1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I Wanna Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Hostile, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Hostile

Hostile It Has Been Fun Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    It seems pretty obvious to me that what this team needs to push us past this level to the next level is the OL issues resolved. To that end, I would focus on David DeCastro in this draft and would trade up to get him if I had to. Make this team so good on Offense that the Defense can afford the gambles they like to take.

1st round...David DeCastro, OG, Stanford, 6'5", 315.
    Better run and pass blocking puts this Offense on par with the Saints and Packers. This guy makes too much sense not to go after hard.

2nd round...Nick Foles, QB, Arizona, 6'5", 240. If the other top QBs do go back to school, this guy might move into the 1st round. We were eyeing Andy Dalton last year. McGee is not a long term answer once Tony is ready to step aside. Here is our long term answer. Yeah, it's a homer pick for me, but a good one.

3rd round...Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia, 5'10", 185.
    I want him mainly as a Return guy, but CB depth is vital too. I am tired of Kick Returners jogging to the 20. Hit top speed and run.

4th round...Michael Brewster, C, Ohio State, 6'4", 305.
    I think Kowalski was a little better than Costa. I don't think either were good enough.

5th round...Asa Jackson, CB, Cal Poly, 5'10", 188.
    He has speed to burn, we need speed and depth.

6th round...Jerry Franklin, ILB, Arkansas, 6'1", 245.
    With Brooking and James both likely gone we need depth here. One will be a veteran, the other a rookie. This kid makes tackles.

6th round...Comp pick...Cody Johnson, FB, Texas, 5'11", 252.
    Insurance against Chapas not being what we want and Fiammetta being injured.

7th round...Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma, 5'10", 188.
    Will drop because of his injury. Is a perfect choice as a Wes Welker type small guy who is fearless and will make hard catches. Worth waiting a year for if the ACL isn't ready by 2012.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,871 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    Disagree with going after a QB this early; wait a year or so. We need those high picks to fill the other holes. What about a pass rusher?

The rest I like.
  3. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I also don't know if I would go QB this high in this draft. I still think Romo has a good 5 years left in him, so right now might not be the best time to get his replacement. Maybe in 2014 or 2015, but not now.

I would go after an edge rusher or 3-4 DE instead.

2nd round options:
    Derek Wolfe, DE/DT, Cincinnati, 6'5", 302
    Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina, 6'4", 276
    Vinny Curry, DE/OLB, Marshall, 6,5", 263
  4. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,601 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    what are you pick are you trading toget DeCastro? He is my #1 pick but I think he will go in the top 15 maybe the top 10.
  5. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like all the picks, but I don't like Foles in the 2nd round.

I like Foles, but not that high.
  6. Hostile

Hostile It Has Been Fun Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    Calais Campbell in FA.
  7. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    It's hard to say without knowing where we are going to pick according to the draft value chart. If I had to guess, it would take this years 1st and at least next years 3rd to move up into the top 15.
  8. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I would still go pass rusher at round 2 even if we got Campbell or go after a CB in round 2 and another rusher in round 3. The more talent on defense, the better.
  9. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,898 Messages
    2,367 Likes Received
    how do you think of Brewster vs Ben Jones (UGA)?
  10. super8

super8 Benched

154 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I really think Killa is our next Center

but if you could get Brewster in 4th I be all over that pick

this is off of NFP

Ben Grubbs

Sets quickly in the pass game and does a much better job playing with an anchor vs. the bull rush. Will get caught lunging at the point in to order to create more of a jolt, but quickly re-sets his feet and drops his base in order to hold the point. Needs to do a better job extending his arms into contact and delivering a more effective punch. Is too much of a catcher who waits to work his hands and gain leverage once engaged. Would like to see him be more of the aggressor with his hands. Nevertheless, he slides his feet well and can mirror through contact and for the most part in space.

Impression: Improved his ability to snap and step this year and quickly get into contact as a run guy, which allowed him to play with more power on contact. Is a coordinated athlete on the move, can mirror through contact and looks like an NFL starter with a little time. But isn't an "elite" center prospect by any stretch.

