1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I want this kid

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by UnoDallas, Oct 5, 2010.

1. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Christian Ballard/DL/Iowa: Ballard was listed as a sleeper prospect in our season preview, but NFL scouts have since awoken to the potential of this defensive lineman. His performance against Penn State was nothing less than dominant. Ballard was outstanding in all facets of the position throughout the game and almost single-handedly made the goal-line stand which sealed victory for Iowa. He has added power to his game this season, the only ingredient that was missing. Ballard could go from sleeper status to first-round pick if he continues to play at his present level.

Not sure what RG Stefen Wisniewski was thinking on 1st-Qtr. sack of Rob Bolden. He turned DT Christian Ballard loose for free shot. ... Speaking of Ballard, Lions' OL couldn't handle him on 3rd and 4th down plays at Iowa 1 that produced zero yards.

[IMG]

DT Christian Ballard Iowa 6-5 #297
  2. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,447 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    Well, I want this kid....
    [IMG]
    FS Rahim Moore UCLA 6-1 196

Has started every game since he arrived in Westwood. Led nation in 2009 with 10 picks. 27 Tackles and 1 pick so far this year.
  3. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think its between DT-DE

FS and Lber

just depends on whos there
  4. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,218 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    I like Ballard as well, but I wonder how he'll be when he won't have Clayborn drawing the doubles and occasional triples on the same line with him.
  5. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hope we resign Spears so we don't need a DE in 1 or 2.

Greg Jones in one.
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

5,223 Messages
    564 Likes Received
    You`re probably right. The 2011 draft will be another year that the o-line will be ignored so that it will continue to be the biggest weakness on the team.
  7. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    DMac all day
  8. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    DMac isn't anything remotely close to a FS and he is vastly overrated as a SS.

Given that he isn't close to being the type of safety that goes in the first round why is he being graded there?

Hurricanes have a garbage QB and theay scorched him.
  9. Chris in Arizona

3,447 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    I watched the Miami game since so many people are high on McDaniel. I am still not high on him. He's too stiff. I want an athlete back there.

I went to a UCLA game (it was free) and I literally watched Moore the whole time. He was always in position, breaks on the ball quickly and takes great angles, and made the game clinching INT against Jake Locker. I hated losing this kid to UCLA and I'm hoping like heck I get him for my NFL team.

As of now the safeties I like more than McDaniel are:

Rahim Moore UCLA
    Deunta Williams UNC (even though he has yet to play)
    Quinton Carter Oklahoma
  10. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm right there with you......Moore, Williams, Carter in that order.

I have no interest in drafting a S in one, but if we get stuck and can't trade out, I'll take Moore. I like Deunta in 2 a lot. I don't know a lot about Carter. Not a lot of starting experience. Supposedly he has a lot of man cover skills.

I go Greg Jones in 1, Deunta Williams in 2.

I'm not sure you put FS in the "have to have it" categore with this team. We're pretty good without it.

If we lose Hatcher and Bowen you may want to go Jarvis Jenkins type guy in 2-3.
  11. Chris in Arizona

3,447 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    I really hope we don't spend another high pick on an inside linebacker this year.

I see a lot of Cowboys fans with this attitude and I just don't get it. Do you know how many turnovers we would have with the combination of our Front 7's pressure AND a free safety with a nose for the ball? Haven't you noticed how many errant QB passes just hit the carpet against us? Once we finally get a true safety with skills I think everyone will see what we've been missing these past few years.

I think we stashed Sean Lissemore on the 53 this year so that we would have some DE depth next year. I really hope we re-sign Spears and Bowen before the end of the season.
  12. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Despite the list of S's you posted last week, really good FS's aren't that readily available IMO. Most don't have the speed required to really play the position at a top notch level.....nor the instincts...........which is why you see more and more S's who look like CB's.

No interest in Bowen unless he shows up for real this year.
  13. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,566 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Yeah I think Spears gets resigned. Won't be a high demand for him, so it'll likley be cheap and I see our D-line next year being

RDE- Igor Olshansky, Stephen Bowen
    NT- Jay Ratliff, Josh Price-Brent
    LDE- Marcus Spears, Sean Lissimore
  14. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There could be quite a bit of demand for Spears.

They were talking on DC.com radio the other day about him.

There were 5 3-4 teams when we drafted him

There are now 12-13 3-4 base teams.
  15. Manwiththeplan

4,566 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    but he'll be entering his 7th season, and he doesn't get a lot of sacks. Teams will be interested, but he won't get a ton of money, ala Canty
  16. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's 27 years old.

What 3-4 end gets a lot of sacks?

He's one of the best, if not the best run-stopping 3-4 ends in the league.
  17. Manwiththeplan

4,566 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    In their prime, Seymour, Ty Warren, Aaron Smith, Justin Smith, Shuan Ellis and Trevor Pryce all were guys giving between 6-8 sacks consistently. Spears as we know may get 2.5, but not more than that
  18. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Talk about revisionist history.

How about you take out the guys who spent the vast majority of their careers in a 4-3 and then let's talk.
  19. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A man on a mission
    So much was made of the dominant night by Iowa DE Adrian Clayborn

Saturday evening. However, the one guy who continues to make an impact for me up front is DT Christian Ballard.
    For a guy his size — 6-4, 300 pounds — I don’t know if there is another defensive lineman in the nation who can run sideline-to-sideline as well as he can.
    Plus, he’s explosive off the snap, uses his hands well to slip blocks and plays with good leverage.
    Plus, he offers a lot of versatility in terms of the next level, as I could see him as a three-technique in more of a one-gap scheme.

I could see him playing as a strong side end and kick inside on passing downs in a 4-3.

And I could certainly see him as one of the prized five-techniques in the entire draft.

He possesses good length/athleticism, plays hard and because of his versatility this guy looks like one of the safer potential three-down starting caliber linemen in this year’s draft.
  20. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Say what?