1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If Garrett's out after season, who takes the helm?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dcstands4, Nov 13, 2013.

1. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,315 Messages
    2,873 Likes Received
    If that is the reasoning behind hiring Lovie then I am against it.
  2. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

1,837 Messages
    996 Likes Received
    Alright, I know I am gonna get killed here. But of the types of coaches that would probably be willing to work in Jerry;s atmosphere....I would not mind Ken Whisenhunt. His last year in Arizona, he had to use like 4 startings QBs- and at best they were back-up material.

Again, I am not saying he is the best candidate. I am saying for the type of guy who would accept the position, this guy would be my choice.
    stasheroo likes this.
  3. Wheeltax

Wheeltax Well-Known Member

861 Messages
    378 Likes Received
    Wouldn't be a bad candidate, I don't think - he's doing a pretty good job in SD
  4. dupree89

1,837 Messages
    996 Likes Received
    his mistake in Arizona- if you wanna call it a mistake- is that he never found a guy to replace Kurt Warner. His last season in Arizona, he was 5-11 using a bunch of real bad QBs. Outside of that season where nothing went right at QB, he was exactly .500 and won the division twice.. He was 4-2 in the post season, including a trip to the Super Bowl. Thats where his .500 record or thereabouts, is different than Garrett's.
  5. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,233 Messages
    1,977 Likes Received
    So your MLB is dropping back into zone coverage when the other team is doing straight handoffs?

If the other team does not even have any WRs in the game and all they are doing is handoffs straight up the gut...............why the hell would anybody be in zone coverage and not on the line of scrimmage?

Thats coaching........incompetent coaching......thats on Garrett.........if you want to give the players a pass.
  6. black label

black label Active Member

177 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    jones will always be at the helm thats just the way it is
  7. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,812 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    Jimmy Johnson returns. Talk about ratings and keeping the Cowboys relevant for the next half decade without doing anything, right up Jerry Jones' alley.

Aha, I originally posted this as a joke but am now thinking it might be a possible direction we go in.. Jimmy is 70 which isn't all that bad and I actually would be very happy...
  8. dupree89

1,837 Messages
    996 Likes Received

Nice to see you posting! I havent seen you around lately. Jimmy would be classic return wouldnt it? Poor Jerry couldnt take it. If the last Cowboys Super Bowl was won with Jimmy's players and then the team goes into a 15-17 yr dry spell....only to turn it around again when Jimmy returns.....Oh boy. THIS is something Jerry just would not be able to deal with. lol
  9. Cowboy Brian

11,812 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    It'd be a story for the football ages if Jimmy came back here and won us a Lombardi. Plus it would instantly become the biggest story of the offseason, which would be a huge motivator for Jerry... Might be worth pondering a bit, it might be a possibility.
  10. dupree89

1,837 Messages
    996 Likes Received

You see my point though? Jerry would have a lot of problems accepting that in between the Jimmy Johnson stints, there was many years of disastrous football.
  11. Cowboy Brian

11,812 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    Good point but I don't think that would be a problem until after Jimmy accomplished something with us again.. If Jimmy's interested I don't think Jerry will think beyond the offseason of national news coverage constantly and making the Cowboys the #1 storyline for next season.
    dupree89 likes this.
  12. dupree89

1,837 Messages
    996 Likes Received

stranger things have happened. IE....George Steinbrenner/ Billy Martin.
  13. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

1,588 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    We were simply outplayed and out coached as I've stated before in reference to the game. On the kneel down I noticed we didn't attack. We quit on the last play too lol. Move on! Done with ya!
  14. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,138 Messages
    1,022 Likes Received
    That's not a bad idea at all.
  15. sadams

sadams Well-Known Member

1,137 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Bill Bates!
  16. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

533 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    Jerry just might be desperate enough to consider it.

And these two boys could show that they've grown up a little bit.

With age comes maturity, but more age brings senility. (might be the latter)
  17. lqmac1

lqmac1 Well-Known Member

1,095 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    Nick Saban got handed 1 of the worst teams in NFL history. You don't win multiple Nat. Championships w 2 diff schools being a mediocre coach. I'd love to have Saban.
    Common Sense likes this.
  18. Pokeness

Pokeness Member

141 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Joke --
    Q. Why can't Nick Saban win in the NFL like he does in college?

A. The other team's players get paid too!
  19. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,802 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Exactly. Besides the point that Jimmy is quite happy where he is on the TV set, Jerry hiring him back would be an admission that after 20 years he could not win without him.

Not going to happen. Ever.
    stasheroo likes this.
  20. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,439 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    To be fair to Nick Saban, he coached the Dolphins to a better record than Garrett has ever coached the Cowboys to.