1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I'd be bringing in Richard Seymour sooner than later

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by PoetTree, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,496 Messages
    2,007 Likes Received
    Well said, cowboysooner.

What's more, Broaddus or someone else I was listening to on one of the pregame shows was saying it's likely the team was well aware the knee didn't have much left when they franchised him, knowing it was a ticking time bomb but gambling they could get one more year out of it.

But yeah, Spencer is the bad guy. He chose to have his knee wrecked and now go through one of the most serious surgeries and worst rehabs imaginable rather than be healthy and put up great numbers. Makes sense.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,118 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    He did not play great from 2009 to 2012. What are you smoking?

How many of his sacks came on third downs when it was a clear passing down and there are no excuses like you keep using? Answer: very few.
  3. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,381 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Ummm?

If an outside rusher beats an OT to the outside and ends up where a 5 step drop takes a qb, but Coleman or Spears is wrestling with the guard 1/2 a yard from the line of scrimage and the qb steps into a clean pocket, what is the outside rusher supposed to have done? Use only inside moves? Only bull rush 330 lbs right tackles? Get more loop sacks by running stunts with a defensive end with no knee that can't break 5.2 in a 40? Football is a complicated team game. Nuances do matter. I don't mean to insult you, but if you say that Spencer was good at the end of 2009 and 2012 and was an overated bum the rest of the time that tells me that you are simply looking at sack totals. Dude was a beast and made a ton of stuff plays in the run game with TFL's.

Same player was making alot of the same plays, but there was variance in the results. That is sport. That is math. That is work. That is life. Every day is not the same despite the fact we do similar things.
  4. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

2,878 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    He admittedly took plays off one season.

He was the best SOLB in football against the run in a year he was trying to negotiate a long-term contract or hit free agency.

He played across from a HOF OLB for his entire career so don't give me the fact that the 3-4 defensive line couldn't push the pocket.

He didn't even get hurt in training camp so I don't know where you got that from. He got "hurt" in OTA's because he "bumped knees" with another player and had to deal with a "bone bruise". Then he gets "hurt" again in a conditioning test. All leading up to his eventual microfracture surgery which conveniently leads to him collecting a paycheck, more than 99% of the world will see collectively in their entire lives, without working a single day this year. And if you're naive to believe that Spencer signed the franchise tag so quickly, not because him and his agent knew exactly what his condition was, then more power to you. I'm of the opinion they did and I don't like it.