1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I was threatened and called a racist tonight.

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by CowboyPrincess, Nov 27, 2008.

1. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,645 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:

Poor fella thinks he is being picked on for his political beliefs.

The mods only perma-ban people who go too far after repeatedly being told to back off.

They only ban those who are not smart enough to know when enough is enough or not mature enough to follow the guidelines.

To say Mods like Brainpaint or WG (both who usually police this section) are "extreme righties" or even favor the extreme right posters is stupid to say the least.

2. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,856 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I've never indicated that the moderators were being unfair or that they are "extreme righties". I did not see the posts that Hos removed, and I will take his word that they were innapropriate. You and I would likely disagree on politics, but I do not recall you questioning my character or my beliefs. I don't think Miles was much more guilty than a few others here, but the others have managed to stay just behind the line. I'll go with Hos's rationale for making the ban, but I'll ask for just a little more civility around here. Burm's a lost cause, so I'll just continue to keep him on ignore.
  3. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,324 Messages
    3,192 Likes Received
    I don't think that's too much to ask for. It's gotten ridiculous and is probably a turnoff to those who might even consider joining in the discussions down here.
  5. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,366 Messages
    1,360 Likes Received
    Thank you. I hate banning anybody, but the suggestions that I did it because of his politics are out of line. I am the least political person who posts here. I openly admit I know very little about politics. How many people here would admit that? I have openly espoused several Liberal beliefs. So why in the blue hell would I care what politics he was espousing. It was entirely about the Guidelines and I personally tried to reign him in prior to the ban. He was looking to incite. Period. End of story.

Oh and thank you for putting those whose politics annoy you on Ignore. I think it takes a man to do that. You have my respect for it.
  6. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I actually made a screengrab of his final post because I had trouble replying to it. Unbeknownst to me, it had already been deleted. Let's just say he was obsessed with dismissing opponents as hooded racists.
  7. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,402 Messages
    383 Likes Received
    I prefer free speech and don't enjoy people getting banned. I prefer people to speak what they believe is truth. I may not agree with that person but at least I know where that person stands.
  8. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,963 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    the trouble is that some people don't believe the crap they spew forth, they just want to get people to arguing over crap.

so no, you'd not know where he stands and i don't believe people have the "freedom of speech" to hurt people simply because that's how they get their jollies.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,366 Messages
    1,360 Likes Received
    I do too, but within the Guidelines. This is a private site, not an open forum. If it was open we would allow anything. We do not. We have explicit Guidelines. He was not adhering to them, was advised of it, and chose to ignore it. He has no one to blame but himself.
  10. Viper

Viper Active Member

2,190 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have no issues with the rules. They are reasonable and fair. This is a private site that caters to many different people. The mods are doing an outstanding job.
  11. Phrozen Phil

3,856 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I didn't put him on ignore because of his politics. I put him on ignore because he seeks only to inflame and infuriate. Burm has little or nothing to say that's constructive and his depiction of the performance of foreign troops and Canadian troops in Afghanistan was a flat-out lie. There are others that disagree politically with me, but they have the good manners to do it in a way that demonstrates respect for me and for this forum.

Once again, I thank you for your efforts and I in no way wish to cast aspersions on the moderators. It's tough to make the decision to ban somebody and I respect your rationale and your mandate as moderators.
  12. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,300 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I left for the holiday break for three days where there is no internet access and i missed quite a bit. But then again, that might have been for the better ;)
  13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,449 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I think it was obvious from the original post where the thread would ultimately lead. It should have been deleted or moved. It was never going to generate a level-headed and worthwhile exchange on politics despite the poster's stated intentions.
  14. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,963 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    i think this is political and a sign of our times. *we* all need to be able to talk about these things rationally and w/o baiting each other, despite your "mastery" of it.

people who are out to pick a fight will do so, topics be damned. cowboysprincess had every right to talk about what she went through and many people chimned in appropriately. what i refuse to let happen is the actions of a few dictate the freedom of the many.

if you can't handle yourself in a group, you'll be asked to leave. this is what happened, nothing more. not talking because you know an a-wad will be an a-wad is not the proper course in my opinion.
  15. Phrozen Phil

3,856 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    It was a charged topic and was a mine field for a few folks. The minute you talk about issues related to race, security and how to deal with violence, a lot of people become "instant experts". There are some who will bait others to raise the rhetoric to an unnaceptable level. some times it is better to just walk away.

I would hope that people would extend the kind of courtesy that you extend to me when I am in a discussion. Too often, the comments descend into the junior high level of quasi-slander that serves no one.
  16. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,708 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    ...to this thread, but I think the really important fact is that a man acted in an ignorant, threatening and immature manner towards a member of this forum whom many of us know from her participation over the years.

Dragging this debate into other realms of politics, gun control, race relations and gives an impression that we are ignoring the fact that CP was treated poorly and her family was frightened by the incident.

Her coming to this forum openly obligates us to treat her and the incident in a respectful manner and not hijack this into our own personal opinions. I know this is a political forum, but at least we should support CP before derailing this into a 20 page thread.

I'm sorry, but I only read the first 3 pages and I clicked on it because of the original poster.

CP, I'm happy to hear you were not hurt and a pox on the ignorant fool who accosted you and your family!
  17. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Im somewhat confused by this statement. What exactly do you mean "the sign of our times"?
  18. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am so sorry that I ever said anything. I never expected the response I got. I honestly thought that we could discuss what happened and whether I had a real cause for concern for my children and others because of this type of thing. And whether the remark made by that young man about Obama making it happen was something that was growing or just the remarks of a few. I didn't honestly expect what happened here as well.

I guess I am naive to think that I could open a dialogue without being called names.

I appreciate everyones opinion, I appreciate the support by those that knew I had good intentions and told me not to worry about these types of things getting worse and I appreciate those that had my back once the attacks began.

I only ask now that Hos or WG close this thread. It's making me ill to see the depths that some Cowboys fans are willing to go to hurt one another. And it's making me equally sick as well to know that my post started this all....
  19. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thank you David
  20. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I don't think we need censorship to pre-empt all possible reactions to a thread.
    It is what it is and a jerk will be a jerk regardless.

Let's not start blaming the people open to discussion for the actions of the few troglodytes, ok?