1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I Wanna Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Hostile, Dec 28, 2011.

1. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've mentioned it in other threads -- I'm sold on improving the offense first. The NFL is about offense and the Cowboys offense isn't so far from being elite. It is time to complete the offense and move it up to elite status.

Go OL early, absolutely. Yes, pick up another FB and don't be a bit shy about picking one earlier than Round 6 if you are sold on him. I'm not ready to draft Romo's replacement yet, but I could be ready to draft Witten's replacement it is decided that it is time to part ways with MartyB.

I think Boykin would be a dynamic addition.
  2. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,622 Messages
    40 Likes Received

I dont like Foles, he is a statue. If we had Aikman's OL, Foles would be a great addition to the team, but Romo has to run for his life on every snap....Foles can't run, he will be beaten to a pulp.....and that is a lot of pulp as big as he is.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,139 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    I agree, offense wins in the NFL these days.

Look at Green Bay, New England and New Orleans. Those 3 QBs get a lot of credit, but their Offensive Lines are playing at high level also. The 1 game that GB lost was the game where 2 of their starting OL were out. NE and NO each have 2 OL in the Pro Bowl.

I don't dislike Boykin, but there are probably at least 10 better CBs in this draft. Boykin should be a good PR but NFL KRs usually have sturdier builds like a RB.

My favorite returner is Jeff Demps. He is short but solid and has ridiculous speed. He might need to play some slot WR to get on the field with the offense.
  4. Dmoore Esq

Dmoore Esq Member

170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Romo is still playing at a high level and Foles has proven himself to be ready to start in the NFL, you're at a tremendous position of strength. Young talented QBs bring a lot in return and provide good insurance against injury. Everyone knows we were interested in Dalton last year. Just imagine if we had Dalton coming in off the bench when Romo went down. Would feel a lot better about our chances.
  5. dboy214

dboy214 Benched

3,122 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i'm still not sold on cody johnson making the switch to fullback.

i like the broyles pick, hate the foles pick. we have too many holes on this team to be using a 2nd round pick on a backup qb.
  6. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think this draft is sorting out in such a way that a savvy-drafting team could address their defensive issues AND their offensive line early on...

Without going into names, the Boys could secure good players at the following positions:

1st round-- CB

2nd round-- OL

3rd round-- DL or LB

4th round-- DB

5th round-- OL...

With the 3 picks in the late rounds, address the offensive skill positions-- maybe a backup QB, a FB, TE depth, and by all means, a RB or WR who has return skills...
  7. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Don't look now, but he's been the Horns' fullback for the last two seasons...
  8. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,586 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Yeah, sorry.

Trade into the second round for a third, then...

1. Ingram
    2. Wolfe
    3. Zeitler
    3. Fleener
    4. Brewster

Does anyone really think Ingram lasts into round two?
  9. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,446 Messages
    2,308 Likes Received
    You really won't know until after the combine.

But if Spencer is retained... It won't matter. Ingram won't be the pick regardless.
  10. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,399 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I agree... I think the OL can wait till the 2nd if not the 3rd round we need some difference makers in the secondary.
  11. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,269 Messages
    1,912 Likes Received
    sorry silver, dont agree at all

the defense should be all about front 7 pressuring the QB and stopping the run

look at the top defenses around the league and name me their #3 CB, or even the #2 CB for many

these defenses are built on dominant front 7 personnel

we already have 2 first round CBs and our defense is horrid
    the best CB is Revis, how good is their defense doing?

we need to upgrade the front 7

we need a real SOLB (perhaps Ingram)
    we need a NT (soliai or Poe)
    we need a 3-4 DE that can pressure (if we get NT, that can be Rat or draft Wolf, my preference would be both)

AND

upgrade the OL

OC and an OG

now, we can play with anybody
  12. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,586 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I agree with this.
  13. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,875 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    My pipe dream is to sign Campbell and Finnegan in Free Agency. That goes a long way towards improving our defense. Then we can focus on OL early in the draft.
  14. super8

super8 Benched

154 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I mean has any one looked at the CB's that were in the SB the last few years - I mean nothing special
  15. BigWillie

BigWillie Well-Known Member

1,671 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    L-O-V-E the pick of Ryan Broyles. Unfortunately, I think someone will take a chance on him much higher because of how valuable a WR he can be.

I'd be willing to take him in the 4th round area, put him on the PUP list, then slowly work him in as our slot WR of the future. He will be an absolute terror as a slot WR in the future years.
  16. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Are you being sarcastic?
  17. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,196 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Is Arizona willing to let him walk?
  18. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,939 Messages
    545 Likes Received
    I disagree to a degree. I agree that the pass rush should be upgraded, but so does the secondary. The NFL has turned into a pass 1st league. Sure if you rush the passer well you will beat the lesser QB's in the league. But blitz the like of Brees, Brady, Rodgers, P. Manning, and a few others and they will pick you apart to no end. Right now our secondary is sorely lacking. Newman is old and cant play anymore and Jenkins is unreliable. If we keep sticking those 2 on islands by themselves we will lose.

By the way, in what world are Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams and Morgan Burnett not good players? Ike Taylor and Troy Polamalu are both pretty great as well....We dont have a single impact player that can make a big play in our secondary.
  19. visionary

7,269 Messages
    1,912 Likes Received
    not saying our secondary is great and could not do with an upgrade

just saying that you have to start with a dominant front 7 and we are sorely lacking there

upgrade the front 7 first. we still need NT, pass rushing SOLB, 1 3-4 DE that can put pressure

then lets talk about picking a CB

now, i dont know what we will do in FA so a lot of this is moot but

given our defense the way it is right now, if we are sitting at picks between 20-32 and there is a choice between taking a SOLB and a CB, I take the SOLB all day

if we can pick a NT like soliai in FA and draft derek wolf and ingram (SOLB) there are mid-range CBs available in FA like finnegan and ross who will be more than adequate even in a starting role

it will be very expensive to try and find a great SOLB in FA but we can get that in the draft

same for center

go OG in FA and OC in draft

my only point is that we tend to focus on the shiny toys like CB and WR whereas great defenses and offenses are first strong up the middle and you build out from there
  20. visionary

7,269 Messages
    1,912 Likes Received
    i know you are being sarcastic here so answer this question for me

given a choice, would you rather have

a great front 7 and average secondary or

average front 7 and great secondary

i think the answer is obvious but maybe not to everyone