1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I got 1 hand in my Mocket

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CATCH17, Jan 30, 2011.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,285 Messages
    1,496 Likes Received
    4 Round Mock

Round 1: Von Miller

Rob Ryan will love his versatility and allow him to be more dynamic in his defensive playcalling because of Millers ability to cover.

Round 2: Phil Taylor

Cowboys find another big athletic guy to put on the D Line.

Round 3: Curtis Brown

Just got a DB in Round 3 who is already solid and has a load of upside

Round 4: James Carpenter

A Guard / Tackle combo player. Gives us good depth and will be Biggs eventual replacement

Note: It's hard to make a mock draft and not feel obligated to take a Offensive Tackle early.
  2. Brother Ali

Brother Ali Benched

72 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Von Miller is really growing on me. Only as a pass rusher though. I really question his all around game as far as run stopping goes. I've watched a few of his games and he seems to just pin his ears back and rush the passer. It might just be A&M's scheme, but seems like he'd get swallowed up by NFL OT's on run plays.
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,285 Messages
    1,496 Likes Received

I agree with what you're saying but I don't think he will be used as a traditional OLB.

I think he'll play some ILB too.
  4. Brother Ali

Brother Ali Benched

72 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Seems to risky for me at 9. I have to question his strength. We know he's got the speed, but he doesn't seem physical enough to play ILB in some packages.

He's got more questions then answers. You take a guy like that in the 20's. Not the single digits. Trade down, draft Carimi. Probably the safest pick in the draft. He's going to be your RT for the next 10 years.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,224 Messages
    1,947 Likes Received
    Mocket Pool has always been a favorite past time of mine.
  6. acer941

acer941 Member

249 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I'd love that draft if we signed Huff, Mankins and Clabo out of Free Agency.
  7. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Read up on Von Miller at Rafael Vela's site. Von Miller isn't first round material, and definitely not top 10.
  8. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,842 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    I dont get this Von Miller hype. ILB now? Hes not phsyical enough for that.

He can definitely cause problems on the blindside as an edge-rusher. Let the Cards or Bills take him.

I liked what I saw from Phil Taylor, but if they think Brent is worthy of starters snaps then maybe NT gets pushed down on the needs list
  9. Bulldog

Bulldog Member

159 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Miller seems to me to be a bit small to be a 34 olb. May be better suited for the inside. Outside linebackers must be able to take on blockers in the run game. I think he may need to put on about 20 lbs to be effective.
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,285 Messages
    1,496 Likes Received

Even at Millers size is anyone worried about him producing tackles and sacks?
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,096 Messages
    998 Likes Received
    I think Miller showed he is really a 4-3 OLB at the senior bowl.

He is far better in space than expected but never once anchored a point of attack. He beats people with speed and quickness to be sure but he would not make a 3-4 OLB right now.

I could see him as a Chicago Bear, not as a Dallas Cowboy.

His best position in Dallas is LB next to Bradie James or at SS. Crazy but true.

---------------------

Phil Taylor is pretty far from every down play. He is a solid NT prospect but he can't take on double teams all game right now. 40 is alot to gove up for him imho.

----------------------

I believe Curtis Brown is a Free Safety or a cover 2 CB. I do not think is the type of CB we'd draft. I do think he could be a stellar FS. Has great speed but isn't great in the hips on turning with guys.
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,096 Messages
    998 Likes Received
    As a 3-4 DE I'd worry about him living beyond the first quarter.
    He just isn't a real big or real strong guy. He is very quick and effective but he needs space to get away from OL. The closer he is to the LOS imho the worse he will be. I think he'd be a beast of a blitzer as a 4-3 LB but covered better than he anchored the end.

If he faced us for another 3-4 team we'd single block him with Witten and Witten would drive him 5 yards off the ball every snap.
  13. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,759 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    Picks two and three would be sweet...not huge on Miller myself, but I get your line of thinking.
  14. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Von Miller is a not a player that will fit on this team.

I suppose if you want to be a hardcore "BPA" guy, then you can try to argue him. But he is a horrible fit for this team. His best fit is the position that Ware plays, and we aren't drafting a backup for Ware at #9.

This is putting aside whether he would be BPA at #9 (I don't think he would be). But it is nearly impossible to suggest that he would be a good fit for this team.
  15. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ***??????

:bang2:

NT is a need now? ***** ******. I feel like I've taken ****** pills reading this board the last couple of weeks.

We have an All-Pro caliber NT and the position is a "need"? You've got to be fricking kidding me!

People have been saying the same stupid crap about moving Rat for the last few seasons, but in the last week, more and more people are acting like Rat has to move. As if we cannot think about keeping a Pro Bowler in a position he is All-pro caliber at.

Will someone explain this to me????? This is becoming no longer funny and is becoming more and more a painfully obnoxious thing to see.
  16. MarionBarberThe4th

11,842 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    You over your temper-tantrum?

Ive been saying for years to keep him there but theres some talk of him bouncing between both positions. Ill bow to guys who have been coaching D for their entire lives. If they think Rat can play some DE and our D needs a monster NT in the rotation who am I to disagree

So between Bowen, Rat, Spears, and Brent you have 4 guys you think deserve plenty of snaps. 2 of them are primary NT's so you have to think NT is down on the priority list
  17. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is what I am asking. Where do you get this information from? Who is saying this? What coach? I haven't heard this from anyone other than board people saying the same crap that has been said for the past 3 off-seasons.
  18. MarionBarberThe4th

11,842 Messages
    69 Likes Received

I was w/ you, Rat was killing it and it made no sense to me either why people would want to move him to a run-stuffing position.

I think this comes from Ryans type of defense, from what I remember someone posted, its usually had a big fatty at NT.

Its not a big deal, the more versatile all these guys are the better. We have 4 of our 5 or 6 man rotation(If they re-sign who they should re-sign). They do need to cut Igor and draft someone and get another guy in the mix.
  19. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,285 Messages
    1,496 Likes Received

See I think there is 2 things Von Miller will do well day 1.

Cover in the middle of the field. And Rush the passer.

Could we use those 2 traits?
  20. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He doesn't have a fit for this team..... that is what makes him so great.

Ryan will have fun with this kid.