1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Featured I Really Like What I'm Seeing (long)

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by AsthmaField, Sep 25, 2013.

1. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,495 Messages
    1,507 Likes Received
    And the beauty of it all is....it's happening right in the faces of the football-stupid Garrett and Romo detractors.
    Vtwin and brymatt94 like this.
  2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,088 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    I do wish there was a focus on finding two things that both your offense and defense do VERY well from an execution standpoint, and just stick to it.
  3. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,120 Messages
    1,381 Likes Received
    Thanks guys.

I do feel very good about the direction of the franchise for the last 2 or 3 years, but found it very difficult to put into words.

For me, this isn't about the win against the Rams as much as it was the loss against the Chiefs. In that extremely difficult place to play in a difficult situation, the team was composed and held itself together very well. It was a tell-tale sign that the team is being run very well.

In the near future, IMO, we will be pulling those kinds of games off and winning.
  4. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,120 Messages
    1,381 Likes Received
    It's a shame you didn't get to see the transformation from 1-15 laughingstock in 1989 to back-to-back superbowl dynasty in 1992-93. It was something to behold for Cowboy fans.

Emmitt was the driving force for the whole thing. He made the offense go and almost impossible to stop. Charles Haley was the final piece on defense and really the whole team. Once he came on board, there was no stopping them.
  5. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,845 Messages
    3,853 Likes Received
    i wish...i wish i could have seen it.

[IMG]
  6. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,583 Messages
    426 Likes Received
    What I really want to see is a lot less less end of game clock management by Garrett. When you're ahead 31-7 in the 4th, clock management doesn't matter.
    CowboyMcCoy likes this.
  7. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

1,599 Messages
    659 Likes Received
    This team is different. Even when they were short handed on defense last year we had players stepping up. It wasn't until the 4th qtr in week 17 when Washington pulled away with a w. A playoff team barely competed with our thrown together bunch. This speaks volumes to me. Our players fight to the end and in the end that's the team that achieves the ultimate prize.
    Carharris2 likes this.
  8. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,120 Messages
    1,381 Likes Received
    Yeah, that stood out to me as well. There is no quit in this team, and that isn't something that could be said for a long, long time.

When you have a team that is getting few penalties, making few mistakes, and now getting some turnovers... plus they don't quit... well, that can take you a long way indeed.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I am glad you said that and not me, so that my agreeing with you doesn't make me the bad guy. Oh hell, it probably will anyway. I don't care. The OP was dead on ball's accurate. It's a technical term.
    Heelsboy, Shatz88 and ware1manarmy like this.
  10. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,322 Messages
    528 Likes Received

Great read. Dang near brought a tear to my eye in those last couple of paragraphs. Seriously!
  11. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,520 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    agree this team is different in the ways you outlined, what makes me hesitate to get just too high on it yet is the KC game.......and the inability of the team as a whole to be able to adapt and attack what the KC defense was doing.........it was just as frustrating to watch Romo looking at the playbook for answers then as it was the last Skins game last year............but then again I was just as surprised to not see Jeff Fischer make chess moves either in his schemes.

I see them beating SD and it'll go down to the end with Denver--final swing on a turnover.
  12. AZ_Cowboys_Fan

AZ_Cowboys_Fan Member

516 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Fantastic post. Thanks for putting in the effort to write all of that. I agree that we're headed in the right direction and I never bought into the mainstream media that jumped to conclusions after we missed the playoffs again last year.

13. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

1,962 Messages
    547 Likes Received
    This. I'm not ready to buy in yet. We did the same thing last year. Although the Seahawks game we looked terrible and then the Bucs win we looked just as bad, just played a lesser opponent. We haven't looked terrible yet and the Rams game was probably the most complete game I've seen us play in a few years.

This San Diego game will tell us a lot.
  14. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,884 Messages
    1,111 Likes Received
    No way I'm jumping on any optimistic bandwagon after seeing the same show over and over and over. String 4 or 5 wins in a row and you have my attention. I'm sure this same thread was made last year and the 5 years prior. Not trying to be negative but if I overly praise this team after beating a bad rams team, and they go on to lose the next Two,Then once again I we will look foolish.
    Zordon and Lonestar94 like this.
  15. the playmaker

the playmaker Member

178 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I agree 100%....great post!!!!!!!!

I want some opinions(I'm a long time a Cowboys fan from Landry era to JG):
    The next step will be a (hi) selection of a QB next year to push Romo?(I say yes!!!)

4 rookie from the 2013 class are in "the mix" or starters as Fred and JJ Wilcox :)

I will wait untill the bye week! but I agree

JG is not totaly with JJ philosophy...but I'm sure, JG changed Joneses mind and the risult will be better(draft and team managment). JG wanted the playcalling duties but JJ gives to Callahan( don't like the decision and how that happen). I think that JG don't want that type of contract extension for Romo but JJ... I'm warried because JJ has made the same mistakes with Jimmy Johnson(I was a very big fan of Jimmy)
  16. kramskoi

kramskoi Well-Known Member

1,315 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    Well the jury is out for me. These guys have showed that they cannot be trusted to handle success in the past. One can still hope that the past isn't prologue, but like Parcell's "hearse" comment many years ago, I'm not ready to ride yet. I am more excited about what Rushmen the Kiffinelli project can procure through next year's draft.
  17. brymatt94

brymatt94 Active Member

409 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    Want a Pulitzer, OP? Awesome awesome post.
  18. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,120 Messages
    1,381 Likes Received
    Not by me it wasn't.

I don't blame you or anyone else for wanting to see more wins before you say things have really changed. However, I really do see a lot of differences. The wins look different, and so do the losses. How they're churning the roster is different. The drafts look different.

How the team held up in such a hostile environment as Arrowhead stadium says a lot in and of itself.

Anyway, I understand if some fans want to hold back. I do. Just having been such a longtime football fan, I've seen this look before... and it is always a solid team that has it.
    Carharris2 likes this.
  19. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,052 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    Dude! That was one of the finest posts that I have read on this forum, period! I applaud you for this post.

The Cowboys may or not achieve their goal this season, but they sure as hell look like they are on their way to becoming a team similar to what Garrett was on and what he wants this team to do.

Good job, my friend, damn good job!
  20. CowboyFan4Eva

CowboyFan4Eva Active Member

561 Messages
    227 Likes Received

I was thinking the same thing. Draft a QB now....and let him develop for a Few years like the packers did.......very smart. Yes, it takes away from other areas.....but if you don't have a QB, you don't have much....,and they aren't easy to find......go get one now!

And response to another post: Its hard to jump on the bandwagon......this team has let me down for the last 15 years and just when I think were turning the corner,,,,,,they let me down again......and again.......and yet again.....so, yeah.......i get it.

But. , because of the reasons outlined by the OP in a great great post......im jumping .....im a believer..... That isn't an easy thing for me........I'm a pessimist by nature...but....i really really like what i see.......and I don't see it changing, i see us getting stronger ..,,,,we have an easy division , it seems like. Win a few outside the division, then beat up on the division, Struggle through some adversity and injuries which are sure to pop up......and.......i think we could be there......right there in the playoffs , in the mix....playing tough,,,.....with a......,,,,,,.chance!!!!!

That's exciting to me......