1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I see the Eagles are still treating their players right

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Gryphon, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Merge Ahead

3,389 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Eagles reportedly have not tried to sign Donte’ Stallworth to a long-term extension because they want him to prove he can stay healthy.

Stallworth has caught 27 passes in the six full games he’s played this season. Locking Stallworth up is still considered a must for Philadelphia, as the team has no strong replacement if he leaves after the season.
    Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News
  2. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,176 Messages
    4,440 Likes Received
    This isn't callous.

This is smart. Stallworth has had the same track record this year as he has every other.

Just because he just had a big game is no reason to sign him to an extension.

Nevermind.

Please. Jeff Lurie, please sign Donte. He will be a great player for you for years to come.
  3. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,521 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    :hammer:

If we started handing out long term contract to players that have an injury history, Cowboys fans would be a little upset.

It's a risk. Plus, Stallworth isn't a complete WR. He runs 1 or 2 routes well, and the others he's very unreliable.
  4. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,838 Messages
    519 Likes Received

Which is why I wasn't all that concerned when they traded for him in the first place.

Payton has learned from Bill - get rid of the guys always in the tub.
  5. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,112 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    This just in.....

Donte was overheard saying.... "I wasnt the one who got tired... sick...."

nevermind LOL
  6. Rampage

Rampage Benched

24,117 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    does that remind you of a certain somebody?
  7. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,428 Messages
    766 Likes Received
    Are you trying to say he will be a Cowboy next season? :p:
  8. ka0tik

ka0tik DALLAS

2,848 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    b4 that, he has to call his QB gay..:laugh1:
  9. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received

They make it sound like it would be impossible to replace him. He's a good player when healthy and they DEFINITELY needed some kind of number 1 receiving threat, but there will probably be other guys they can sign in the offseason. It's not like some (smart) team is going to swoop in and offer him a $25 million signing bonus as soon as he comes available.
  10. EastDallasCowboy

EastDallasCowboy New Member

940 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I dunno, Jason Campbell might need more targets to bounce the ball to.

But if they can't give up a first day draft pick, Washington probably isn't interested.
  11. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well I think they will be focused on paying as much as possible for backup defensive linmen, as they're pretty set at WR and safety:D
  12. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,986 Messages
    3,193 Likes Received
    Hate the eagles as much as anyone but they do seem to know when to sign a player and when to let them go.

The lone exception was TO.

But most of the time if they worry about injuries or age and let a player go it is rare for that player to go onto another team and do well.
  13. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,112 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    LMAO.... Donte just signed on with a publishing house.... Book title "TO..................................was right"

:lmao2:
  14. HTownCowboysFan

HTownCowboysFan New Member

1,912 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My thoughts exactly. Nothing dumb about that move. I hate 'em, but they are a well run outfit.
  15. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,149 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    that never wins when it counts ;)
  16. SA_Gunslinger

SA_Gunslinger Official CZ Ea-girls hater

4,787 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    it may be smart for the team, but from a veteran player standpoint, i continue to wonder why any EVER go to the ea-girls, b/c they end up suffering in the end.
  17. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,340 Messages
    841 Likes Received
    I would say dive in there and scoop him uip. I wanted him when I heard New Orleans was through with him.

Stallworth - Crayton - Hurd sounds right to me.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    remember how long it took them to finally give Westbrook a good deal? After they slobbered all over McFlabb? I don't think anyone on the eagles are under any illusion any more. Outside of the untouchable McFlabb, everyone else will suck the hind tit.
  19. TheSkaven

TheSkaven Last Man Standing

4,070 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Owens is the obvious one, but what about.. Derrick Burgess (10 sacks this year, 16 last year now with the Raiders) .. Hollis Thomas (a major force in the middle for the Saints this year) .. I could probably name a dozen mistakes in the past 5 years that they made.

Also, don't underestimate the loss of guys like Ike Reese (Falcons) who were major contributors on special teams.

Every year, the Eagles win the award for being furthest under the cap, which is clearly more important to them then winning championships.

Regarding Stallworth, they will let him test the market and undoubtedly some bonehead team will pay him far too much money.
  20. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,159 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I cannot really blame the beagles for this decision......