Mike Brewster

Plays with natural leverage in the run game as well and once he gets his hands on defenders is tough to disengage from, as he can anchor/seal linemen consistently away from the football. Works his legs once engaged and has average natural power when trying to drive defenders off the football. At times takes poor angles when trying to create a snap off the line into contact and will allow interior defensive lineman to get up the field and create havoc behind him. Nevertheless, displays good short area quickness, has the fluidity/footwork to make up for a false step and push defenders past the play. Looks coordinated on the move. Isn't an elite athlete in space, but has some range to the second level, breaks down well and routinely can hold his own in space.

Impression: A seasoned lineman who displays good size, hand placement and bend for the position. Looks like an eventual starter to me in the NFL.

IMO I like Brewster think he will be the better pro
  11. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,898 Messages
    2,367 Likes Received
    thanx super8
  12. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Ingram or DeCastro in Round 1. As long as we come away with either of those guys I'm happy.
  13. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,645 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    So our OL is pretty much fixed with this draft, I'm not high on Brewster, much rather have Jones. But with all the OL draft picks where is the defense who is the main reasons for Dallas losing.
    Out of the 7 loses, you can blame the defense for all of them. The offense had the lead in 5 of those 7 and the 2 Eagles games our defense is just much to slow to matchup with their offense.
    As much as I would love to fix this OL through the draft, this defense needs to be rebuilt. I can see a OG or Center in round 2-4 and maybe even DeCastro depending on who is there when we pick, but I can't see Dallas going two OL in the first 4 rounds this year.
    I think if Spencer walks CB and OLB are our first two picks,
    that is way to early for Boykin, we don't need to spend that high of a pick on a returner/at beast #2 CB that will be a #3 or #4 here. Boykin is good but he isn't better than Jenkins and Jenkins isn't a #1 shutdown CB which is what this defense needs.
    We need a man cover shut down CB.
  14. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,273 Messages
    541 Likes Received
    No way I spend a 1st rounder on an OL. Do we have a need..yes? But this defense is trash. As a previous poster said 5 of the 7 losses we had the lead in the 4th.

I think the staff likes what it has in Arkin, Nagy, Killer and Costa. Murray would of had over 1,000 yards if not for a broke ankle and he didn't even play the first 4 games.

The whole draft needs to be on defense....defense....defense. Get some players in here and get this trash out of here.

Newman
    Brooking
    james
    Coleman
    Ball
    Walker
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,871 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    Sorry but we need to think about Romo's health and this O line interior is not good for it. Whine about the D all you want but the interior O line is just as important. As long as some of you manage to realize that a injured Romo sinks us just as fast if not faster then the D.
  16. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,888 Messages
    249 Likes Received
    As I (sorta) said in another thread, if you protect Romo and rush the passer well, you can hide a lot of warts. I think these two aspects of the game should be the team's co-#1 priority. If we take a pass rusher in the first, we take an OL in the second. As of today, the first four rounds look something like this in my dreams:

1. Melvin Ingram (OLB)
    2. Brandon Washington (OG)
    3. Derek Wolfe (DE)
    4. Robert Brewster (C)

(This assumes DeCastro is already gone when we pick.)
  17. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,706 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    Interesting...

If Spencer is resigned, I don't think OLB will be a need that early.

I don't think Wolfe, whom I really like is going to last until the 3rd round.
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,706 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    Hos, I gotta say I liked your earlier mock better.

Love the first pick.

Not big on Foles. Too lumbering. Also don't think his YPA is high enough to justify a 2nd round pick on him.

CB covering ability is bigger to me than the return ability and I don't think Boykin is a good enough cover guy to spend a 3rd on.

Also, I wouldn't get to amped about signing Campbell... I just don't think Dallas will have a shot.

That being said, I'd prefer taking Wolfe in the 2nd round and a better cover corner in round 3.
  19. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,645 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    I'm against picking any OL with that name.
  20. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I think you meant Michael Brewster (C).