1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I would like to hear the arguments of Garrett supporters

Discussion in 'Rant Zone' started by TheXFactor, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,763 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    Wade Phillips is a bad head coach, but he is much better than Garrett. After all was said and done, he did pretty well here.
    Smith22, birdwells1, khiladi and 3 others like this.
  2. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

377 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    "Pretty Well" is all relative. Pretty well compared to the Cowboys recent history? Definitely
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,301 Messages
    3,096 Likes Received
    Do you also have ocean front property in Kansas that you'd like to sell me?

Wade had tons of talent when he was here. He inherited a talent and disciplined roster from Parcells.

Garrett inherited old roster full of players with a sense of entitlement and a huge salary cap mess.
    pancakeman and cowboys1981 like this.
  4. Wheeltax

Wheeltax Well-Known Member

868 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    I'm a longtime believer in patience in Garrett, but at this point, it's obvious that the Garrett experiment in Dallas isn't working. There are no more excuses. He's had 3+ years now as HC, plenty of time to churn in talent that he wants, plenty of time to implement his system and his culture, plenty of time to prove that he's at least moving in the right direction and, if anything, it's going in the wrong direction.

Sorry, JG. I like you, I think you're a pretty smart guy and you seem nice and all, but it's just time for a change. Turn in your headset and playsheet, and good luck wherever life takes you.

Mr. Callahan, Mr. Kiffin, your services are also no longer needed.

Mr. Jones, please get out too.
    ScipioCowboy and pjtoadie like this.
  5. tecolote

1,763 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    I'm not talking about what they inherited and such, I'm just looking and facts, wins and losses, nfc east titles, playoff wins and stuff like that. Go look it up.
  6. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,873 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    I'm listening to Garrett's press conference right now and the guy just doesn't get it. He basically throws Romo under the bus again but when confronted with, "couldn't you just tell him not to audible out" he gets flustered and starts saying that what he does on the headsets isn't something he needs to talk about. Luckily the media won't let up and they are drilling him. They followed it up saying "why did you give him the option" and Garrett just said he didn't know what they were trying to get at.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    khiladi likes this.
  7. Carl23

Carl23 Member

268 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Seriously, one of the best posts on this board in awhile (maybe because I agree with everything you said 100%).
    Idgit likes this.
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,301 Messages
    3,096 Likes Received
    I guess Barry Switzer was a great NFL head coach. He did win a Super Bowl (with Jimmy's players).
  9. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,167 Messages
    1,343 Likes Received

My biggest peeve with Garrett is he doesn't win and doesn't give us really any kind of advantage as a coach.

He pretty much sucks.

You give Dave Campo this same talent and you'd be getting the same results.
    Smith22, khiladi, tantrix1969 and 2 others like this.
  10. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,473 Messages
    1,183 Likes Received
    I've never been a Garrett (or Romo) supporter, but there are some things that have obviously gotten better since Garrett became head coach. For one, we started to cut ties with all the overpriced veterans. There are some left (not nearly as many as there were 3-4 years ago) but most of them came before Garrett took over. Also, I liked that we addressed the O-line in the first round of the draft. I like Dez, Sean Lee (when healthy), and a few other guys that Garrett drafted. Other than that, I can't think of anything.
  11. jwitten82

jwitten82 Active Member

579 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Dez and Lee were drafted when Wade was coach.
    khiladi likes this.
  12. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,085 Messages
    266 Likes Received

true, but there are some who will NEVER admit they are wrong regardless of the situation
  13. Wheeltax

Wheeltax Well-Known Member

868 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    I wonder how Garrett would do with Switzer's talent
  14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,193 Messages
    1,814 Likes Received
    Given a choice between idiots I would rather have the guy who knows he is an idiot over one who thinks he is a genius
    Alexander likes this.
  15. tecolote

1,763 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    First of all, I said Wade was a bad head coach, but he was better than the terrible one we have right now. As for Switzer, he was not a great NFL coach, but anything else than winning a Super Bowl would've been considered a failure with him, and he did it. So he gets a pass from me.
  16. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,216 Messages
    229 Likes Received
    I think you would be hard-pressed to find a single person in this franchise's management or a "franchise player" on this team that is immune from criticism today.

My only problem with replacing Garrett is that you would be treating a symptom and not the disease that has rotted out this franchise. Replacing Garrett would be giving the appearance of motion and improvement when, in fact, the over-riding factor that is ruining our seasons remains the same. You know who I'm talking about,,,
  17. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,473 Messages
    1,183 Likes Received
    Oh ok. Then I guess the only things I really liked were Tyron and Beard. At least he addressed the O-line. Didn't like the lack of D-line though. I guess you have to credit him for turning this O-line from pathetic into pretty darn good in a matter of 3 years.
  18. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,191 Messages
    605 Likes Received
    Garrett's bad game management and bad coaching in general have nothing to do with Jerry. It's all him!
  19. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,049 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    Like Bill Cowher said yesterday, Jerry routinely makes coaching decisions. Jerry says all major decisions are a result of a consensus, but he has all of the money and power, so I think that should be taken with a grain of salt. If there is one universal truth, it would be that people do not routinely want to relinquish power once they have it, IMO. That means Garrett wanting to give up play calling to Callahan does not pass even an initial smell test. It sounds like Jerry's idea, and the real consensus is that everybody wants to keep their jobs, so they do what the boss wants them to do.

As long as Jerry is deciding who calls the plays, and who knows what else, I don't think it matters if we change coaches or not. We need another Parcells, but I doubt if Jerry will do something like that again until he's desperate, like he was when he had three straight 5-11 seasons and needed a new stadium. That new stadium looks like it's going to last for a few decades, at least, so it may be a while until we get a coach who can really get something done. :(
  20. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,788 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Im not a Garrett supporter. But here is my take on the next two games. I WANT TO WIN. But, if we lose the thought that Garrett could be gone helps ease the pain. I have become numb to losing over the last few years. I used to be upset for days after a loss. Now its just a hour or so.
    pjtoadie and Mr Cowboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.