1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I hope you don't like Billy Joel & Bruce Springsteen

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by avaj, Oct 17, 2008.

1. avaj

avaj Guest

2. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  3. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,080 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    Why????????
  4. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't judge musicians or actors for their politician leanings.. I still love Billy Joel and still dislike Bruce because of what he did to his former wife because she wanted a career. And I use to be a huge Bruce fan

If I judged actors over politics, I'd have to have a yard sale to get rid of my TV and all my DVDs

Actors are professional liars by trade and I'm not going to take them seriously on whom I should vote for
  5. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,701 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    I make it a little more simple....I dislike Bruce because he's one of the worst singers I've ever heard,IMO!
  6. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    WELL.... THAT TOO. :laugh2:
  7. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Umm care to run what he did to his former wife by me?

He gave her 10 million bucks so she wouldnt go around writing tell all books because the guy is quiet and reserved and doesnt want his family life in public.

So please explain to me what he did to his wife, I am curious what you think he did?
  8. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,758 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    I don't pretend to know what he did to his ex other than cheating on her, but when has he ever been quiet or reserved? He always interjects his concerts with his political leanings...
  9. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He cheated on her with his backup singer because she wanted to have a career and put off starting a family for a bit. He cheated w/ Patti and she got pregnant while he was still married to his previous wife. Thats when he divorced her. It was all over the news back then... before the settlement
  10. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    HIs political beliefs have nothing to do with personal details of his life or his family.

His ex wife, whom he was barely married to wanted to write a book on their short marriage. He asked her not to and she took 10 million bucks.

He has a rep now as this over top liberal because of the element of todays media, but the truth is he never was this political until his reunion tour in 99.

Even at his peak he didnt do the stuff he does today.

He used to do benefit stuff for vietnam vets all the time. Some of his most legendary nights were from a series of concerts in los angeles and san diego in 80 and 81, with everything going to vietnam vets charities. And he has countless of charities for cancer and police and fire and many other worthwile causes. But he gets no credit for any of that, because the media is well, it is what it is and they just run around screaming he likes liberals, like that is a bad thing.

I always crack up listening to people get all mad about him playing benefits for democratic candidates, when they dont know anything about the guy.

I remember when o'reilly had some beef with him years ago and he did this whole piece about how he lived in beverly hills and his family moved there.....blah blah blah. He was completely wrong but I sitll here the righties today that have beef with him saying he is beverly hills guy!!!! Funny stuff.

anyway back to the point. He only did a few interviews and and did very little media for about 90% of his career. He used to turn down anything asked of him because he wanted it all about his music. Once he came back for the reunion tour he eased up because there was such a demand from guys like myself to see him play and he started doing the conan obrien type shows.

He still is reserved, but when he does these types of things they are very visible.
  11. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    She had a career. She was a succesful actress.

Their marriage was a mistake. She wanted to live in los angeles near her very wealthy family and he lived on a farm in colts neck nj, which he still has.

His cheating on her with patti scalfia came after they were basically seperated. She never wanted a family, she wanted to say in los angeles and after the born in the usa tour ended and his life slowed down he hated his life.

It was essentially over with her when he started making public appearences with patti. and his ex was more than happy to threaten him with a tell all book about him and his family. So he gave her 10 million bucks in a settlement. And by the way she never wanted to act anymore. She essentially retired on that.

Do some research. They were not even living in the same state when they were married! It was doomed from the start.

Listen to tunnel of love. The whole album is about his uncomfortableness in his life and his remorse for having married and then divorced. And my dates maybe screwed up but when his son evan was born I believe it was 90 or 89. Long after he was divorced, but technically he did cheat on her. But it was what it was and they both knew it.

Its a silly reason not to like him. He is one of the good guys.
  12. trickblue

28,758 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    WHOA WHOA WHOA... he was never political until '99? Are you kidding me? He has ALWAYS been political...

I attended college in the early 80's and his music was and has been ALWAYS political. How could you say it's not?

Look, I like Springsteen's music a LOT, but don't pretend some revelation came to him in '99. Born in the USA is a political statement...

His music has ALWAYS been political and he has said as much...

I prefer to separate the musician from that and attempt to enjoy the concert.

There is no bigger fan of the band "Boston" than am I. Are they political? yep... but I'm still a fan...
  13. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Listen to Iron Maiden.
  14. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    WRONG!!

I AM
  15. trickblue

28,758 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    I challenge you to a Boston trivia contest...

Name your price...
  16. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You can't afford my price and you know it
  17. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,876 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I remember a press conference he did objecting to Reagan's characterization of "Born in the U.S.A" as "patriotic". Is was apparent to anybody (except Reagan) who listened to the lyrics that the song was a protest song ( a great song ) and Bruce wouldn't let it slide.
  18. trickblue

28,758 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    Yep... and that was the '84 election...

I love me some Reagan... and I love me some Bruce...

Different entities, different genres...

Theebs is a really good guy, he just has his years way wrong...
  19. trickblue

28,758 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    PLEASE!!!... :rolleyes:
  20. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Actually he was a part of the No Nukes Rally/Tour in '79.
    Not as a knock on him, but as a child I remember him clear as a bell being involved and vocal about this kind of thing.

He has his politics and that's his right.