1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I think this game will show if things are changing for this team

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Plumfool, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Plumfool

Plumfool Active Member

767 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    I think the Cowboys were just a bad matchup for the Eagles in 2009. That team didnt have fight.
  2. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,361 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    weren't they missing all of those guys in the first game?
  3. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

623 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Yes this is exactly the case. Watching other games throughout the season(Denver, Seattle, SF) for example, these teams are consistent and rarely make mistakes. The addage that "you are what your record is" comes into play here. We have a pretty good team but we really don't know who is going to show up each Sunday. These other "better" teams are consistent and confident in all 3 phases throughout the whole game. They know their assigments and play solid team ball. Call it better talent or better coaching; they are just consistently better (esp in the trenches) than us.
    I think the foreskins are alot like us in that respect so we'll give them a good game but playing the upper level talent (home or away) will tell the tale of how good we really are.
  4. Wayne02

Wayne02 Well-Known Member

2,262 Messages
    605 Likes Received
    Yes they were, but those guys are still huge parts from their team. Injuries are no excuse for either team because both teams have them.
  5. Staxxxx

Staxxxx Member

286 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I have no idea what you could possibly be looking for in this game that hasn't already been on display the last 7 weeks. This is an undermanned team whose backs have been up against the wall since they were 3-5. This team may be short on talent right now but they're certainly not short on heart.
  6. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Well-Known Member

761 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    Being ready from the opening kickoff would be a welcome change for this team this year. For the most part, they have looked flat, unprepared and uninspired in the first half of games and that cost the team big against the Skins in their first meeting.

Hopefully JG gets rid of his usual early game plan of plodding, conservative, predictable play calling and tempo and instead play to the strengths of Romo and this offense. I would like to see him mix in some no-huddle early in the game, I'm not saying to use it exclusively, but mix it up. There is no denying our results using the no-huddle, but don't wait until we HAVE to use it. It will help keep their def. guessing and off balance and hopefully give our unit a spark, confidence early in the game and most importantly early points.

As banged up as our defense is, we obviously can't use it exclusively, since too many 3 and outs will tire our already weakened defense. If we can actually get early points, it will help our defense and help force the Skins to have to score.
  7. Plumfool

Plumfool Active Member

767 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    Simple it's a win or go home game. Past teams in this scenerio gave very little effort and frankly looked ill prepared. What I'm looking for is a team that doesn't play scared in this game.
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,886 Messages
    2,138 Likes Received
    I think the last 4 weeks have been huge games for Dallas.
    I don't see any quit in this team. They may lose, but it won't be due a lack of effort.
  9. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,856 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    I will gladly admit that I thought they had no shot vs Pitt.

That is just crap.
    Game was theirs for the taking.
    We denied them REPEATEDLY!

I admit I was wrong. Admit they WALKED THE WALK in that one and got the Win.
  10. Fmart322

Fmart322 Active Member

957 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    They are a lot more healthy then us. Were missing a NT, both IMLB's, and S. They love to run and were missing our heart on defense. That's a lot to overcome.
  11. pugilist

pugilist dwarecwby311

2,533 Messages
    607 Likes Received
    agreed. historically (since 2000 anyways) we have not been very good in do or die games, save for 2009 vs. Philly.

if this team can go on a run now, i think things might be taking a turn for the best
  12. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

826 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    Both our starting safeties. Tenard Jackson never made it onto the field this year and is serving a year long suspension. Our 3rd corner Cedric Griffin is serving a 4 game suspension, and another safety De Jon Gomes sprained his MCL on special teams last week. Our secondary aside from Hall and Wilson are guys who are practice squad material on most teams.

On offense we miss Fred Davis, our only real TE threat...other than that we are fairly healthy right now aside from our RT Polumbus who has a concussion and missed the Eagles game...but he's nothing to speak of anyway.

