1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I Guess It's Peterson...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by BIGDen, Apr 24, 2011.

1. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,394 Messages
    198 Likes Received
    Unless he's surprisingly picked in the top 4. I expect him to last until 6 (maybe he goes at 5). If we have deals in place for 6 and maybe 5 it seems like that is what's likely to happen. I hope not. Having others fight for our pick and getting additional picks sounds much better to me. When so many teams are vying for our spot and we have a cluster of guys we're comfortable with in a trade-down, why not just let the draft come to us? If we move up for PP, he had better be a perennial All-Pro or it probably wasn't worth it.
  2. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,273 Messages
    479 Likes Received
  3. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    I think if we can get him at 6 that's not bad. We'll only be spending our 3rd, and I'm fairly certain that the Cowboys planned to add an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick on day 2 anyway.
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    881 Likes Received
    We can trade down in the 2nd and recoup that 3rd if we play our cards right.
  5. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    Exactly.
  6. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I have to admit, I was initially against moving up for PP. But, if the Cowboys rate him once in a decade type CB (and they are correct), and it only costs a 3rd, that's very good value, imo.

The only negative I've heard regarding PP is that he's probably the one of the biggest CBs to play the game and he might be better off at Safety. But even if he can play CB at an elite level for the first part of his career, he can always move to Safety - like Rod Woodson - later in his career.
  7. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,431 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    I hope so. I may even go streaking if we pull this off.

:D
  8. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,011 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    I would love to leapfrog the Niners and steal him. One of my best friends is a huge Niners fan, and their secondary is awful.
  9. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,457 Messages
    140 Likes Received

You need to change your sig then! lol
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,821 Messages
    2,669 Likes Received
    I've almost come around to this, too. I still think his ultimate greatness is probably way overstated, but all this talk of the OTs makes me nervous.
  11. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,961 Messages
    555 Likes Received
    If we do somehow end up with Peterson does he start at FS from day 1? I think he would be best suited there honestly. I could see him having an Ed Reed type of career if he were to play FS
  12. Dash28

6,431 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    He will start at corner without a doubt. He could move to S later in his career.
  13. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,394 Messages
    198 Likes Received
    I just like the idea of coming away with 2 firsts (trade down and then use our 2nd and extra 3rd to move back into late first) much better. We would still have a 3rd. Or even using the two 3rds to move up for an additional 2nd. I love the top of the 2nd each year and it would kill me to watch us slide down (to recoup the 3rd)away from quality guys that were borderline 1st rounders. I just
    Like it when we have extra picks in high rounds. The draft is more fun and we have more opportunities to add quality (not '09 low round quantity). This thread is pretty much me preparing myself for a draft where the team does something I'm not really in favor of again. If we move up I pray PP is an all-time great.
  14. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,415 Messages
    1,621 Likes Received
    Makes me nervous too.

I wish I could just be assured that the team won't move back any further than 14 and would just take T Smith, Watt or Castonzo, while keeping their pick at 40.

My big fear is that they'll start trading back and end up somewhere in the 20's with everyone they like off the board. Then, God knows where they'll end up picking... or who they'll end up picking.

To start out hoping for Peterson, Smith, Watt, or Castonzo and then to end up trading completely out of round 1 for a bunch of maybe's would just about ruin an already ruined offseason.

I might not could take it.
  15. Dash28

6,431 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    I just hope they don't get too cute and mess this up.

Trade up and get PP or just take Smith at 9.

If they get a real good trade down offer than that is a good 3rd option as long as it's not too far down.
  16. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,415 Messages
    1,621 Likes Received

Agreed.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    That is what really worries me. Jerruh is always trying to outshine and out perform at the draft; make moves to look good. It has backfired more often than it has worked.
  18. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,419 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    i just dont want to get my hopes up thinking its a lock that we are picking Peterson so im curbing my enthusiasm for him heh.
  19. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,457 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    When you have two hall of fame players on your team at one time who were both drafted it's kind of hard to argue against some of our results.

We have some of the best Undrafted players in the entire league, we have two hall of fame players on our squad as well as a number of good young players.
  20. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I don't know, he's made some good and bad decisions, but there's zero evidence that he's trading around "to look good."