1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I need some slow cooking ideas/recipes...

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Dallas, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I have made Chili and Beef Stew the past few weekends. Both of Wimbos/lanes and Meat-O-Ramas recipes. All excellent btw. The family LOVED them.

Now I need to deliver another knock out. Ideas and or recipes would be GREAT. I know I can do this all on Google but I prefer to come here and ask our sites meilleurs cuisiniers jamais.
  2. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    If you want to make some nice barbeque that is incredibly easy, get a pork tenderloin and put it in the pot with a can/bottle of root beer and any other seasonings you like. Cook it on low for 8h and it falls apart.
  3. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Heyy girlll

Its funny you said pork. My staff and I were just standing here discussing me cooking up some kahlua pork.

That however is a pretty lengthy process from what I have researched. Still sounds amazing.

I might give yours a go. It sounds great and pretty easy to get together in the cooker.

Thanks for posting your idea :p:
  4. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    You might think the root beer would make it really sweet, but it doesn't. Just keeps it really moist.

Post the recipe for the Kahlua pork, though. I like trying new things!
  5. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I found an easier Kahlua pork recipe. This one is a really long cooking time however.

Ingredients
    • 1 (6 pound) pork butt roast
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt
    • 1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring
    Directions

1. Pierce pork all over with a carving fork. Rub salt then liquid smoke over meat. Place roast in a slow cooker.
    2. Cover, and cook on Low for 16 to 20 hours, turning once during cooking time.
    3. Remove meat from slow cooker, and shred, adding drippings as needed to moisten.

** I would also like to add that I put a small amount of steeped seasoned cabbage in w/ my kahlua pork right before serving. Awesome taste and subtle crunch. YUMM!!! **
  6. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Glad you liked my chili.
    Here is an easy crock pot recipe that we default to a lot when we can't think of anything else to make. Super easy and very good, if you like spicy/cheesy food. You can scale it to your family size.

Ingredients:
    4 Boneless Skinless chicken breasts
    1 can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilis
    1 packet taco seasoning mix
    1 packet Ranch dip/dressing seasoning mix
    1 Tbsp dehydrated onion flakes (or use about 1/2 cup diced onion)
    8 oz bag of shredded cheddar cheese, or mexican cheese blend... whatever you like.
    Enough cooked rice for the number of people you are feeding.

Put 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts in the bottom of your crock pot (trim fat and connective tissue away first).
    In a small bowl, combine the contents of one packet of taco seasoning and one package of ranch dressing mix.
    Combine about 2 Tablespoons of the mixed seasonings with 1 can of Rotel and the onion, then dump it over the chicken in the crock pot.
    Put the cover on, Set the Crock Pot to Low and let it slow cook until the chicken is done & ultra tender - about 8 hours.
    When chicken is done, open the crock pot and dump cheese on top.
    Cover for about 5 minutes to let the cheese melt.
    Serve over rice.
  7. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This sounds fantastic. :eek:

You enjoy cooking huh Wimbo? I personally have just discovered my passion for cooking over the past year. I love to cook now and am constantly looking for personal recipe favories of others. I def will be giving this a go this weekend or next.

I love our Off Topic Zone. Its so much more chill here for the most part.

Thank you again for sharing your secrrets Wimbo and Fearluna. Very much appreciated.
  8. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,251 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Shredded Beef Tacos:

I don't have a recipe for this one, but it's so damn easy it doesn't need it.

• 2-3lb beef roast. You want nice lean meat for the tacos, but you still need some fat for flavor/juice. Try to find one with a nice fat cap you can remove just prior to shredding.
    • 2 yellow onions, more or less to taste
    • Green Chilies. I use canned for this, you can roast some up fresh, or use canned. your Call.
    Dead Simple version:
    Put the roast in the slow cooker, followed by onions and green chilies. Season with some salt and pepper (I like to add ground cumin too, that's optional). Cook on low "until it's done". With my (cheap) slow cooker I've found you can set it and forget it for the day. Make it, go to work, come home and it's done and waiting. When it's done, remove any large chunks of fat. Use a pair of forks to shred the beef and mix the chilies and onions in. Serve with tortillas or taco shells, some good salsa and whatever sides you like.

Simple but a little more cleanup version:
    I like to season the meat with salt, pepper and cumin then brown it on all sides in a cast iron skillet before putting it into the slow cooker. I also like to saute my onions before adding. Other than that, everything is the same.

You can substitute pork roast or even frozen chicken breasts, but the chicken dries out a lot more easily.
  9. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received

Looks good. You can make easy BBQ for sandwiches this way, too. Obviously, the real thing is better... but for no-fuss BBQ sandwiches, do the same thing you described, except remove the beef from the pot & shread with forks. then start adding your favorite BBQ sauce to get the consistency you like. Clean out the pot, then add the bbq beef back in to warm. serve on your favorite bun.
  10. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :laugh2: This thread is terrible for my hunger pains atm. I am going to lunch.

