1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I need some honest opinions on Gun Control

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Temo, Jul 27, 2009.

1. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    why digress? we finally agree!

except this isn't why i bought my guns. i don't wanna charge into any battle. but if *crap happens* and the world plunges into chaos, waving a steak knife at someone breaking into my house likely won't even make them giggle at me as they unload their fully automatic weapons on me.

now, the world is different now too - let's not just look one way but let's use the sheer power of our ability to adhere to yet adjust the constitution to work in todays world vs. just say "doesn't apply".

and that's what can be very cool about the forum. people who disagree but with respect and a good zombie reference.

but maybe i missed it, i've still yet to see what we need to address that the current laws don't. what do people want to "ban" per se?

assault rifle is too generic.
    folding stock - outlaw that? there goes a lot of horrible .22's.

what do we need we don't already have? outside of a clear defination of what an "assault rifle" is?
  2. iceberg

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    and the very point i made to start my dive into this thread and have asked several times.

no one can answer that but something must be done. however, to me w/o the defination of what you're out to accomplish, nothing will ever change, not even the arguing.
  3. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,822 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Similarly, it's quite compelling to cling to the ideal that we can make tyrants, despots, and even violence obsolete by simply working to create a society in which guns are no longer necessary. After all, guns are the source of all evil in the world. They and they alone prevent us from building the Leftist utopia envisioned by intellectual giants such as Michael Moore and Babs Streisand.

But I digress.

I imagine it's very fulfilling and emotionally gratifying for one to believe that he would die rather than live in society so degraded that guns are absolutely necessary. However, the harsh truth is that, when presented with such a situation, the primary goal will always be survival, not some unrealistic ideal.
  4. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    At the bottom you said you were tired. Maybe you just don't realize how tired.

No matter how you spin it, you are the one who introduced the idea of the Military turning on the people and that being why we say we need assault weapons.
  5. Hostile

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    That wasn't the justification though. That is part of the Amendments to the Constitution because they were coming from governments who wouldn't allow an armed populace so that they could control them.
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,857 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    Ok. It seems somewhat important to you that you be right on this, so you can have it. I'm not sure exactly what I'm spinning, but clear I spun it. yJust write up the confession, I'll sign on the X. At some point in that quote (perhaps in the large bolded, red part?) I said the military was coming to kill you.
  7. Hostile

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    Mostly my head. Gonna cause me to throw up if you aren't careful.
  8. iceberg

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    let me ask you this in reverse.

where did ANYONE say we needed the ar15's to stop our military from attacking the private citizen.

seems to me *you* put that scenario in play. not anyone arguing for the rifle.
  9. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,714 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I own an assault rifle and I stopped a thief that broke into my car with it, it worked quite nicely, the gun was not even loaded but the mere sight of it was enough to make the perp surrender and lay down on my drive way.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,442 Messages
    3,711 Likes Received
    You could have just as easily used Conans huge melon head to frighten off the crook.;)
  11. Hostile

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    I heard something one night and looked out my window. There was a guy outside looking in my truck. It just so happened I had my compound bow out. I went outside and snuck up behind him and said, "when you take off running, you better be zig zagging." His knees buckled.

Your story and mine display something I am trying to get across. Thieves are cowards. They do not like to face someone who may be armed. It's like having a dog. They don't want to deal with the dog. If thieves know no one is armed any more and they don't see or hear a dog, they are going to be braver about breaking into your house. It still happens even though people do own guns, but they are more cautious.

The article I posted mentioned arming teachers. I personally don't think there are many who would arm themselves, but the mere threat of one might make these psychopaths choose somewhere other than schools. Hell, give every school two armed police officers. Anything to make these guys think about taking their rampage somewhere else. They choose schools because the targets are like fish in a barrel.

People don't like to admit there are purposes to guns and one of them sadly is self preservation. Some people think the only two avenues of survival are run and hide. That leaves behind too many targets for the animal. I would prefer to try and stop him. Even if it means I die.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    All too many people and society as a whole have gotten soft and weak. All too many are ready to lay down and let anyone walk all over them. They defend this by saying violence of any kind is wrong; and that fighting back does no good anyway. They make me puke.
  13. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd love to see the Dems try to reenact the assault weapons ban - it'd lead to 1994 all over again and get most of them kicked out of office quicker than you can say 'Nancy Pelosi'.
  14. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You and I know this is no coincidence.
    It's been done by design...the wussification of America.
  15. BigDFan5

BigDFan5 In Tebow I Trust

14,909 Messages
    14 Likes Received

Thats my next gun Springfield XD .45 cal

At the risk at exposing myself as a gun nut here is my collection

My carry weapon is a Taurus 24/7 Pro compact .40 cal

Rossi .357 2" Barrel

Bersa Thunder 9mm

Glock 22 .40 cal

Springfield 1911 stainkess .45

Smith and Wesson 686

DPMS AR-15

SKS Chinese assault rifle

and 6 various shotguns (2 auto) 4 pump
  16. iceberg

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    heh - cool. good to know i'm not going overboard. : )
  17. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,303 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Weren't those on the flight really just choosing how they would die, like those that jumped out of the World Trade Center? They knew they were going to die anyway given they weren't normal highjackings and they knew about the other suicide crashes?
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    They had a shot at regaining control of the plane so your arguement as usual is weak. With a little luck they might have done it. As the saying goes better to die on your feet then live on your knees. IT did not work out but I doubt that they would have just sat there even if they knew the end result.
  19. iceberg

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    can you stop pressing one point and admit that it's also possible they were trying to save their own lives as well, NOT choosing how to die?
  20. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,303 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    how exactly was I pressing "one point" when I wrote it only once is beyond me but since you demanded I stop, I will "press" it even more.

since none of them could fly a jumbo jet, I think it is obvious they were just not going to let the plane be flown into anything, in effect sacrificing their lives for others but still they knew they were going to die.

those that jumped off the 100th floor for example were not trying to save their lives because no sane person would think they were going to survive. they took control of their situation and decided how they were going to die, nothing wrong with that in the least.