy, hatcher and coleman or spears. that isn't a good 4 man rush unit. I rather replace spears/coleman with someone that can actually rush the passer.
  5. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,482 Messages
    711 Likes Received
    In a 4 - 3 we could have Rat and Ware next to each other. That would give OC's a little acid reflux!!!
  6. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,741 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    and that is where better, more talented players come in. The only reason Spears is even on the team is because he was a first round pick. If you compare the Steelers front 7 and ours, its easy to see the talent difference. In their front 7, all players make sacks and cause fumbles. In ours, not so much. It is a talent deficiency in our DL.
  7. jblaze2004

8,917 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    this. Double team ware and hello rat, double team rat and hello ware. Its so simple but so hard for us to do this lol.
  8. ak47kaehu

ak47kaehu Active Member

315 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    4 words....big dominant nose tackle! I guess the "get better corners to improve the passrush" argument didnt work out to well! We need a few guys on the D line that require 2 blockers to free up the linebackers.
  9. jblaze2004

8,917 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    yeah but i doubt we do that until rat retires or gets traded. Jerry won't allow it:bang2:
  10. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,777 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    The good thing about the 4-3 is that the loss of Spencer would not hurt at all. If DWare could gain about 10lbs he could be a full time starter, Ratliff would tear it up at DT, Lissmore and Brent could rotate heavily, and Bass and Crawford are already big enough and athletic enough to make an impact on stong side DE in a 4-3. Carter and Lee would still be great in a 4-3 and Dallas could probably sign Sims cheaply to play the weakside.
  11. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

4,266 Messages
    1,339 Likes Received
    The real question is, how long are we going to put terrible players at the Safety position? It's been 3 straight season now of horrible play from both safety positions. How bad do they have to be before that changes?
  12. jblaze2004

8,917 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    idk we always seem to wait. I think we will go next year with sensy, church and maybe johnson battling it out at the safety positions.
  13. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,731 Messages
    624 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

Way to pull these stats out of your ear and draw the wrong conclusions. The Cowboys have only been playing the 3-4 since Parcells (and that happened mid way thru his tenure). 4-3 under Gailey and Campo reeked too.

The organization as a whole is to blame for that record, not the defensive scheme. Parcells, Wade and even Rob Ryan are proven. The 3-4 seems to be working just fine in Houston. :rolleyes:
  14. landroverking

landroverking Well-Known Member

1,574 Messages
    252 Likes Received
    Carter strong side Conner weak side Lee in the middle.
  15. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,731 Messages
    624 Likes Received
    Conner on weakside would be fubar. He is just not fast enough to cover RBs. Connor is an average MLB only. Sims on the weakside makes more sense. He could be the fastest LB (maybe defensive player) on the team.
  16. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,796 Messages
    5,951 Likes Received
    ^This.
  17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,818 Messages
    639 Likes Received
    Might as well just run the 4-3 Flex just for old times sake. You can put Lee in White's old postion just for fun too.

Ryan pretty runs a 4-3 Weak regardless of who is labeled what. The RDE is really a RDT and Ware is the RDE. Thats why Rat does well, he isnt a 3-4 0 tech NT nor asked to play one.

For all the other fubar'd things with this team, the alignment of the D isnt one of them. Just pretend Ware is in a 3 point stance and you will feel better.
  18. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,673 Messages
    1,018 Likes Received
    yeah because this will help so much...
  19. durrrr

durrrr Active Member

719 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    I'm not opposed to the 4-3, but saying we need to switch back to it "because we barely get any turnovers" or "because we won 3 super bowls with it" is hilarious.
  20. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,550 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    Well when you rush 4 or fewer 76% of the time and blitz 24% of the time, you already running a fundamental 4-man line.

We may line up as a 3-4 team but we sure don't blitz like one.