1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I wish the Dallas Cowboys would learn this

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Tobal, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

1,981 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    "If you're going to have a good team, strength will be on OL and DL." - Charlie Strong University of Texas Head Coach.
  2. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

1,981 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    We will see if he walks to the walk, but I sure like his talk.
    Ntegrase96 likes this.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,941 Messages
    5,599 Likes Received
    Longhorn fans should feel good about it. He'll at least attempt to build the right way.
    Ntegrase96 likes this.
  4. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

2,951 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    That is how he has built his other teams. No reason to think it won't continue.
    BoysFan4ever and casmith07 like this.
  5. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

793 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Change the title from "Dallas Cowboys" to "GM" ... get that kind of talent on draft day. ;)
  6. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,336 Messages
    723 Likes Received
    I don't think anyone with the Cowboys envisioned every starter on the defensive line getting injured at some point during the season.
    Boyzmamacita likes this.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,237 Messages
    3,051 Likes Received
    The Cowboys spent more on their projected starting DLine in 2013 than any other team.
  8. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,130 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    That's what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket. ;)
  9. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

1,588 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    I dare them to do that again, but with new faces lol
  10. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

1,981 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    For the most part I agree, we didn't think Ware to have such a rough year, Spencer and Crawford being gone all year. Depending on Ratliff for contribution was a huge mistake. I also don't know why they didn't make a long term offer to spencer (reasonable) and when he turned it down made a run at Bennett. Seattle got him cheap.
  11. hutch1254

hutch1254 Well-Known Member

1,416 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Charlie stole my line below and just added his own words. Dang him! Either sentence you want to use it's the truth.
  12. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Those are the two weakest areas on the team that just won the Super Bowl.
  13. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Active Member

896 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    They seemed to believe that at least about the OL last season. A big bright spot in an otherwise mediocre season was how much our OL improved over the previous season. The drafting of Frederick, the signing of Waters, and the generally improved play on the OL were all big positives. Maybe that can happen with the D-line now. There's some chance Jerry has realized that skill-position players are useless without good lines.
  14. 50cent

50cent Well-Known Member

2,403 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    I wish the Dallas Cowboys would learn that Charlie Strong would make a great head coach for the Dallas Cowboys!
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  15. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

1,981 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    I disagree they may not be stars, but that defensive line is tough to run against and they got great pressure on Manning quickly. That's why their secondary could play so aggressive.
  16. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,589 Messages
    3,848 Likes Received
    And at least one, if not two, were awful investments. So?
  17. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,336 Messages
    723 Likes Received
    The so is that Dallas gets they need a defensive line. The original post gave the impression that Dallas doesn't take the defensive line seriously.. That is not the case. They may not make the right choices, but they did try to produce a good defensive line. One could even say they have finally started caring about the offensive line when they drafted Frederick. They still have more work to do, but they have two key components of the offensive line in place.
  18. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,417 Messages
    874 Likes Received
    Kinda funny considering Texas's 2014 recruiting class is atrocious at DL and OL.
  19. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

675 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    I hope Coach Strong can put together a better recruiting class than what he got this year.
  20. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,082 Messages
    4,001 Likes Received
    Yep. Granted, SEA has a deep team, but the simplistic idea of building a team by spending premium resources on trench players who play positions where you can draft and develop mid rounders is a bad one. Like anything, it's a mix of getting the guys who are hard to find high, and finding guys you can develop, and the coaches who can develop them, low.

But I have a hard time understanding how anyone could watch what we've spent in terms of picks and salary cap dollars on both lines the last couple years and think we're not willing to be aggressive about getting talent in the trenches. That talent also has to play, and to play at a level that justifies its cost. And, on defense this year, it didn't come close.
    jterrell and Reverend Conehead like this.