1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I may be in the minority but...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I am not thrilled with the draft being spread out over three days. I would have preferred it to go back to the Saturday and Sunday format. We used to have guys get together for a full day on Saturday and BBQ, have some drinks and just bust each others stones over how lousy their team is doing. Now, because the first round is on a Thursday night, some of us travel and some of us just can't get away in time for the evening.

I don't know, maybe I just resist change too much.

Oh well, it is today's NFL.
  2. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,219 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    It's all about ratings.

Should be Friday and Sat. 1/2 then 3-7.
  3. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,998 Messages
    1,279 Likes Received
    I agree on savoring the experience more. But pregame buffet is still an enticement...that has grown through tailgating experiences. Some wickedly great menus hit the parking lots now.
  4. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull Active Member

1,433 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Couldn't agree more. Its all about money.

I wanted the NFL to keep the old weekend schedule but take the draft on the road. L.A., Chicago, or maybe have it in the city with the first pick and drop the NFL Experience into the mix starting a few days prior.

This schedule broke-up a decade long tradition of me travelling to San Diego to watch the draft with two friends. The good news is, my 12-year-old is hooked and he's a fine draft partner.
  5. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Phenomenal idea. Which means it stands no chance of happening. :(
  6. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,897 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Yeah, I liked the weekend foremat better, too. It was like a mini-holiday.
  7. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Well-Known Member

770 Messages
    314 Likes Received
    I don't like it spread out over so many days either, more is not always better. It probably works better for teams to hammer out draft time deals, but I prefer the flow of having it over just a couple of days.
  8. jmac

jmac Member

206 Messages
    0 Likes Received

No you are not in the minority, my brother and I were just talking about this. We miss the all day Saturday experience of good food and cold beers. Some say it was boring, but what else do you have to do on a Saturday Afternoon. I understand they did it for ratings, but beyond that personally I miss the old format.
  9. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,543 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    I liked the old format and was initially opposed to the change. But now, I guess I really don't care which way they do it.
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,692 Messages
    1,121 Likes Received
    I like having a break. When it was the weekend I would be frazzled by the end of it.
  11. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,343 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    I agree, 3 days is too spread out.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,534 Messages
    8,484 Likes Received
    They've bounced around the idea of moving the draft location before. Maybe having it at the site of the first pick. They could end up doing that, but I prefer tradition and keeping it in NYC.
  13. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull Active Member

1,433 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What's worse, "primetime" doesn't work in West time zones. The NFL will play games in England and Mexico to broaden global appeal, then schedule the first round of the draft when a quarter of their US fans are still driving home from work.
  14. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,534 Messages
    8,484 Likes Received
    Exactly right. That's why all that talk by the commish about it being more fan friendly was bull. What the heck is fan friendly about the west coast fans having a 5pm start time on Thursday and 4pm on Friday? Or the east coast fans having to stay up past 11pm for the first round and get up for work Friday morning?

It's a money grab and nothing more. It wasn't done to create interest. The NFL Draft became a must see event under the old schedule.
  15. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hate they way they are doing it now. I liked it on Saturday and Sundays. but they will do whatever they think makes them the most cash