1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If Garrett can stop doing this on 3rd down this team can make the playoffs

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboysFanSince88, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

1,985 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    What bugs me even more is when we try a pass on 1st down and it is incomplete or gains no to very little yards, which seems to be a JG specialty. Then on cue, we run some stupid delayed draw on 2nd down, usually resulting in no yards to a 3-4 yard loss, setting up a 3rd and long, where a lot of the times, we pass to Witten for about 7 yards and he falls down.
  2. sunbum

sunbum Active Member

699 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    ^This^

AND go for the jugular on 2nd and short
  3. e41dalasfan

e41dalasfan New Member

109 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    True story
  4. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,234 Messages
    451 Likes Received
    According to Bob Sturm, who tracks 1st down play calling, we've had 95 drives with a 46 Run/49 Pass ratio on the 1st down play of an opening drive.
  5. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    This is a topic where I'll cut Garrett some slack - even if everyone was running gos. Last season, Romo completed 54% of his 20+ yard passes, not dramatically different from his mid-range accuracy. It wasn't unreasonable to come into this season feeling like you were playing the odds by passing more on those down-and-distance situations.

It just hasn't worked out that way.
  6. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,142 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    This is what I wish Garrett would do:

Run when the defense is expecting pass.

Pass when the defense is expecting run.

If its 3rd and short why not run to the outside instead of up the middle.

If its 1st down and the defense is about to blitz, why not hand it off on a draw. We should have a audible to run the ball against the blitz.

At times let Romo wing it. Use the no huddle to mix up our offense and play a more up tempo style.

Many more I can list here but these are the few that I'm thinking about for now. But most of all I wish Garrett to be less predictable with this playcalling.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,392 Messages
    6,405 Likes Received
    This is kind of the whole point of allowing your QB a run/pass option on most plays.
  8. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

8,314 Messages
    957 Likes Received

Actually I believe quite a few teams do this. And as mebtioned by others, there are other options, but teams defense for that and take away the shorter routes.

And the short down running game hasn't been very good at picking up the first downs, so it seems.
  9. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,083 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    yeah because were usually up by 20 points...

said no cowboys fan ever circa garrett era
  10. CowboysFanSince88

CowboysFanSince88 Well-Known Member

4,023 Messages
    63 Likes Received

I seriously doubt a team takes away 4 yd passes on 3rd and 3 with the cushion that cornerbacks give in 2012
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,807 Messages
    1,230 Likes Received
    This...though that's not to say I always like the plays he calls.
    This also. The plays are designed, I think, to get man to man coverage. That's when you get big plays down the field, and Tony likes to take his shots. I don't think Tony gives a rip if its third down or not to be honest.
  12. CowboysFanSince88

4,023 Messages
    63 Likes Received

Well if that's true then that will be one of the reasons he is not a top 5 QB in the league. As a NFL QB you have to be concerned with keeping a drive alive.
  13. Bluestang

5,234 Messages
    451 Likes Received

Why would a team or in reality defensive coordinator allow and offense to pick up an easy first down on a 3rd and short?

It's 3rd and short, you play defense to get off the field...

Do you guys listen to yourselves sometimes?
  14. CowboysFanSince88

4,023 Messages
    63 Likes Received

That's what I always thought but do not tell me you have not seen a CB playing 9 yds off the receiver on 3rd and 6?

That's why I always stated the CB is the most useless position on any NFL team and the max salary should be $90,000
  15. Bluestang

5,234 Messages
    451 Likes Received
    3rd and 6 is considered a passing situation unless your offensive coordinator has given up on the drive and calls a safe run play to punt.

Some schemes play off coverage, like the Atlanta Falcons, to play to their corners strengths.
  16. Bwareinrings94

Bwareinrings94 Active Member

508 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    My favorite is when it's 3rd and 1 and we take all the WRs out of the game and pretend we are physical. I don't know how teams keep stopping that play when they must start the play laughing hysterically.

Other than that, I can accept the low percentage down the sideline 20 yard throw on 3rd and 3.
  17. CowboysFanSince88

4,023 Messages
    63 Likes Received

But why play off coverage if the yds needed for the 1st down is 5 or less?

I would think the coverage would be man to man.
  18. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,816 Messages
    121 Likes Received

yeah, no coach has ever thrown a deep pass on a 3rd down. why don;'t you go and watch the atlanta game and see how many times did they do that to us. while you add it, take out the bears tape and see that too.

when it works, its great. when it doesn't fans like you become arm chair coaches.
  19. Bluestang

5,234 Messages
    451 Likes Received

Why would you play a corner in tight man to man coverage if he's not good at it?
  20. CowboysFanSince88

4,023 Messages
    63 Likes Received

But how does a corner even make the team if he is not good at it?