1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I hope you're not afraid of heights

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by theogt, Sep 16, 2010.

1. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,720 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    Be sure to click expand to full screen before watching.

[youtube]uccjrp5NRYE[/youtube]
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,212 Messages
    1,938 Likes Received
    Free climb that height? Sorry, seems like there should be some sort of system that is both quick and safe.
  3. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's pretty gnarly. I am NOT afraid of heights at all, but that would be SCARY. The wind, I imagine, is very strong at that height. Wowzers~!

BTW, what's the point (besides mounting the camera) of the helmets? I don't think they'll save you from a fall that height.

I've also heard that if you fall from that high up, you'll have a heart attack and die before you hit the ground. Anybody know if there is any validity to that statement?
  4. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,469 Messages
    790 Likes Received
    I imagine the helmet is to protect you from tools or small equipment falling on you.

I heard the heart attack thing was a myth. It was during a recent interview with a skydiver. Interesting question.

That video was making my tummy tingle. I guess I am prone to vertigo or something.
  5. mrwarr16

mrwarr16 New Member

89 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can't believe they allow them to climb that and sometimes it looks like he isn't tied off? Im surprised that isn't violating any safety issues. lol
  6. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I used to climb electrical grid towers. Nothing that tall, but once you hit a certain height, it doesn't matter anymore. If you fall, your dead anyway.

The hard part to watch in the video was the fact that he kept looking up and down. That will causes feelings of vertigo pretty quickly. When climbing like that, you have to focus on things right in front of you and ignore your anything in the distance. Last thing you want while climbing like that is to experience vertigo.
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    They explain it in the video. It's actually much harder and more tiring to keep tying off and untying while climbing. When you are climbing those kind of heights, it is far to difficult to do. (not to mention extremely time consuming)
  8. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

14,994 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    I don't mind heights as long as I'm looking up at them from the ground.
  9. jimmy40

14,994 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    I almost threw up
  10. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,143 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I couldn't even last 2 minutes through that video.

[IMG]
  11. joseephuss

20,469 Messages
    790 Likes Received
    Falling is more scary than the height itself. Although there is a certain peaceful feeling when falling at 120 mph. I have one jump out of a plane and free falling was very cool. Floating under the parachute was even better in my opinion.
  12. HoleInTheRoof

HoleInTheRoof Benched

3,265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Imagine getting to the top and having to take a dump . . .
  13. jimmy40

14,994 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    I would think trying to get me to jump out of a perfectly good airplane would be the best Youtube video ever.
  14. joseephuss

20,469 Messages
    790 Likes Received
    The plane I was in was not perfectly good. It was grounded the day before due to mechanical problems. A lot of planes I see skydivers use seem to be of the jalopy variety.
  15. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  16. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Probably just a bump-cap so they don't bang their heads on anything while climbing. A head injury while climbing like that could be deadly.
  17. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,571 Messages
    931 Likes Received
    I was fine as long as he was climbing in the cage part, but after that, ... WOW !
  18. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This guy a Cowboys fan looking for a high enough spot to drop Barron from? Semi-serious question.
  19. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,222 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    I consider myself a pretty stable guy, not afraid of heights etc, but my palms are sweating after watching about 2 minutes of that video...
  20. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,796 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    I guess I get the tiring part but time consuming shouldn't even factor in with something like that.

People working from that high should be far more safe then what they have them doing and the fact that 'time' is part of their issue in why they let them climb that high without far more safety is more than a little concerning.

Someones life>time consuming

I would think there is a huge difference between people choosing to sky dive (believing that you've got a pack that will work and you'll safely land on the ground) and someone falling from a spot like that knowing that they're going to die.