1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I'd be bringing in Richard Seymour sooner than later

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by PoetTree, Oct 16, 2013.

1. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,129 Messages
    1,149 Likes Received
    Well if you truly believe Spencer only had 1 1/2 good seasons here in Dallas than I guess that's where we end this lol. It wasn't that he was worth 11 million. He was franchise tagged and the tag allowed for him to be paid 11 million. The Spencer was a GREAT move. It didn't work but you franchise tagged him and didn't sign him long term.
    StarBoyz83 likes this.
  2. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

722 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    If they let Spencer go, and say Spencer signed with Philly or Washington and stayed healthy, and had 6 sacks right now how many threads would be on here saying how do you let our best dline men go?
  3. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

5,079 Messages
    420 Likes Received
    hate that guy, did anyone see him snickering on ESPN a few ago when talking about how he pulled one on Jerry and knew he was done before he even signed the contract and came to Dallas? This should put a fire in whomever makes these decisions belly to think real hard about handing over contracts to players where the Cowboys lose all leverage and are forced to put up with whatever crap the whims of that player is leading him (hello jay Ratliff--you never should have gotten a contract extension)
  4. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,405 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    In today's NFL it is better to let a guy go a year early than a year late. Spencer and Ratliff should of been gone.
    cowboys1981 and yimyammer like this.
  5. yimyammer

5,079 Messages
    420 Likes Received
    let him walk....they should have planned for this years in advance but deals like the Roy Willy trade & Ratliff extension consumed cap space, removed any leverage they could have had with a player and keep others players from developing...again the cowboys poor management forces their hand as they felt desperate to have him because they had no other options that were developing in prior years. They could have grabbed a guy like Bennett and and another Dlineman on one year deals and still had cap room leftover by letting him walk

I'm just glad they were unable to reach a deal with Spence but I can't be too excited about that because I can't really give much credit to the Cowboys for not doing a deal as they probably would have if Spencer had been willing to take a few million less
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  6. rocyaice

7,129 Messages
    1,149 Likes Received
    Same people would be rueing Spencer....I already know man. This place is about as predictable as it gets.....
  7. rocyaice

7,129 Messages
    1,149 Likes Received
    Let your best player on defense last season walk......I guess its easy to say now since he's hurt but had Jerry done that and Spencer had success with his new team you and many other posters would be making threads about "Why didn't we franchise Spencer...?".
  8. yimyammer

5,079 Messages
    420 Likes Received
    A good Gm shouldn't give a rats *** what a bunch of fans think on a forum and certainly shouldn't be bound by their potential rue-age and if the GM was worth a damn, a plan for Spencers' and other players replacements should have been in the works years ago. A good statistical analysis on the ROI of players at various ages should be seriously considered when making a long term deal with any aging player. Outside of offensive linemen and the QB, I think very few long term contracts should be given to players approaching or above 30 years of age but perhaps Adam can pop in with one of his great knowledge bombs and show this isn't the case
  9. SlwSVT

SlwSVT Active Member

295 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Seymour would work if he would take an incentive laced deal. I believe Waters took something like that. Only problem then would be the cap. Would have to do some restructing and not sure what players they could do that to. Nevertheless, Seymour being out of football would probably take a month or so to get in football shape.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,860 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    10 H
  11. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

3,003 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    Seymour will not play a down for us. I still like Powe. He'd be cheaper and was cut from KC. He was a NT that got bumped with Poe being drafted. He could have an impact like Nevis.
  12. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,302 Messages
    1,468 Likes Received
    You act like Spencer has been wonderful since he has been here. The truth is, he hasn't been. Last year was an anomaly with Spencer. Why do you think we were cautious about signing him long term?
  13. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I'd do it if we could work out the money.
  14. rocyaice

7,129 Messages
    1,149 Likes Received
    Who was better than Spencer for this defense last year?
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,860 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    Ware, despite his injuries obviously. Your hero could not get more sacks then a player that was more than half crippled; Frankly Lee was better as well.
  16. rocyaice

7,129 Messages
    1,149 Likes Received
    No he hasn't been wonderful but he had a great year last year. Hatcher is having a great year this year too and probably is our best defensive player this year. Do you let him walk? Hatcher may be a different case since he's not 28 or 29 like Spencer was but you should do whatever it takes to bring Hatch back. For the right price of course. If its a 1 year deal you do it. We got Spencer on a 1 year deal. We took a small gamble and it didn't work. But not because of the player but because of a injury. It happens. You can't be upset because a player got hurt. Its the NFL. It happens.

Just curious but what would've made it worth while? What would Spencer have had to do in order for you not to complain about franchising him for one year? If he made the Pro Bowl and had 13 to 15 sacks and constantly got pressure on the qb would it had been enough?
  17. rocyaice

7,129 Messages
    1,149 Likes Received
    Ware and Lee were hurt last year lol. How on earth were they better?
  18. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,540 Messages
    1,033 Likes Received
    Are we really going to use sacks to grade our strong-side player on? ProFootballFocus had Spencer as our #1 defender in 2012, #5 in 2011, #3 in 2010, and #2 in 2009. I've never seen someone misjudged the way Spencer was for A) Admitting the team packed it in in 2010 and B) Not racking up 10+ sacks a year across from a 10+ sack edge rusher, which nobody does.
    rocyaice likes this.
  19. rocyaice

7,129 Messages
    1,149 Likes Received
    Because people are too fascinated with stats. Nevermind that Spencers plays our strongside which is also a GREAT point but stats doesn't show the potential game winning sacks Spencer had for us last season in the 4th quarter. Spencer was our best player on defense last season.
  20. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,912 Messages
    984 Likes Received
    don't have the money..