1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I thought Miles Austin would take off

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by sportsman, Sep 20, 2013.

1. sportsman

sportsman Member

736 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    With Dez as wr1 side. I really thought Miles would take off. This still may happen.
    What do you think?
  2. brymatt94

brymatt94 Active Member

361 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    Well Miles was the leading receiver v.s the Giants when they were double, and triple covering Dez. Seems like he did his job in that sense.
  3. TonyRomo17

TonyRomo17 Active Member

502 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    its only been 2 games. lets just a couple more games to see how well is miles going to do
    Dorsett33 likes this.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,829 Messages
    962 Likes Received
    I think he is capable we will have to see.
  5. bsheeern

bsheeern Well-Known Member

1,723 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    The key to this lies in
    1. Our running game being more effective.
    2. Terrence Williams & or Dunbar being consistent when the ball comes their way
    3. If # 2 doesn't happen then Hannah or Escobar have to become an option
  6. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,798 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    They just need to get him the ball... I want to see him run more quick slants and posts routes.
    CowboyFan74 and Carharris2 like this.
  7. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,585 Messages
    366 Likes Received
    And the panic/hysteria over Miles has begun......

Next in line, Witten and Sean Lee
    Dorsett33 likes this.
  8. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,747 Messages
    462 Likes Received
    Just put him on the edge again, use beasley or harris in the slot.
    Carharris2, lane and Sampson like this.
  9. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

5,725 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    guys, two games, lords have mercy, its a long road with the shortest games, and lots of time in between to fix things. So far the Oline isnt as horrible as people have proclaimed, dunbar isnt the second coming, and Ware and Lee dont suck, to manys disappoinment. Maybe they play Beasley this week, maybe they dont. Rest assured, if we win, we wont be giving it back and if the Rams win, well, at the end of the day they are still the Rams. Yes we knew there were set backs, yes the first round pick is a bit more justified, no we dont have RB depth, so sorry. But give the coaches some time to fix things. Frankily I think the ST coach is getting better, and I think the Oline is working better. We start there and now see how Wilcox does, at worst you fall back to Allen, but that defense is doing better overall. Enjoy the ride, at the end of the season, hopefully we all still be cowboy fans. Other than that, nothing we can do.
    Dorsett33 likes this.
  10. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,933 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Jerry said something about Beasley's ability to make a few plays today. Maybe that means Cole will be active for the first time this season. I like the idea of playing TW and getting him up to speed, but there should be room for Beasley and Harris to make some plays, too.
  11. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,865 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    I like Miles but he does seem to disappear in games.

He's streaky.

Something I don't care for as much as just a clean production each game.

Mile needs to turn it up for sure.

Either he or Dez has to dominate each game for this team to win.

Otherwise..it means the TEs and RBs will have to cover the lost yardage.
    CowboyFan74 likes this.
  12. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,580 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    We need an offense that at least attempts to make plays further than 5 yards downfield in order for Miles to start getting involved.

All this dink and dunk garbage is getting old real quick.
  13. jobberone

jobberone Orangutan for hire; blues and southern rock Staff Member

33,385 Messages
    1,782 Likes Received
    I certainly hope they find answers to the Chiefs defensive plan against us cause I suspect we'll see it again. I'm not sure why we didn't see more blitz busting plays esp to Miles. One problem is once they got Romo rattled with the blitz all they had to do was show it. Callahan and Romo lost that game IMO.
    CowboyFan74 and Doomsay like this.
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

46,873 Messages
    1,789 Likes Received
    Bingo. Throw the damn ball down the field.
    Doomsday, jobberone and lane like this.
  15. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

4,686 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    As a coach, Part of Andy Reid philosophy is to take away what your QB likes to do. He took away the middle of the field where romo has been the most dangerous. He brought pressure frequently - gave romo the really short stuff and allowed one on one coverage with Dez downfield. Romo made them pay with some passes to Dez. But for the most part romo settled for the short stuff.

The thing is that if not for the 2 turnovers we beat them with patience and the short stuff and FG's. And after the turnovers, we almost beat them with a long pass to Dez on a blitz. So we could have beat them using either of the options that they gave us if players had just executed. Even though it was not a sexy or exciting game plan - it could have been successful.

If Reid had rolled extra coverage to Dez like the giants did Romo probably would have killed them with the slants or seam routes to austin and witten. I think Reid took away the cowboys "high percentage passes" or bread and butter plays and hoped it would be enough to keep it close.
  16. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

22,613 Messages
    349 Likes Received

Dez = Jump Ball

gotta try it
    gotta give him a chance to beat defender
  17. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,040 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    That's the point, when a team is made to sustain long drives to score it's more likely that something will happen (to, penalty, or sack) to prevent that from happening.
  18. jobberone

jobberone Orangutan for hire; blues and southern rock Staff Member

33,385 Messages
    1,782 Likes Received
    Agree we need to throw down field more often and pressure the D.
  19. Carharris2

Carharris2 Active Member

641 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    Yes. I've never understood this. Wasn't his breakout year spent out wide? That's how I remember it.
    tecolote likes this.
  20. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

2,674 Messages
    823 Likes Received
    I feel like this mantra of "turnovers" isn't just for the defense...of course, the defense has been schooled to rip the ball out, and create turnovers, but perhaps the offense has been beaten down by the coaches to PROTECT THE BALL AT ALL COSTS...thus, they don't go down the field...it is a pitiful way to run an offense (playing scared of a turnover) if that is the case...but, the play-calling must get better...teams have blitzed since before I was born (and that is before most of you :D), and offenses have found ways to beat the blitz....find a way Callahan and Tony, find a way