1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I'd be bringing in Richard Seymour sooner than later

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by PoetTree, Oct 16, 2013.

1. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,655 Messages
    595 Likes Received
    I don't think Seymour expects to earn 15M for 6-8 games. If his starting number is 5-7M, then Jerry can negotiate down from there. 2-4M for half a season is doable, especially if Jerry is serious about contention THIS year. Jerry has spent more for less.
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,319 Messages
    4,469 Likes Received
    Explain how we get him signed with our salary cap situation.
  3. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,074 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    Seceret sauce
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,629 Messages
    6,393 Likes Received
    We're not signing an over-the-hill vet off the couch to a large contract we can't afford. He'd do nothing more than take up a roster spot until week 10 or 11 at this point, and we don't have a roster spot to cough up while we get him into shape. We don't have money to sign him.

And you guys who didn't appreciate Anthony Spencer during his entire time here just don't know what you're talking about, period.
  5. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Awesome.
    The best part of that post was where the "staff member" tells members they dont know what they are talking about "period" for having an opinion.
    Unfortunate.
  6. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Wrong side of thirty. pass.
  7. Idgit

30,629 Messages
    6,393 Likes Received
    Buck up. I'm entitled to my opinions, too. And anybody who doesn't realize Anthony Spencer has been a very good player for a long time in Dallas simply doesn't know what they're talking about. *In my opinion.*

Don't hide behind my being a staff member. If you don't agree, feel free to engage in the topic.
  8. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Not true.

It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of facts.
  9. Szczepanik

Szczepanik Well-Known Member

960 Messages
    514 Likes Received
    Ehhh I don't know about him being VERY good for a while. I feel that the year before his franchise tag was his first actual breakout year that we were waiting for. Other than that he is above average at his position. There was a reason we didn't get a long term contract banked out on him..
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,677 Messages
    1,619 Likes Received
    He was a good player and that is all. Take off your rose colored glasses and admit that only in one out of SIX YEARS was he anything more
    visionary likes this.
  11. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,014 Messages
    1,330 Likes Received
    11 million is not a small gamble, it is a big gamble. We knew Spencers history here. If we were smart we would have traded him. The ONLY silver lining is we weren't dumb enough(for once) to sign him to a long term contract. Our team has been been .500 for 18 years now. Do you have any idea why?
  12. Idgit

30,629 Messages
    6,393 Likes Received
    We've done this dance before, burm, back when you were so confused how he got franchised in 2012. Remember? Either way, the difference between 'good' and 'very good' is subjective. When players from other teams are comparing your play to Demarcus Ware's, you must be doing something right. I mean, very right.
  13. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,346 Messages
    1,206 Likes Received
    I have no idea if we can afford Seymour, but our DL is a total mash unit right now. Selvie and Hatcher are also on the injury list. You have to think this is going to come back and haunt us before too long. What to do? What is going with Ben Bass? Can he come back from IR or not?
  14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,514 Messages
    2,102 Likes Received

agree with you
    we WAY WAY overpaid for an average player in anthony spencer
    people defending him are just the usual jerry apologists

the ONLY reason we paid him the money we did is becasue we have an idiot for a GM who has no idea how to set priorities to build a team or to have a plan to replace over-rated over-paid players
  15. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

3,070 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    Im definitely in for bringing seymour in. Even with his help I dont see us doing much this year. But without it itll be worse. The d line is terrible.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,677 Messages
    1,619 Likes Received
    As usual you waffle like something from IHOP. And what does his franchising in 2012 have to do with this outside of your need to show off or whatever?

And why don't you show some of these examples as regards comparing him to DeWare. I need a good laugh.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,910 Messages
    1,790 Likes Received
    Yeah, let him walk. He was too expensive to begin with and now, we have nothing to show for the 11 Million. Yeah, let him walk. Trade him if you can.
  18. Idgit

30,629 Messages
    6,393 Likes Received
    I don't think you know what the term 'waffle' means, burm, which sounds weird, because it's a pretty easy word. But I've never waffled on this topic.

The 2012 franchise tag is relevant as it goes to what the team thought of Anthony's work prior to giving him the franchise tag since you made the explicit point that he was no better than good prior to 2012.

As to the funny quotes, how 'bout this one:

Is that a good enough laugh for you? I'll admit, I don't have a very good grasp of what it is you might find amusing.
  19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,910 Messages
    1,790 Likes Received
    I think that you are correct in your first statement. I don't see us signing Seymour to a large deal either. If a moderate deal could be worked out and I mean moderate, then perhaps but that's not going to happen.

On the other, I do think that there is a difference between not appreciating and simply believing that he is not worth the money being demanded. The team negotiated with him for a very long time. In the end, they elected to pay him on 1 season at 11 Million and be done with it. That, IMO, says something. If memory servers, he wanted something in the area of 10 Million a season. That, to me, is just too much and it has nothing to do with appreciation. We simply could not afford that.
  20. Idgit

30,629 Messages
    6,393 Likes Received
    Oh, I definitely agree. He wanted too much money, each of the last two offseasons, and the team was right not to pay it. The second franchise again this season was a huge premium, and the result of not having a better backup plan available in the first place. It was a necessary evil, and not a mistake. But it was very expensive and it was the result of poor planning earlier.

AS is a good/very good (not going to quibble about the difference there) player who asked for too much commitment in a long-term deal.