1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I love the Undrafted Free Agent signings

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Muhast, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    Alright here me out, we've mocked and mocked and mocked. We've discussed the first,second,third,fourth,fifth,sixth,seventh and even trade possibilities. Lets look past the draft...

Maybe it's just me, but I almost enjoy the Undrafted Free Agent signing more than the draft itself. I think it is because I don't have to wait for the cowboys "turn". We can just pin our ears back, and there is little to no negotiations. The news starts flying in, and we all circle 8-10 players and cross our fingers.

I remember Mark Herzlich, Deunta Williams, Burton(CB from UNC), and a few other "prized" guys last year.

I don't know why, but I am almost more excited about that then the actual draft. I know that usually they don't pan out, but it's so much fun guessing who the next Romo/Austin/Victor Cruz(sigh) will be.

So does anybody have any bold predictions on who may be there? Will a guy like Vontaze Burfict who was widely thought to be a 1st or 2nd round pick at point, now go undrafted? Does a Kellen Moore go undrafted due to his size and average arm strength?What about a Donte Paige Moss from UNC? Who do you think will be the top guy available, and what will make them go undrafted?
  2. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    And Mark Herzlich turned out to be a dang gone ball player too :banghead:

Hos was on the money with that one.

I tell you what, if Donta Paige-Moss goes undrafted, we should pounce pounce pounce. UDFA is absolutely no bust factor, but Paige-Moss has HUGE boom.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,779 Messages
    10,082 Likes Received
    I love the UDFA period too but until I see what's available it's hard to talk much about it.

But immediately after the draft I'll have 10-15 names I'll be hoping for.
  4. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    I agree very exciting time.
  5. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,886 Messages
    249 Likes Received
    Maybe Aaron Corp, Matt Daniels and T.J. Graham.

(I'd be happy if we drafted the first two.)
  6. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received

haha I know, I always have a list of guys that I am crossing my fingers that we sign right away.

But part of the fun is being bold and saying who, despite good measurables or game tape, won't get drafted.
  7. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,359 Messages
    586 Likes Received
    After seeing Romo & Austin blossom, you'd cant sleep on UDFA's if you're a Cowboys fan.
  8. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,822 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    some possible UDFAs I am interested in:

OFFENSE
    QB Chandler Harnish
    QB Case Keenum
    FB Cody Johnson
    RB Fozzy Whittaker
    WR Chris Forcier
    TE Brian Linthicum
    TE Josh Chichester
    OL David Snow
    OL Don Barclay

DEFENSE
    DE Ryan Van Bergen
    DT Ishmaa'ily Kitchen
    DT Armond Armstead
    ILB Ronnie Thornton
    OLB Donte Paige-Moss
    CB Buddy Jackson
    FS Tramain Thomas
    FS Neiko Thorpe
    SS Christian Scott
  9. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,291 Messages
    243 Likes Received
  10. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    Nice list. I think Neiko gets drafted in the 6th or so. 6'3 safety who played CB at point, and played in the SEC. I think somebody grabs him. If not, I'd be ecstatic to sign him.
  11. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
  12. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,700 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    i think part of the fun of the UDFA process is that there isn't one source that is giving you the names....you actually have to look around and beat the internet bushes so to speak to find out the signings early on. Sure...2-3 days later you will know all their names, but it is very exciting to hope we can get "x" player after the draft, scour the sites and hear rumors and then wait for that confirmation that we did in fact get the guy.
  13. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,291 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    Not a big deal. It wasn't a very long thread, but I thought I'd link to it since I posted in that thread.
  14. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    There was a player from Wyoming, a WR I think. He was a hoax. It was some dirty sexual innuendo and nobody verified it, and appeared on tons of websites lol.
  15. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Well-Known Member

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Gimme Kellen Moore, Drew Brees v2
  16. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received

I think Drew Brees is bigger than Kellen and has a stronger arm. Kellen looked like a high school player with the rest of the Senior bowl QBs. He reminds me a lot more of Chase Daniel than Drew Brees.
  17. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Well-Known Member

819 Messages
    323 Likes Received
    I'd spend our 7th on Keenum just to make sure we got him. Nice list also.

My priority guys would be:

OL: Markus Zusevics, Iowa // Derrick Dennis, Temple
    RB: Bobby Rainey, W Kentucky
    WR: Dale Moss, S Dakota St // Patrick Edwards, Houston
    DE: Matt Conrath, Virginia
    LB: Sammy Brown, Houston // Scott Solomon, Rice

If Janzen Jackson (FS/CB) or Cliff Harris (CB/PR) go undrafted, they'd be prime targets as well. At that point, I'm fine with bringing in a knucklehead or two.
  18. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,691 Messages
    1,498 Likes Received
    Albion cornerback Chris Greenwood – 6-1, 189 and likely headed to safety at the next level. He may have jumped up to fifth round with Pro Day showing last month (4.34 40, vertical jump of 43 inches and a broad jump of 11-foot-2.)
  19. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,700 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    Oh yeah, I remember that....it was hilarious. Forget the name but it was great!
  20. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What, only four Longhorns?? I'm ashamed of you, turn in your Horns...

Unless, of course, the middle rounds of your draft feature Keenan Robinson, Kheeston Randall and Emmanuel Acho... :D