Will be interesting to see how the teams match up next year when both defenses are more healthy.
  13. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    yet the crappy ole Steelers still beat the Redskins 27-12.....
  14. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    I agree 100%. Last year I knew we were walking into an ambush in NY, I do not feel that way this year, so we will see. I don't want to hear about injuries. Green Bay won a superbowl with half their team on IR. Skins are missing Adam Carriker, Brian Orakpo, Tanard Jackson, Brandon Merriweather, Fred Davis.

15. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received

BS......they won a SB with half their spares on IR.....onlly a couple of starters were on that list....

show me the team that has done anything with 7 defensive starters down and an O line like ours ,starting center out all season....RB out half the season....and TE starting season with ruptured spleen
  16. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,540 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    the magnitude of our defensive injuries are in different ballparks

We are without our top two nose tackles. a DE. Both Inside LB's. Nickle corner, and Safety. Sprinkle in that we then lost the backups to those starters in many cases, and this defense is easily the most injured of any in the league this season.

On offense, a completely different story.
  17. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,297 Messages
    846 Likes Received
    Have to agree. I think this is a fair analysis of what will happen as we move on. At some point the injuries will catch up to us and the lines on both sides of the ball will get exposed but...

Not this game. This is going to be close and will be decided by a few crucial plays. And if it comes down to a Bailey field goal - game over!
  18. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,397 Messages
    391 Likes Received
    The guy has been a joke for months. Let him babble. He destroys any modicum of credibility with every key stroke.
  19. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,157 Messages
    1,922 Likes Received

If this game were about fans predictions, then you may have a point. But this is about which team is fundamentally better and executes their game plan at a higher degree, along with better players.

I always marvel at your straw man arguments that are not germane. Did Dallas win games thought to be unwinnable? Yes.

Were the teams they faced inferior to Dallas?

Steelers were, Cinn just dropped passes.

However...

The Redskin offensive line is superior, and something Jerry needs to play close attention to when the game is on.

They can play man-up on our defensive line and get a road grader on the linebacker at the point of attack. Their style is cutback lanes which if blocked correctly will force Dallas to try and tackle with a linebacker who would not start for this team in any fashion were it not for injury. If Dallas was playing Bruce/Lee, this might be an entirely different game. Add Rat and a competent safety instead of the street people and this may be in the favor of Dallas.

Once gouged that play action quarterback option thing they do is what kicked the butt of the defense last time. It will again.

This almost reminds me of the counter trey used by the Redskins back in the days of Theisman and Riggens. Create a seam by starting your line left and bringing the left guard back right to wipe out the linebacker and give Riggo a go with the safeties. He was such a load that he took yards in chunks

One the other side of the ball Dallas will need to find the run game this weekend because if Murray is as unsuccessful as he was in the second half of the Saints game this will get ugly because Romo will be man handled again like last time. The only saving grace in the Turkeyday contest was the fact the Redskins got out to such a large lead they let up. But still when they had to have it to win the game the offense turned it back on.

Now factor in Fedex Field and the foaming at the mouth inbred mouth breathers that follow the racially insensitive team from Washington and this will be a tough day at the office.

Surely any given Sunday and all that. But truth is they are a better team than Dallas, and have advantages all over the field.

This is why it is important for Jerry to understand what he sees and not run off with this foolish idea he can make this offensive line of Dallas into a bunch of studs next year by moving Bernadeau to center and some guy that went undrafted with knee troubles to guard.

I would be more than mildly shocked if Dallas won this game on anything but a Hail Mary fluke play at the end.

If Dallas wins it will be a miraculous performance late by Romo and Dez/Witten. But my feeling is water into wine will not happen Sunday.

No0w if you want to talk about feel good positions, then I guess Xs and Os may be a little out of your wheel house.

Which is the usual for anyone who calls doom and gloom to other fans that use an analytical point of view to assess the game.
  20. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,415 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    Well you certainly do live up to your name. So you think an 8-5 team that went into New Orleans to face the undefeated Saints, with their playoff hopes on the line, and won had no heart? That same team went on the road again the next week to face a division rival and won, then closed out the deal against the Eagles in a winner takes the division finale. Then they won their playoff game the next week. So that team that won four straight critical, late season games with their backs against the wall had no heart?! Plumfool indeed....