Thanks for participating Meat-O-Rama.

More the better. Excellent taco approach. Much better than my boring skillet ground beef approach.

Speaking of skillets.

I ordered 7 new cast iron seasoned skillets from Amazon yesterday (free delivery to Alaska - no lie haha). The chicken fried steak thread got me to thinking....

"I don't have any cast-iron skillets" :laugh2:
  11. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,001 Messages
    2,226 Likes Received
    Do you like Indian food?
  12. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bingo.
  13. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Love Indian food. More curry the better. That is if its ok w/ our southern friends here. :)

Friends of mine have a fantastic shrimp curry they make. They also make an excellent chicken curry.

Currys are awesome and spicy. More spicy the better. :)

bring it!
  14. Meat-O-Rama

2,251 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

Just as easy as the shredded tacos.

• 2-3lb pork roast. Just like with the beef you want nice lean meat for the shredded pork, but you still need some fat for flavor/juice. Try to find one with a nice fat cap you can remove just prior to shredding.
    • 2 yellow onions (optional, I like the flavor and moisture they provide)
    • Your favorite BBQ sauce

Dead Simple version:
    Put the roast in the slow cooker, followed by (optional) onions. Season with some salt and pepper and garlic powder. Cook on low "until it's done". With my (cheap) slow cooker I've found you can set it and forget it for the day. Make it, go to work, come home and it's done and waiting. When it's done, remove any large chunks of fat. Use a pair of forks to shred the pork. Once the pork is shredded, mix in the BBQ sauce. I also like to mix in some plain yellow mustard with the BBQ sauce. Serve on rolls with cole slaw and tater tots. I like a little heat, so I'll splash some red rooster or frank's red hot on it as I'm eating.

Simple but a little more cleanup version:
    I like to season the meat with salt, pepper and garlic and onion powder then brown it on all sides in a cast iron skillet before putting it into the slow cooker. I also like to saute my onions before adding. Other than that, everything is the same.

You can substitute a beef roast or even brisket for this one (cooking time will be longer)
  15. Meat-O-Rama

2,251 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Lodge cast iron I hope? Every man needs to have a good collection of Lodge cast iron. I've got a skillet, a deep skillet and a dutch oven.
  16. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thats all your supposed to buy Im told.

Yes, I only purchased Lodge. Lodge was actually on How its Made one time. I got to see and said...

Those the skillets/pots for me.

Also always buy pre-seasoned they say. It saves you a lot of work to season them in properly w/ oil n stuff.

I got a 8 inch deep skillet for frying. I was told that was key to get one of those.

Makes sense w/ all of the fresh halibut I love to fry and eat. :)
  17. LeeSuh

LeeSuh New Member

13 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Can't go wrong with a good slow cooked pot roast!

Ingredients

• 1 onion, sliced
    • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1 (2 1/2 pound) boneless beef chuck roast
    • 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
    • 1 (1.2 ounce) package dry beef gravy mix
    • 1 (1 ounce) package ranch dressing mix
    • 1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
    • 1/2 cup water, or as needed
    • 5 whole peeled carrots (optional)

Directions

1. Spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Spread the onion slices out into the bottom of the cooker.
    2. Spread the flour out onto a work surface. Sprinkle the chuck roast with salt and black pepper, and roll the roast in the flour to coat all sides. Using the edge of a small, sturdy plate, pound the flour into the meat. Place the floured roast into the cooker on top of the onions. Whisk together beef gravy mix, ranch dressing mix, and Italian dressing mix in a bowl, and whisk the mixes with water until smooth. Pour over the chuck roast. Distribute carrots around the meat.
    3. Cover the cooker, set to Low, and cook until the roast is tender and the gravy has thickened, about 8 hours.
    This is a close recipe to what I do...over after 4 hours I add peeled potatoes to it...
  18. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,001 Messages
    2,226 Likes Received
    My wife and I have been experimenting with a few slow cooked Indian recipes. Thus far, my two favorites are chicken curry and lentils. I'll try to post them later today.
  19. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    [IMG]

thank you
  20. Chinfu

Chinfu Member

195 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ingredients

1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
    3 pounds pork shoulder or roast (whatever is on sale)
    1 (18 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce

Directions

1. Pour can of beef broth into slow cooker, and add boneless pork ribs. Cook on High heat for 4 hours, or until meat shreds easily. Remove meat, and shred with two forks.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Transfer the shredded pork to a Dutch oven or iron skillet, and stir in barbeque sauce.

3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until heated through.

Warning: Do not over cook or the pork turns to mush. Follow the directions and you will have tender pork that still has texture.

I make a ton of stuff in the crock pot but this is by far my favorite and super easy. I'm actually going to make this Saturday.